‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Answers

Kevin’s POV

“Excuse me miss, can you buzz the door open? I need to see my girlfriend.”

“Yes, sir,” the lady responded. After mumbling thanks, I opened the door and walked quickly through the office. Realizing I had no idea what room Dina was in, I ran back to the front desk.

“Sorry, but can you tell me what room Dina Cordon is in?”

“She’s in room nine, the fourth room on your left.”

“Thanks again,” I responded.

Quickly turning on my heel, I walked down the hallway and stopped in front of the door with a large, golden nine on it. I clenched a fist and raised my arm. Pausing only to let out a deep sigh, I pushed my arm forward until it made contact with the door. I repeated the action one more time. As I was going for the third, the door opened, revealing a man in a white coat.

“Well hello there,” the doctor said to me. That’s when I saw her. Dina’s head appeared from behind the doctor, as if she was peeking around him to see who came in. She didn’t look as surprised as I thought she would. Did she know I was coming? She did however, look like a deer in headlights, like she feared this moment.

“Hi Kevin,” Dina said, feeling conquered.

“Hey Dee,” I replied. Awkward tension filled the room and no one knew what to do. The doctor kept looking back and forth, from me to Dina.

“Well, I’m going to go put this prescription in. I’ll be back in a little bit to wrap you up. Alright, Dina?”

“Yes. Thank you, Dr. Morrison.”

The doctor quickly exited the room. I don’t blame him. I wish I could get away from the tension, but seeing that I was half of the reason for it, I couldn’t leave. I wanted my questions answered. I needed my questions answered. Dina was holding a cloth to her arm. I couldn’t tell what was wrong.

“Why are you here? And Dina, before you start, please don’t lie to me. I can’t deal with lies right now.”

“I’m sorry Kevin, about this entire thing.”

“Just tell me what’s wrong.”

“Where do I begin?”

“First, tell my why my brother’s girlfriend rushed you to a doctor.”

“Okay,” she said, letting out a sigh. “I was at Starbucks this morning. The girl in line glared at me as I got in line behind her, but I didn’t think anything of it. She got her drink, took off the top, and threw it on me.” She looked down at the cloth she was holding on her arm. “That’s how I got this,” she said, removing it.

“Oh my God,” was all I could get out, looking at the swollen, red patch of skin on her forearm.

“She yelled at me, for being with you. She called me a dirty slut and a whole bunch of other words you probably don’t want to hear.”

“This is why you broke up with me?”

“I guess I wasn’t ready to go public, Kevin. The things people are saying about me are appalling and probably true.”

“Dina, why do care what people think? This is about me and you. I love you and you love me. Why should anything else matter?”

“You don’t know what it’s like going in public only to be met by hateful looks and people whispering to each other, ‘she’s not good enough for a Jonas.’ It’s only been one night and it’s already horrible. It’s just going to get worse. You know I’m fragile, Kev. I can’t deal.”

“Let me help you get through this, Dina. Please, just don’t leave.”

“That’s another thing. I actually am leaving.”

“What? Leaving?”

“I got a promotion. I’m moving to New York.”

“Oh um, wow. Congratulations. When do you leave?”

“Friday.”

“This Friday? Dina, that’s in four days.”

“I know Kevin, but that’s when they need me to start.”

“So you broke up with me because of what other people think and because of some distance.”

“I know this seems dumb right now. But in the long run, I think it’ll be better for both of us. You need someone who is around for you all the time. I can’t be that person right now. You deserve better than me and what I have to offer you.”

“You don’t understand, Dina. There is no one better for me. I love you with everything I have.”

“Kevin, please don’t do this.” The tears that were forming in her eyes began to fall. I pulled her into a hug. Resting my chin on the top of her head, I let her cry into my chest. I can’t live without this. I can’t live without her.

“So this is it?”

“I’m so sorry, Kevin. I just think it’s for the best right now.”

On cue, the door opened and Dr. Morrison walked back in. I pulled away from Dina, letting her slip from my grip.

“Sorry to interrupt, but I need to wrap your arm, Dina,” Dr. Morrison said.

“Oh, right. Let’s do that.”

Dr. Morrison grabbed the ointment and began giving Dina directions on when she should use it and how much of it she should use. Silence filled the room as he wrapped her arm.

“Uh Dina, I’m going to go. I’ll uh, talk to you later. I hope you feel better, and I’m sorry about what happened.”

“Thank you, Kevin. I’m sorry too.”

With one last smile, I left my ex-girlfriend as I left room nine. Those two letters, e-x, made me cringe as they appeared in a thought about Dina. I walked down the hallway towards the door to the waiting room.

“Thank you, again,” I said to the secretary as I passed by her desk.

“No problem. I hope your girlfriend is okay.” My eyes were immediately attracted to the floor.

“What girlfriend?” I said, under my breath. I opened the door and looked straight ahead at the door in front of me. I’m going to walk through that door a single man. “Let’s go, Nick.”

“Kevin, are you okay?” Megan asked. I didn’t respond. What was I supposed to say? ‘I’m doing just great, I’m single but I don’t want to be’? Nick walked over to me and opened the door. The air hit me like never before. I took a deep breath as his hand on my back slightly pushed me to the door, telling me it was okay to go.

