‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Those Big White Letters

Megan’s POV

February 14th. Everyone knows it, but not everyone loves it. Valentine’s Day can either be the happiest or the loneliest day of the year. It’s a holiday solely dedicated to the one you’re with. If you’re with someone, it’s a chance to be romantic and to show your love for one another. If you’re not with someone, there’s an entire day to remind you that, well, you’re not with someone.

Joe and Pamela are doing just fine. For Valentine’s Day, Joe rented out a large sailboat for the night. They are going to take a sunset cruise and have dinner under the stars. I can’t remember the last time I have seen Joe as excited as he is for their special date.

Nick and I are still going strong. He planned our entire day and wouldn’t let me do a thing. Knowing Nick, he probably is doing something elaborate and over the top. Nick doesn’t understand that for me, being with him is enough. However, the stuff he plans is always fun, so I have absolutely no complaints.

Unfortunately for the Jonas family, there is still a combination of happiness and loneliness. The four of us often discuss what we can do to help Kevin. Nick, Joe, and Pamela are always coming up with crazy group dates and trying to play matchmaker for him. But I always convince them not to go through with it. Of the four of us, I know the most about the situation. I’ve talked to Kevin, and I can tell he wants and needs to move on at his own pace.

It’s been about two weeks since Dina left the west coast. I am the only person that has had contact with her since. She doesn’t call or text me, but I’ve gotten two or three emails from her. New York has been great to her thus far and with her new job that she absolutely adores, she’s been quite the busy girl. I can tell she misses Kevin by the way she asks about him. She’s just too afraid to admit that she misses him just as much as he misses her.
____________________________________________________________

“Hey sweetie.”

A huge grin came over Nick’s face as I opened my wooden front door. I enthusiastically opened the glass door, the last line of defense between Nick and me. Upon walking through the door, Nick instantly wrapped his arms around me, slightly lifting me off the floor. He waited until my feet were perfectly flat on the floor before attacking my lips with his own.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, my love,” Nick said, his lips still lingering near mine.

“Same to you, baby.”

“Sorry I’m later than I said I would be. Work doesn’t care what day it is or that I have very important plans.” I laughed at Nick’s serious face after that comment.

“It doesn’t matter. You’re here now. It doesn’t affect whatever you have planned does it?”

“It won’t if we leave right now.”

Nodding, I grabbed my purse from the staircase and yelled goodbye to whoever in the house could hear it. Nick opened the door and allowed me to exit first. I smiled at him and his gentlemanly ways. Thank you Denise and Paul. Nick caught up to me after shutting the door and laced his fingers with mine. I laughed as he began to swing out hands back and forth.

“You’re acting really silly,” I noticed.

“I’m just really excited for tonight. Do you want me to contain my silliness?”

“Absolutely not!”

“Good, because I don’t think I can.”

Laughing, I climbed into Nick’s car as he held the door open for me. As soon as he shut it, he jogged around the front of the car to join me. After the typical pre-driving things were done, seatbelt on, radio on, mirror check, Nick looked over at me and smirked.

“Are you ready?”

“I sure hope so.”

When we were set on the road, Nick placed his left hand on the top of the wheel and his right hand on my knee. I had no idea where we were going, but Nick’s excitement was basically radiating out of his skin. Conversation flowed easily between us as we drove down Route 101. We continued our drive, eventually turning on Franklin Avenue, followed by Beechwood Drive.

As we pulled up to a big gate, the slight idea I had of where we were going somehow became a reality. Nick had taken me to Mt. Lee, famous for the big white letters mounted into the side of it. We were at the Hollywood Sign, quite possibly the most famous landmark in the entertainment industry.

“Nick?”

“Yeah, sweetie?” he asked as a smile grew across his face.

“What are we doing here?”

“Hold on, you’re about to find out.”

