Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

The Pleasure's Entirely Mine

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I woke up at a reasonable hour the next morning, and got dressed to a half-hummed, half sung out-of-tune melody I’d woken up with, but couldn’t remember. Halfway down to breakfast I realised that the royal family of Lorainya were arriving later that morning, so I went back up to change my clothes. I ummed and arred for far too long, then settled on a light green dress. It was a favourite left over from last year, sleeveless with a slight frill over one shoulder. I slipped on a pair of kitten heels, not to make myself too tall, but still look smart.

I sighed as I ate breakfast alone, watching the trees sway outside in the garden. Wishing that I could be elsewhere, without duties or obligation, I walked to the main foyer. Grandma was there, organising a last minute replacement of some flowers.

“Ah, M-Phil, I’m glad you’re here,” she said as I arrived, “No, not tulips!”

“Hi,” I sighed, feeling suddenly depressed.

“Are you ok? You look rather drawn-out,” Grandma worried.

“I’m fine. Just a little tired,” I said.

“Well, liven up then. King Sebastian won’t thank you for yawning all over him.”

“Yes Grandma,” I smiled.

“Roses, simple red roses,” Grandma repeated to a distraught young woman next to her who rushed away, “Phil I need to introduce you to…”

A woman in a loose black dress popped up out of nowhere.

“…Jade,” Grandma finished, “Meredith, Jade, Jade, Meredith.”

I shook hands politely. Her face had an interesting open quality, her skin a light honey colour, with smooth Chinese features; the almond shaped eyes and sheet-like black hair. Her hair was done up in an elegant twist, except for a single braid which fell behind her ear onto her sloping shoulder. She had an ageless quality that made it hard to guess her years.

“Pleasure to meet you,” I said sincerely.

Jade nodded slowly, studying my face.

“Jade is your new bodyguard,” Grandma explained.

“Really?” I asked, taken aback.

“Really,” Grandma repeated, “I said I was looking into extra security, and you’ve been getting a lot of press recently. I thought it would be a good idea.”

I didn’t have time to comment before the rest of the family arrived, along with James and the Ambassador of Lorainya. Jade stepped aside as Felix hugged me good morning. I smiled, my earlier mood vanishing in happy familiarity.

“Princess Maria is my age right?” he asked.

“A little bit younger I think,” I replied.

“She won’t be prissy, will she?”

“I can’t really say, Fee.”

Yes, I call my brother Fee sometimes. Don’t diss the nickname.

Yes sir!

“Aw,” Felix moaned, “Why do we have to act all nice to strangers anyway?”

“Because you’re a prince,” said Mum, straightening Felix’s shirt.

“I don’t want to be a prince,” he grumbled.

Right on, brother!

“Tough, you’ve just got to bear it, soldier,” Dad said.

“Here they come!” cried Erica, mum’s PA.

“Straighten up, Meredith,” Grandma said, slipping back into M-mode due to stress.

I duly straightened my back, smoothing my hair down with one hand. James smiled as he came to stand next to me. He nudged me in the back, leaning forward to say something, his breath sending shivers from where it landed on my neck.

“How come you got all dressed up?” he asked, “I don’t see any big occasion.”

“It’s the royal family of Lorainya,” I whispered back, “They’re the big neighbour who could crush our kingdom at any second if we happened to not do as they wished.”

“Ah,” he answered, “And do their wishes extend to yourself marrying one of the sons?”

“What?” I cried, “No!”

“Just asking,” James said, laughing.

“Well, don’t,” I muttered.

The doors were already standing open, ready for the entrance of the five people we so eagerly awaited.

I think the only one of us who is eager is Mother.

I’d quite like to meet Princess Maria.

She’s probably a stuck-up brat.

Hey! You hate it when people say that about you.

Well then it’s not true.

I sighed, only to be snapped out of my yawn at the sound of a car on the gravel. Then in swept Queen Katharine, radiant in a matching dark blue, followed by King Sebastian, who looked uncomfortably formal, and their three children (well, one child and two grown sons); Nicholai, Philippe and Maria. Mum glided forward to welcome them, and began introductions.

“Katharine, Sebastian, you know our daughter Meredith, and this is our youngest Felix.”

Yes, we’re on first name terms with other royals.

“Pleasure to meet you, young man,” said King Sebastian gruffly, “Maria! Come and meet Felix.”

Maria came forward shyly, shaking Felix’s hand as if it were punishment. Fee’s face dropped as he saw that Maria was wearing a dress- not great for climbing trees. He smiled politely though, and began to talk like a good little prince.

“Why, Meredith, you’re quite the young lady,” Queen Katharine smiled at me.

“It’s been quite a while,” I said, dipping a curtsy.

“It has indeed,” she replied, “Allow me to introduce my sons, I don’t think you’ve met.”

Philippe stepped forward, bowing his head towards me. Nicholai just stayed where he was, giving me a slight nod.

“Meredith, Nicholai and Philippe, Nicholai and Philippe, Meredith,” Katharine continued.

“Pleasure to meet you,” I said, shaking Philippe’s hand.

“The pleasure is entirely mine, believe me,” Philippe replied, gripping my hand a little tighter than was required. I motioned towards James in order to let go.

“May I introduce James Jacinthe, Earl of Aramathia,” I said.

James smiled, not genuinely, but a stretching of the face which seemed most unnatural.

“Sir,” he acknowledged to Philippe.

“Just Philippe,” said Nicholai, “And I'm Nick.”

“James then,” James said, the plastic smile fading into a more real one.

“Nice to meet you,” Nick said, shaking James’s hand.

“Same.”

“Maria?” Nick called, “Come over here a second.”

“Yes?” Maria asked, plucking at the sash of her dress.

“Maria, meet Meredith,” Nick said.

“Nice to meet you,” I said, bobbing down to shake her hand, “And please call me Phil.”

“Phil?” Philippe asked, “That’s a boy’s name.”

“Not on me it’s not,” I replied politely.

“What’s wrong with Meredith?” Maria asked in a shy voice.

“I really don’t know, but it doesn’t fit,” I replied.

“I like Phil,” Maria answered shyly.

“Good,” I smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
You get to meet Jade! Isn't she nice? I've had her in my head for a while...

So... we have 2 new readers; hi to LoveShadows18 and Kiri-kara who both left some lovely comments!

I'm sorry to tell you that we're away in Scotland for the Christmas week, without internet, so updates will be postponed, but I'm sure you'll all be busy with presents and christmas cheer etc!!

Merry Christmas!

Ivy, xXGreyWingsXx (c) 2008