Turn The Other Way

Happy endings.

Date: July 7th 2008
Occasion: Brian and I’s 27th birthday.

“Happy birthday, baby,” Matt said as he wrapped his arms around my frame, kissing me lightly. I asked them not to throw a party, but guess what they did? They threw a party. Brian argued that it was solely for him… but I know better. In the backyard of Brian’s home, people were sitting around the lawn talking, conversing. People sipped on beers, and Laura braided Emma’s growing blond hair.

“What about me?!” Brian asked his once again brother and law.

Matt rolled his eyes, grinning. “Happy birthday, Brian.”

Brian grinned. “Why thank you, little brother.”

“Twenty four days, Brian!” Matt responded, whipping his body toward Brian’s.

“Yes, but you are still my little brother,” Brian replied from afar, his arm around Michelle. I laughed, but turned my attention back to Matt.

“It’s okay, I’ll disown him later,” I said with a laugh.

Brian scoffed. “You will not.”

“Wanna bet?” I asked him with a raised eyebrow and a smile playing on my lips.

“Aunt Lynn!” Emma said, running toward me.

I quickly broke away from Matt in enough time that she ran into my arms, me picking her up.

“What is it, babe?” I asked, smiling widely.

“Look what Mommy did!” she said, showing me the French Braid atop her head. He smiled at me, showing the two front teeth missing.

“I see that! Do you like it?” she nodded and I kissed her cheek.

“Happy birthday,” she said all cutesy.

“What about me?!” Brian asked once again, tickling Emma. She wiggled in my grasp, causing me to put her down. She ran from Brian, and he chased her. “It’s my birthday, too!” he yelled. Matt grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers and I leaned into him.

“Hey!” I turned my head to the voice, seeing a certain blonde run up to Matt and I. We both turned around just in time as Val finished walking up to us.

“Hey Val,” I replied, a smile on my face.

“Happy birthday,” she said, giving me a half sorta hug.

“Thanks, tell Brian that too or he’ll get pissed,” I said.

“We’ve witnessed it, “ Matt added.

Val chuckled. “I’ll be sure to do that.”

“Brian! Stop chasing her!” Laura yelled. Our attention shifted to Laura’s outburst. She stood, hands on her hips as Derek laughed beside her.

“But I’m having fun, Mommy!” Emma giggled.

“Yeah, Laura! She’s having fun!” Brian teased, running – slowly – after the little girl.

“Anyway,” Val said. “I’m here to give you this,” she said with a smile as she handed me a box. “Open it.”

I lightly laughed and took my hand away from Matt, opening the present. Val went ahead and took the paper away from me, crumpling it up as I stared at the box.

“A pregnancy test?” I asked her incredulously.

She laughed. “Why?” Matt asked, laughing a bit as well.

“Why not?” she asked right back. “When are you two going to have kids?”

This earned the attention of everyone around the back yard. It was like their ears were attuned to the word ‘kids.’

“Yeah, when are you?” Gena asked. Unwanted, the attention rose to Matt and I and everyone gathered in a half circle around us while Brian continued to chase after the giggling Emma.

“Um…” I started. “We’ve been trying,” I admitted. “So far, we’ve just gotten back negative tests.”

“Which means?!” Jimmy said, more than questioned. “More sex!”

“Jimmy! There’s a child present!” Leana chided, lightly slapping her fiancé’s chest.

“Let’s hope this one is a positive!” Michelle said.

I eyed her… and everyone else. “Why does everyone want me to be pregnant so badly?” I whimpered. “I mean… I’d get fat… and swollen… and… and fat…”

“But pregnant fat!” Johnny added.

“You’d still be beautiful, baby,” Matt whispered into my ear.

“What’d he say?!” Zacky asked.

“Zack! Stop prying into her life!” Gena scolded. I laughed.

“Like you aren’t?” I joked.

“Nope! I’m just gonna make sure you get pregnant so there can be a mini Matt running around,” she shot back.

“Oh God! NO!! NOT A MINI MATT!” Brian whined, falling to the ground and kicking his feet everywhere.

“Shut the fudge up, dude!” Matt laughed.

“Go take the test now!” Val said.

“I’m not pregnant,” I said being honest.