When I came in contact with the California sun, I moved the sunglasses from the top of my head to cover my eyes. “Let me handle Kevin. You go take care of your other friend,” I heard Nick say. I turned around and waited for him to catch up.

“What was that about?” I asked, walking towards the car.

“Megan and I just got in a little disagreement but don’t worry about it. How are you? You gonna be okay?”

“I don’t want to talk about me. What was the disagreement about?” Nick remained silent as we climbed into the car. Turning on the engine, I looked at him while placing my seatbelt across my body. “Oh God Nick, don’t tell me you fought over…” I replayed what Nick had just said before making the realization. Let me handle Kevin. You go take care of your other friend.

Nick’s POV

“I’m sorry, Kevin,” I pleaded.

“I’m not the one you should be apologizing to, Nick. What did you say to her?” Kevin questioned me sternly.

“I, um, you’re going to be mad at me,” I warned.

“Nick, what did you say?”

“I told her she was being too nice to Dina and that you should be her first priority.”

“Are you kidding me, Nick?! What is your problem? You should be happy that your girlfriend cherishes friendships and relationships as much as she does. You should be happy that your girlfriend is as loyal to you as she is. And you should sure as hell be ecstatic that your girlfriend is still your girlfriend.

Kevin’s words hit me at a hundred miles per hour. It was that moment that I had a complete change of heart. I messed up, and I officially knew it.

“Why do I always screw up?”

“Compare how many times you’ve screwed up with Megan to how many times you’ve come home from being with her with a smile on your face that I couldn’t wipe off even if I smashed your favorite green guitar.” I laughed at Kevin’s analogy before getting serious again.

“Honestly Kevin, why are you always right?”

“Well Nick, I’m older than you and when I go through shit like I’m going through now, I learn a lot.”

I nodded as Kevin pulled into our gated driveway. Kevin and I got out of the car and met at the front. Holding out his hand, Kevin presented me with his keys. I eyed them before meeting Kevin’s eyes again.

“Go fix the mistake you made, moron,” he said with a smile. I laughed, grabbing the keys and pulling him into a hug.

“Thanks, Kev. I love you, man.”

“I love you too, kid bro.”

Twenty minutes later, I pulled up to Megan’s house. If it weren’t for L.A. traffic, I could have gotten there in half the time. I parked my car and walked up the driveway. As I walked passed Megan’s car, I could tell she couldn’t have parked it more than five minutes ago. I needed to do something unique, something special, to show Megan how truly sorry I am. I was a jerk and I need to show her take I am taking full responsibility.

I began walking up the front path and stopped in my tracks. Turning around, I walked through the gate, leading myself into the backyard. I looked up at the balcony outside of Megan’s room. The door was slightly open. She always leaves it open when she wants a slight breeze to come in. So I did the one thing that makes me feel better, the one way I know to portray my feelings. I sang.

So, I wanna tell you I’m sorry. Baby, I can’t find the words. But, if I could, than you know I would, yeahhhhhh.

I paused momentarily. Not wanting to start the next part until I knew she was listening, I waited for a sign. That sign came when Megan stuck her head out the door, peaking over the balcony.

No, I won’t let go. No why we can be. I won't watch my life crashing down on me. As I had it all right there before my eyes, yeahhhh. Girl I’m sorry now you were the last thing on my mind.

By the time I finished, Megan’s elbows were resting on the balcony railing and she watched me carefully. Megan stood up straight and placed her hands on the railing. Pushing herself off, she disappeared from my sight.

I couldn’t tell if Megan was angry or not. She didn’t say anything to me, which makes me think she is. I sighed, sitting down on the brick wall that outlines the Gibson’s path in the backyard. Placing my head in my hands, I couldn’t help but feel like I fell short this time. But when I heard the back door open behind me, my hopes raised.

“Nick,” Megan said. I looked at her and watched her walk towards me. She sat next to me and placed a hand on my knee.

“Megan, I am so sorry. I shouldn’t have said any of those things. I was caught up in the moment and Kevin’s frustration rubbed off on me. I hate seeing my brother like this and it just makes me upset and I took it out on you for no reason at all. But that is no excuse. I think it’s great that you’re helping Dina and you are so loyal to all your friends. I know I am always the one apologizing to you, but I’m not perfect and I’m going to make mistakes. But that’s why we have each other. To help each other realize when the other is wrong and to help the other learn from it.”

“It’s okay, Nick. I know with everything going on people’s emotions are all over the place. It just kind of hurt, you accusing me of not feeling that my relationship with Kevin is important, because Kevin means a lot to me. But I know it was the heat of the moment, and I wasn’t any nicer than you were.”

“I’m sorry Meg, more than I can express to you.” I placed my hand over Megan’s hand that was resting on my knee. My other hand found its way to the back of Megan’s head, pulling it towards me.

When our lips met, the spark that always flies between us was present again, giving me the sign that everything is going to be all right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song Credit: "Last Thing On My Mind" by Ronan Keating&Leann Rimes.
Merry Christmas, Krista! hahah. love!

Do you like it? Please let me know!
Comment :)