The Way, the Truth, the Light

Garden Party

GERARD

As he swung open the creaky black gate at the end of Mikey’s front path, the front door swung open and Alicia bounced out the house.

‘Gerard! You made it! We’re all waiting for you, where were you?’ She frowned, but he knew she wasn’t really angry, there was a twinkle I her eyes, and she was holding her arms out for a hug.

‘Not much, just lost track of time, sorry.’

She smiled and pulled him into the house and through to the back garden. ‘No worries, at least you finally made it.’

Everyone was there in the back garden and they all called out hello to him from their various positions around the garden. Frank, Jamia, Mikey, Trixie and Bob were sitting around the garden table, all laughing at a joke that Ray, who was standing behind them with Dana, had just told them. Across the grass, Tom, Callum, Lucy, Tim, Anabel and Mira were sitting on a picnic blanket, eating while Dan fiddled with the barbeque behind them as he balanced a sleeping Nancy on his shoulder.

He called out a quick ‘hi’ to everyone at the table and wandered over to Dan.

‘Want me to hold Nancy for you?’

‘Gerard!’ He spun around, ‘Hey dude, you made it!’

He nodded and gave Dan a quick hug, before taking Nancy. Nancy was his goddaughter and he could never get over how adorable she was- her curly golden hair was scented with strawberries and she clung to him with her small podgy hands. He nestled his face in her hair before turning back to Dan.

‘Sorry I was late. I met someone.’

Dan looked up quickly. ‘What’s she like?’

‘Really nice. We kind of hit it off.’

Dan smiled. He and Gerard had been friends since primary school. They knew each other inside out. Recently, Dan and Mikey had been worried about Gerard. He seemed sad when all the friends got together, and they thought it was because of all the couples- maybe he felt left out? But he never said anything, and he was always visiting them. He never missed a get together, so when he hadn’t turned up today, they had been very worried, especially as he wouldn’t answer his phone. But now, with this explanation, Dan was elated. He could be as late as he wanted if it meant that he found a girlfriend! He hadn’t been with anyone, since his last girlfriend , Candia, cheated on him.

Dan thought out his next sentence slowly before tentatively voicing it.

‘So... Are you going to ring her? Meet up sometime?’ He smiled encouragingly.

Gerard was staring into the distance with a little smile on his face, ‘Yes. I think I might call her tonight actually.’

Dan grinned, and did a mental celebratory dance. ‘That’s great Gerard!’

He smiled. ‘I know; time to finally move on, eh?’

Dan grinned. He glanced back at the barbeque and swore, ‘Ahhh; the sausages!’

Gerard left him to it, and went to sit next to Mikey at the table.

Everyone was talking and the subtle buzz of conversation floated around the garden. He felt the happiest he had felt in a long time; there was an unfamiliar feeling in the pit of his stomach, which he guessed was either nerves or anticipation.

Mikey was looking at him curiously, ‘You’re happy?’

Gerard nodded, ‘Mhmm. I met someone today.’

Mikey’s eyes lit up, but other than that, he didn’t show his happiness. ‘That’s good. What’s she like?’

‘She’s quiet at first but really she is loud, and bubbly. She is funny and witty, but thoughtful at the same time. She’s tall and she ash dark hair with natural reddish streaks in it. Her eyes are brown and... Well, we just hit it off, straight away.’

Mikey was listening in awe, was his brother finally going to be happy. But then, it was very early on, and there was no use getting hi hopes up. However; it was the most hope there had ever been since Candia, for which he was glad.

He looked across the garden and caught, a rather flustered looking Dan’s eye. Dan nodded to indicate that he knew too, and grinned. ‘It’s great, isn’t it?’ He mouthed. Mikey nodded. Suddenly Alicia came up behind him and whispered, ‘Time to make the announcement, yeah?’

Mikey nodded, and they stood up.

‘Excuse me everyone, we’d like to make an announcement.’

An excited hush fell over the garden, and all eyes (except those of Nancy, who was still asleep and dreaming) turned towards them.

Mikey looked towards Alicia and she nodded encouragingly for him to continue.

‘Well, we gathered you all together, to tell you that, um, me and Alicia, well, we’re having twins!’

Cheers erupted around the garden and Gerard jumped up and gave them both a hug. He smiled, could things get any better?
♠ ♠ ♠
not sure about this chapter. do you like it?