“When’d you last take a test?” Lacey asked.

“Last night.”

That was the end of that conversation.

“Where’s my presents?” asked Brian who had stopped throwing an Emma sized temper tantrum.

“What do you mean, ‘my presents?’ Who said you got anything?” Jimmy asked.

“What? No presents?! But… but it’s my birthday!”

“It’s Lynn’s birthday too,” Leana said. “But you don’t see her asking.”

“That’s cause she got stuff,” Brian explained. “Speaking of which, what’d you get her, Matt?”

“She’ll find out later,” he replied, wrapping an arm around my shoulders and pulling me close.

“Cough, sex, cough,” Johnny said.

“Oh, cute, Johnny. Very cute,” I replied. “Let’s go inside. I’m burning up and in there it’s nice and cool.”

Everyone agreed, and the make-shift party went into the house. We crowded around the living room, me immediately sitting down. Matt plopped down right next to me.

Zacky picked up the remote and turned on the television, changing it to the sports channel.

“Oh man! The game’s on!” Matt exclaimed, immediately sitting on the edge of the seat.

“Aww… do we have ta?” I whined.

“Yes,” Matt said simply.

“Oh, come on! Please! Change it… or… or something?!” Gena whined with me.

“No,” Zacky said bluntly, watching the television like his life depended on it.

“Pleeeease?!” Michelle said.

“No,” Brian replied.

“But it’s football! No one get’s football!” Leana joined.

“Shh,” Jimmy responded.

“Change the channel please!” Lacey added.

“No,” Johnny said.

“Change it!” I demanded.

“For the love of all that is mighty! Shut the hell up!” Brian yelled.

I laughed but stood up and stretched. “We should go somewhere.”

“We actually need to go, Derek has to go to Oklahoma tomorrow,” Laura said pulling me into a hug.

“Okay, thanks for coming, I guess,” I said. Laura and her family said their goodbyes and left soon after. “The offer still stands,” I asked the other five girls.

“Touchdown!” Matt screamed, jumping up and doing this weird… jig thing.

“Huh?” I asked.

“A touchdown is when…” Brian started.

“Shut the fuck up, dude. I know what a touchdown is. Matt was doing this weird jig thing.”

“What do you wanna do?” Lacey asked.

I shrugged. “It’s my birthday, you’ll figure something out,” I said with a grin.

“It’s mine too! Michelle! Gimme a lap dance!” Brian said.

Michelle laughed and shook her head. “Sorry, hun.”

“Aww man…”

“I know!” Val exclaimed after a moment’s thought. She pulled on my arm, and I grabbed on to Michelle’s, who in turn grabbed onto Lacey’s, who grabbed Gena’s who grabbed Leana’s. Wow. Domino effect.

“Where we going?” I asked as we were put into Val’s silver car.

“A store,” she tersely put.

“Why?” I asked.

“I think I know why,” Gena said with a knowing smile.

“And…?”

“Try to find you something that will defiantly get you pregnant.”

I groaned. “Guys… I don’t even know if I can. I’m losing hope. I mean… I’m twenty seven today. That’s pushing it.”

“There’ people who have kids in their forties!” Michelle said.

“No worries,” Val said backing out. “I’ll help.”

“Talk Sex With Valary DiBenedetto!” Leana mocked in a ‘host’ like voice.

“First volunteer, please!” Gena added. “Lynn Sanders!”

“Guys!” I laughed. “Stop. This is weird.”

“It’s cool… I understand…” Val said in a fake sob voice. She got onto the highway and continued to drive.

“This’ll be fun! Maybe the rest of us can get some things, too!” Lacey added.

“Well, duh.” Michelle laughed. “That’s the plan, I think.”

We continued driving to our destination where we shopped.

By the way, shopping with these girls in lingerie shops, nonetheless is both embarrassing and Hell… it’s Hell, for a better word. I had to try on everything that came my way but settled for a “Flyaway Sheer Babydoll,” which was black, and a black thong thing to go with it.

After paying, we decided to get a late lunch since Val was ‘starving,’ as she put it. We stood in line and I dug out my wallet.

