Elementalist

Chapter 41-Hex

I leaned against the building, re-wrapping my bloody hands in the warm cloth. It had been nearly an hour since I forced Nick to wander the town by himself.

“Well?” I asked Nick who grinned, broadly, at me. He held open his backpack, filled with food.

“Food here is excellent, Hex!” Nick laughed, “And the best part is, I didn’t spend all my money! Everything here is a few cents, let alone a few dollars!”

I wasn’t very surprised. I yawned and shook my head, “Really, Nick? That’s cool. Anyways, let’s keep moving.”

“We aren’t going to stay here, Hex?!” Nick sounded alarmed and I started to walk ahead again.

“No, we need to make up for lost ground that we missed for that hour,” I answered, gradually walking without him in my shadow, “now hurry up or you’ll lose me.”

I heard him running after me and his footsteps matched mine, “Hey, Hex?”

“What, Nick?” I asked, rubbing the insides of my hand on my thigh through my pant’s pockets.

“Do you have any ideas where we are going?” he asked. I sighed.

“I got a letter from Rachel today, Nick, and it told me where to find her, “I looked around the darkness, “it looks like we’re here.”

The moonlight casted an eerie glow on the ground and the water led out on the right of us. “Really, Hex?”

“Yeah, Nick, we can sleep now,” I yawned and fell onto the sandy ground. Nick followed my lead and was out in an instant. I stayed awake and watched the yellow stars; it wasn’t long until I was out as well.