Nick stopped the car in front of the big gate and put it in park. He looked over at me and grinned as he unbuckled his seatbelt. I mirrored his actions, still perplexed. Just then, I watched a man in a full navy blue uniform step out of the little control booth. I got out of the car, meeting Nick at the front of it. Grabbing my hand, he led me over to the man walking towards us. His silver badge glistened in the sunlight.

“Hello again, Nick!”

“Hey Chief Bratton. This is my girlfriend, Megan. Megan, this is William Bratton, chief of the L.A.P.D.”

I sent Nick an impressed look before turning back to the Chief. “Hi Chief. It’s very nice to meet you.”

“Likewise, Megan. I’m a big fan of yours. You’re gifted on that field.”

“Oh, thank you very much,” I replied, feeling my cheeks turn slightly warmer at the compliment.

“Alright, Nick. You’re all set. Follow me.”

Nick slung his arm around my neck as we followed Chief Bratton to the control booth. We walked through one door before proceeding through another. After walking through the second door, we were back outside and on the other side of the gate.

“There you go kids. Don’t do anything destructive and make me regret this decision,” Chief Bratton said sternly, before breaking the seriousness with a deep laugh.

“You have nothing to worry about, Chief Bratton. Thank you so much for doing this,” Nick replied.

“You know, I wouldn’t do this for just anyone. I like you two. I like what you’re both about. You’re good-hearted young adults, and the world could use some more like you.” I smiled as Chief Bratton shook Nick’s hand and my hand before walking back into the control booth.

“Come on,” Nick eagerly said, pulling my arm nearly out of its socket.

Nick led me a little further down the dirt path. We reached a larger, more open area, with a satellite tower and a fence. Dropping Nick’s hand, and smiling as I did it, I jogged over to the fence and looked down. I peered over the big white letters and looked at the Los Angeles skyline. Appreciating the sight, because not many are allowed to see it, I smiled as Nick snaked his arms around my waist. He pulled me off the fence and into his chest.

“Do you like it?”

“Nick, this is incredible. How did you do this?”

“We’re pretty tight with Chief Bratton. He’s helped us out a lot. So I asked him for a favor, to hook me up with allowing us to come up here. He didn’t hesitate for a second before saying yes. I wanted our first Valentine’s Day to be special. I think this is pretty special.”

I spun around in Nick’s arms and smiled as I placed my arms around his neck. His smile copied mine effortlessly. After pressing my lips against his, our smiles morphed into one as our lips fit perfectly together.

“Before we do anything, I’m stating the rules. Rule number one, no talk about soccer or music. Rule number two, no talk about Joe or Kevin or anybody else. And rule number three, well there is no rule number three. So come on, let’s eat,” Nick suggested.

“Eat?” Nick placed his hand on the top of my head and slid it down to my cheek. As he slightly began to turn my head, I questioned “where are we going to ea—” I was cut off when I noticed what he was turning my head towards. I was so excited to see the sign and the skyline that I completely didn’t take notice of the blanket spread out on the ground, covered in flower pedals. In the center of the blanket sat a large picnic basket.

“Oh my gosh, Nicholas.”

Nick took my hand in his without saying a word. As I sat on the blanket, I welcomed the incredibly soft material. Nick kneeled next to me and began to reveal the contents of the picnic basket. He handed me a plate, and I instantly felt my mouth begin to water.

“You did not!” I exclaimed.

“I did too!” Nick exclaimed back.

“Ah, I love you!” I yelled.

“Well, I hope you love me for more than the fact that I brought you a chicken caesar salad wrap.”

“Well, of course I do. But I love you for knowing that I find chicken caesar salad wraps to die for!”

Nick felt accomplished as he handed a napkin. As soon as Nick put his plate in his lap, I began eating without any further delay. Most girls are self conscious to eat in front of guys. Me? No way. After months with Nick, he knows that I eat like crazy and that I eat quickly.

I finished my wrap when Nick finished his first half. I laid down on my side, my elbow firmly planted on the blanket and my head being supported by my hand. I watched Nick eat as he talked in between bites. I didn’t think anyone could look good when they eat, but Nick sure does. I grinned after that thought processed in my head.