“What can I get you?” the voice sounded nervous and strangely familiar, so I looked up. First to Michelle, who was glaring, then to Gena and Val, who were doing the same thing. I followed their eyes to the one who was currently in my book marked as EVIL.

Hm… EVIL and ELI go together, no?

By the way…

“What the fuck are you doing in California?!” I yelled. Eli’s eyes widened. “Are you fucking serious? Are you stalking me?! What the hell?”

“Lynn?” Leana asked.

“What the fuck dude?” I continued.

“I-I,” he stuttered.

“What? Was the beating Matt gave you not enough?”

“N-No,” he continued to stammer.

“Fuck this. I’m out of here. Have fun with your job as a cashier in the food court.” I continued mumbling obscenities under my breath as I walked out of the mall. The girls followed me, Leana and Lacey asking questions, those of which Michelle, Val and Gena answered. “Let’s just go,” I said.

The five asked no questions, but we made it back to the car and back to Brian’s with our things.

Quickly, I stepped out of the car without a word from the other girls. They clearly knew my mood was not stabilized. I walked in the front door to see the guys just finishing up their game.

“What’s wrong?” Matt asked me. I shook my head and sat down roughly on the couch. “Michelle, what’s wrong?”

Michelle sighed. “Eli.”

“What about Eli?” Brian asked. Matt’s hand flexed and I pulled him down from his standing position to sit next to me. I held on to his arm and made him stay put by cuddling into his side.

“He was at the food court,” Gena said.

“What’s the story behind this guy?” Leana asked.

“He’s an asshole. He was using Lynn and I beat his ass into a bloody pulp,” Matt explained.

“With our help,” Zacky replied.

“Let’s go. I wanna get home anyway,” I said, looking up at Matt.

He nodded. “Okay.” We stood up and said our good byes.

“We put your presents in the car,” Jimmy told me.

I shook my head and chuckled lightly. “I told you guys… not to.”

“Oh well,” he replied while shrugging.

“Okay, let’s go.” I took Matt’s hand and we went out the front door.

“What’s in the bag?” he asked.

I looked up to him, a sly smile playing on his lips and I shrugged. “Oh, you know… stuff. I’m sure you’ll find out later.”

“I’m sure I –“ Matt stopped in the middle of his sentence. I looked up to him, wondering why and followed his gaze. “Lynn, get in the car.” My jaw dropped, seeing Eli standing outside of his shitty, old as fuck car.”

“Fuck no!” I screamed. I dropped my bag of goodies and ran after him. Eli’s eyes widened as he was screaming,

“Please! No!” I jumped on him, sending him to the ground. Now let me tell you right now that I’m not a fighter. But in this case, I’m willing to change that. I slapped his face, because I can’t punch, and beat on his chest the hardest I could.

“Lynn, stop, I got this!” Matt yelled, picking me off the prick. “What the fuck, dude? Didn’t I tell you to stay away from us? Why the hell have you followed her to California, much less here?!” Matt screamed, not touching Eli – yet.

“I just wanted to fucking apologize, man!” Eli spat back as he tried mercilessly to stand up.

“Get the fuck out of here,” Matt growled.

“Lynn, I—“

“Get out!” Matt now screamed. Eli scrambled for his car door and started the engine, flouring it like a bat out of hell.

“Let’s just get home,” I said.

Three months later

“Babe…” Matt started outside the door, knocking on it lightly.

“Get away,” I whimpered. I didn’t want him to see me like this. This was not at all… attractive. I heard him say something outside the door, a conversation, lightly. Another knock.

“Lynnie?” Michelle cooed.

“No…” I whined, putting my head on the toilet. “I’ve got the fucking flu! Get away!”

“Let me in,” she said.

“No.”

“Please?”

“I’m content with locking myself in the bathroom, ‘Chell. No.”

“Will you do it for Matt?”

I thought for a moment. “No. I look like shit.”

“I don’t care,” Matt said next. “Just let me in.”

“I’m afraid to move,” I said.

“Why?”

“Cause I’m gonna barf,” I replied, lurching forward and emptying bile.

“Oh, that’s attractive,” Michelle joked.

“See!” I said, turning on the faucet while I rinsed my mouth out. “Sarcasm!”

“I just want to make sure you’re okay. Don’t make me get Brian,” Matt said.

