Learning to Fall

So Inviting

(Martin’s POV)
“Where is she? What happened?” I asked as me, Bryan, and John made our way into the morgue and saw that Paul had been banged up. I came as soon as I could and was on my way to the hospital when Paul had given me a brief call that he and Alex had been attacked.

“Alex is fine but shaken up. The doctor thinks I might have a slight concussion, thanks for asking.” Paul replied sarcastically.

“I’m sorry man.” I said noticing his head was bandaged.

“It’s ok. That detective has been trying to get info about what happened from me and Alex. Alex is refusing to talk. It’s like she is in a zone but I guess that’s good. W e can’t have him asking questions about a dead man who is a vampire.

We were right man. Jeff is one of them. Alex wanted to be left alone with him before we staked him to make sure he was dead so I let her. I figured it couldn’t hurt but I heard her scream and came running in. Alex was just having a moment and so I went to hug her and Jeff came back early.

The next thing I know I am being thrown against the wall where the bodies are kept and knocked out, hence the head wound. I come to and Jeff is trying to strangle Alex. I managed to stake him but not in the heart. It was enough for us to get away but he followed as we tried to get out of this place. The detective saw him and tried to shoot him but as we know, bullets don’t stop a vampire. I think you may need to use that persuasion thing you have to block it out or convince everyone in this room that what they saw did not really happen.” Paul explained.

“Thanks.” I nodded and walked over to where Paul pointed out the detective.

I started talking to the detective and shook his hand. In the whole conversation we had, which wasn’t long, I had him convinced that what had happened, didn’t. I managed to block it out of everyone’s minds that saw what happened here other then Paul and Alex. If I use my abilities on more then one person it starts to drain me so I tried to be careful so that I wouldn’t have to steal a snack from a lab or something when I was done.

I walked over to the room that Alex was sitting in and shooed away the cops that had been trying to ask her questions. She was sitting with her knees up in a chair. She had her body leaning over her legs. I could tell that she had been crying at one time.

“Alex, its Martin.” I said as I approached her.

It was like Alex was in a trance. Other then her eyes normally blinking, she didn’t even look up at me. I snapped my fingers in front of her face and got nothing. I looked at her hands wrapped around her legs and noticed a beautiful engagement ring. So Alex was right about that night. Jeff was going to propose to her. The cops must have found the ring on him when they brought his body in. I had to admit that it was a gorgeous ring. It reminded me of something from the past.

“Alex, look at me.” I said in a calm tone as I kneeled on the floor in front of her chair. I carefully took her hands in mine. It took her a minute but when she felt my hands she started to look at me.

“Alex are you ok?” I asked.

“Martin?” She blinked.

“I told you I would be here as soon as I could.” I smiled.

“Jeff is alive and he….he tried to kill me. He’s coming back for me. He said it wasn’t over and I can feel it.” She managed to get out. “I tried to stake him. He was just too strong for me. His hands went around my neck…” She trailed.

“Shh, it’s ok. I won’t let him hurt you, I promise. “You are safe with me.” I said helping her up, out of the chair.

“I just want to go home.” She replied.

“I can do that.” I said.

I dropped off the guys and drove Alexandra home. She opened the gate and I pulled into her driveway. We both stepped out of the car I borrowed from Bryan, since Paul had my SUV. I watched as she fumbled for her keys.

“He can’t come in unless I invite him, right or since he has been here before when he was alive does he have full reign of my house?” Alex nervously asked.

“Your Jeff is gone. All that remains is the vampire. He has Jeff’s memories but it’s not him. He is not allowed in your home unless you invite him in.”

“I still don’t feel safe. I feel like he is out there waiting somewhere or planning something.” She replied.

“Look, when you are safe inside, I will do a patrol around your house and neighborhood, ok?” I said trying to make her feel better.

“No, don’t leave me. I…I just don’t think I can be alone tonight with everything that has just happened.” She said with those eyes of hers convincing me to stay.

“You aren’t suggesting that I…” I didn’t get to finish.

“I trust you and only you. I feel safe around you, Martin. I can’t explain it. I know you warned me against you but…” She said.

“Don’t say it.” I replied.

“I invite you in to stay with me.” She said not knowing the danger she was putting herself into.

“You just did a stupid thing.” I said upset.

“I might have but it’s either you or Jeff invading my thoughts or property and I would rather choose you.” She said as she opened her door and led me in.

“I’m going to change.” She said heading upstairs and leaving me to look around her house. It was nice.

“This is a pretty impressive house that you live in.” I yelled.

“Thanks. I couldn’t sell it even though I know I should. I grew up in this house and it’s the only thing I have left that reminds me of my parents.” She said coming down the stairs.

“Wow.” I replied as she was wearing a tank top and shorts to sleep in.

“Um, I know you think that this is a bad idea but can you at least just stay until I fall asleep?” She asked.

“Well, I guess I can do that.” I said trying to keep my emotions in check.