Love as Bitter as It Ever Was

Their Final Stand

I raced over to where I had seen her, momentarily tearing my stare from her eyes, as I jumped over rotten tree roots.

I looked back up, still running towards where she had been, but her eyes were gone.

I searched for hours, literally hours.

Running around in circles, tracing the air for her scent.

But it wasn’t there, instead there was a different scent, one of a vampires.

I presumed to be someone from the camp.

Eventually I gave up, and walked, with my head hung, back to my home.

I was walking up the driveway, by now dawn was approaching.

Suddenly one of the messengers came running up to me, sweat dripping down his forehead, his chest rising heavily from running so far.

“Sir! Sir! The werewolves are to make their final stand tonight.”

I looked up at him, sideways.

Their final stand?

Were they expecting to die?

Were they expecting to win?

Were they really going to give back her body?

The sudden adrenaline rush, brought on by those few words, sent me running inside, thanking the young boy on the way.

I ran into my office, which used to be occupied by my most trusted of men.

And then realised something.

I had none left.

I was alone.

I turned to walk out, and was met with the hollow eyes of my wife-to-be.

“Donovan. Where have you been? It’s almost dawn! Do you wish to die!?”

“Yes.” I mumbled quietly.

“Don’t lecture me Anya. I don’t need it right now. The werewolves are to make their final stand this evening, I need to be rested.” I pushed past her, leaving her stood speechless on the spot, as I walked to my room.

Flopping down onto my bed, sleep overcame me, and all I dreamt of was those eyes.

**

“What do you say Kale? Will you give up her body? Or will you condemn these young pups of yours to death? It is your choice Kale. One word from me and they are dead.”

I stood out in front of my army, their weak collection on young wolves, hardly out of nappies yet, stood, twitching and fidgeting, waiting for death, stood in front of me.

Kale leading them.

I had over 300, he had around…100, maybe.

And none of them trained in the art of war.

We stood each on one end of the common ground.

All there was between us, was a faded patch of slightly red ground.

And I tried so hard not to look at it, knowing what the source once was.

I felt movement to my right, but just presumed it to be more of his young wolves.

I faced him, watching as he stared at me, calculating my every move.

He looked broken, older than he had.

He looked depressed, and he looked like I felt.

But this was my chance.

To get her back, surely he would not condemn his young wolves to death?

“We will fight.”