“What are you smiling about over there?” he asked.

“Oh, nothing,” I said, overemphasizing the last letter.

“Okay, now you have to tell me.”

“You know how people always look awkward when they’re eating?” Nick took another bite and nodded. “Well, I was just thinking about how you don’t. You look cute!”

Nick’s cheeks turned red as he took his last bite. He took my plate and his plate and put them back into the basket. Sliding the basket to another part of the blanket, Nick laid next to me, copying the exact position I was in. We were physically close, and I enjoyed it.

Closing the slight gap between us, Nick placed his lips onto mine. Gladly accepting his invitation, I opened my mouth to let him go about his daily explorations. The more intense things became, the happier I became. It sounds weird, but when Nick and I do things like this, it’s a whole different way for Nick to tell me he loves me. For me to tell Nick I love him.

After, I don’t know how long, of that, Nick slowly pulled his lips away from my mouth and pressed them to my forehead. “Are you ready for some dessert?”

“You mean, that wasn’t dessert?”

“Ha, ha, you’re so funny.”

“Thanks, Nick!” I said, copying his sarcastic tone.

I watched Nick sit up and fumble around with the remaining contents in the basket. He lifted out a plate and placed it right on front of me. My eyes grew bigger, staring at the delicious treat in front of me that Nick knows I love so much. Chocolate covered strawberries. The plate was decoratively arranged. The strawberries were placed along the outside of the plate. In the center, our anniversary date of 8.26.08 written in what looked like a chocolate pen.

“My Lord, what did I do to deserve the sweetest, most romantic boy on the face of the earth?” Nick let out an adorable laughing, causing me to giggle.

“You’re so cute when you giggle,” Nick commented. “Nah, I take that back. You’re so cute every second of your life.”

As I opened my mouth to respond, Nick held a strawberry up to my mouth. I accepted with no hesitation.

“Okay, this is the best chocolate covered strawberry I have ever tasted.”

“Then my work here is done.”

“These would make me happy no matter what is going on.”

“And what am I, chopped liver?”

“More than one thing can make me happy no matter what is going on.”

“Tell me I’m better than the strawberries.”

“I don’t know, Nick. That’s quite a bold statement.”

“Well strawberries can’t do this to you,” Nick replied, leaning in. He firmly pressed his lips to mine. The passion he sent from his body to mine was indescribable and like nothing I had ever felt before. “Can they?” he asked, after making his point clear enough.

“Nick, you’re not comparable to the strawberries.”

“Excellent,” he retorted.

Nick sat up and situated himself. Sitting with his legs spread apart, he pulled me into the space he created, wrapping his arms around my stomach, comfortably situating ourselves in each other’s presence.

“Are you ready?” Nick quietly whispered in my ear.

“For?”

“You’ll see. Just look ahead,” was his simple response.

After a few minutes, I knew exactly what Nick was referring to. As I watched the sun set over the Los Angeles skyline over the famous Hollywood Sign, I took the time to soak in the moment. I couldn’t find the words to express how perfect everything felt. The sky was yellow, pink, and beautiful, Nick’s grip on me was incredibly tight and incredibly comforting, and I just ate one of the best and most simple meals ever.

“Thank you,” I said, still looking straight ahead.

“For what?” Nick asked.

“Thank you for everything. Thank you for planning this amazing and unforgettable night. Thank you for being the person that you are. And thank you for, for loving me the way you do.”

“You’re welcome for everything. You deserve such a special evening. I am who I am today because of you. And you make it really easy for me to love you.”

Nick’s words unleashed butterflies in my stomach. He knew exactly what to say and exactly when to say it to make me feel special. I didn’t know how to express my feelings, so I said the only three words that could sort of describe them.

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Meg.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The holidays kept me busy. Sorry for taking so long with this!
I figured with all the drama lately, it was time for a cute chapter :)

let me know what you think!
and happy 2009!
xoxo