“Which one?” I asked.

“Senior.”

“I don’t fucking care!” I said. “Let Daddy come in.”

“Okay, I’ll go get him.” Moments passed and Dad spoke.

“Lynn, let me in,” he said.

I reached forward and unlocked the door. Matt… Matt! Matt pushed himself in.

“Haha. Got you.”

I groaned and took my stance at the toilet. Matt rubbed my back as he sat on the tub’s edge.

“I told you,” I said.

“What?”

“That I look like shit.”

“I don’t care,” he cooed, kissing my forehead.

“You’re going to get sick now! Don’t!”

“Are you sure you’re sick?”

“Matt,” I sighed. “I’m not pregnant. I’m giving up hope.”

“Have you taken a test?”

“No, but—“

“Take one.”

“Matt…”

“Please?” I shook my head. “For me?”

“Fine. But I told you so.”

“Use Val’s present!” Michelle said from the other side of the door. I groaned a laugh. “Unless you already have!”

“I haven’t,” I mumbled, crawling over to the cabinet under the sink. “Now get out so I can piss.”

Matt chuckled, walking out of the door. I followed the directions and waited for the results the allotted amount of time.

I gave up on waiting – it was taking too damn long. So instead, I walked out of the bathroom and went to Matt and I’s room to lie down.

“Negative?” Matt asked quietly as he sat down next to me.

“It needs to ferment,” I replied. Matt laughed lightly and kicked off his shoes and shirt before getting in bed beside me. All that barfing really had taken a toll on me. Matt curved his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him.

“I love you,” he said.

“Love you to,” I said as I closed my eyes. “Do I have a fever,” I asked, feeling my forehead. Matt placed his hand where mine was.

“I don’t feel one,” he said.

“I’m still sick,” I said.

“Lynn!” Michelle called, walking in.

“Get out!” I whined. “ I’m trying to cuddle with my husband!”

“Go check your pee stick,” she said. Matt laughed and pushed his face into my hair.

“But I don’t want to get up. You go check it.”

“Okay,” she sighed. She went into the bathroom and came out with the test stick, reading it. “Yup,” she said and threw it on the table next to me. “You’re pregnant.” With that, she walked out of the room. My eyes widened and I shot up grabbing the test. I stared at it, the plus sign staring back at me. I looked at Matt, eyes wide, and back to the test. I couldn’t believe it.

“Finally,” I whispered. Matt grabbed my face, kissing me fully on the lips. I put the test back onto the end table and kissed him back.

“We’re going to have a baby,” he said, almost not believing it. I smiled, and laughed.

“I know!” I told him.

We were ready for this…

I stared at my computer screen, and moved the mouse toward the save button. Hitting it and closing out of the word document, I exited out if the computer room.

“Done yet?” Matt asked me when I reached the living room.

“Yup,” I said happily. “The book is written and I am done!” I jumped on his lap.

“So are you gonna tell me what it’s about yet?” he asked.

I laughed. “It’s about us,” I replied. “And all the shit we went through, but somehow ended up together.”

“Sounds like a good story,” he said.

“Good, but sad.”

Matt nodded.

“Mom, Dad, I’m going out,” our daughter of 16 said. I looked up to her, the long dark brown hair given to her by me and the hazel eyes and dimples given to her by her father grinning back at me.

“Who’s all going?” Matt asked.

“Just Emma and me, before she goes back to Ohio,” she replied.

“Oh, by the way, guess what, Sierra,” I said.

“Yeah, Ma?”

I grinned. “I finished my book.”

Sierra Lynn Sanders grinned. “That’s awesome! I’ll read it when I get back, kay?”

I nodded. “Kay.”

Sierra hugged both Matt and I. “Have fun,” Matt said.

“Be careful!” I told her before she went out.

“I will!” she responded. The door closed and I looked back to Matt.

“I love you,” I said.

“I love you too,” he replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was nine pages on Word... I hope you liked it! ; ]

Anyway, yes, this story is finished. Done. Fin. I am so appreciative of all the comments, support and feedback I got from everyone. I want to send a huge THANK YOU to everyone who commented, read and loved this story just as much as I did. THANK YOU!!!