Status: Has been on Hiatus due to the huge rush of uni life, but now first year is over, I'm going to do my best to give you lovelies the ending you deserve! =)

Diary of a Reluctant Ruler

Thoroughfare

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I crashed at about two o’clock in the morning. The dance had officially ended at midnight, but everyone seemed to take forever getting out of the ballroom, and I couldn’t leave until Grandmother would let me. Plus, my dress was like a strait jacket to get out of and my face just would not revert to its usual state. Felix was long gone to bed- lucky him.

I mused briefly about the press; there had been an article in the papers about a possible rivalry between Philippe and James the other day. Iona had bought the tabloid in and we’d laughed at it over dinner. They hadn’t run anything on me for ages; but Philippe and James' terrace-discussion had brought it back to my mind.

I didn’t know whether to feel thankful or suspicious at the lack of press.

A knock came at my door, and Grandmother entered, entourage in tow.

“Could’ve waited ‘til morning…” I mumbled.

“Can’t wait, they have to go back in the safe,” she replied, “Imagine if the paparazzi got in here and got their hands on the crown jewels and a picture of you in that! I wouldn’t know which was worse.”

“There’s nothing wrong with my pyjamas,” I complained.

“Meredith, we need to get you some proper underwear.”

My eyes widened with fright.

“I’m fine,” I squeaked.

“Hmmm…” Grandma didn’t look so sure.

I quickly moved my tired old bra out of sight from the back of my chair.

The entourage exited, boxes piled up, my beautiful crown disappearing with them. Grandma gave a brief sigh, wished me goodnight, and exited. I turned off my light and lay back, drifting into perfect, weightless sleep. Perfectly happy.

Until another someone knocked on my door.

I groaned and turned my bedside light on.

“Who is it?” I called, going over to the door.

“Jade.”

Oh, I thought, and opened the door for her. She smiled at my sleepy face.

“Hey,” she said softly, “I’m sorry to butt into your sleep, but… well, I thought we’d become good friends over the past couple of weeks, and I really need to tell someone this.”

“That’s cool,” I said, sitting back down on my bed, “What’s up?”

“Um, Nick asked me to keep in contact,” she whispered.

“Ok…” I said, wondering if there was more.

“That’s it,” she said.

“Oh,” I tried not to look disappointed.

She sighed.

“It’s just that… well, in my line of work, I hardly ever get to see anybody, let alone actually start a friendship and well…” she rambled a little.

“I get it,” I smiled, “It’s a big deal for you.”

“Very,” she replied.

“Good for you. Nick seems to like you quite a lot.”

Jade laughed a little, playing with the edge of my blanket.

“Anyway, I was going to ask you what you thought.”

“What I think?”

“Is it un-businesslike to cultivate relationships within my job?” she asked.

“No way!” I cried, “You’re already friends with me.”

“I know…” she sighed, “My sensei warned me against that.”

“Oh, is this a mistake?”

“It was just in case- well, in case you got killed- but- that shouldn’t be happening to you anytime soon.”

O.O

I can’t die! I’m too pretty.

“I hope not.”

“But do you think…?”

“Nick isn’t business related from tomorrow is he?” I asked.

“No…”

“So everything’s fine,” I said, “Keep in contact.”

“I guess…”

“Jade, you said so yourself, this is a big thing.”

“Yeah, you’re right.”

“I don’t know why you came to me though; I’m hardly the dating expert.”

“No, you’re a friend,” Jade smiled.

“Good,” I smiled back, “Now if you don’t mind, I think I need to sleep…”

“Course,” Jade replied.

She left, closing the door quietly behind her. I turned my light off and settled back in bed, closing my eyes and welcoming sleep. Then the door was knocked on again.

This isn’t a thoroughfare people!!

“Who is it?!” I called groggily.

“Philippe.”

NO! DON’T COME IN!

Thinking of my present attire, I ran to the door, opened it a crack and peered round.

“I’m sorry it’s so late,” Philippe apologised, “But I wanted to see you before tomorrow, whilst I’m thinking straight.”

“Oh, ok,” I mumbled.

I do need some new pyjamas…

“I um, I just wanted to say…” he pondered for a moment.

“Yes?”

“I really like you.”

“Um, I like you too,” I frowned, confused.

“No, I mean, I really like you.”

My eyes went really wide.

Oh dear…

Oh dear oh dear.

I gulped.

“You mean-”

“I just wanted you to know, in case…”

“I- I- I-, I’m really sorry but, I don’t feel the same way.”

Philippe smiled a little sadly.

“No, I didn’t think you did,” he sighed, “James said you’d want to know anyway.”

“James…” I trailed off.

“We had a man-to-man chat,” Philippe muttered.

*envisioning epic sword fights*

I remembered the terrace, and their hurried discussion earlier that evening.

Or yesterday, as it was now…

“Ok… Well, I’m flattered, I just wish…”

“Thanks Phil,” he smiled, “But you don’t have to play the sympathy game. I’m old enough to be mature about it.”

“Oh,” I breathed, “Right.”

I didn’t know I was playing the sympathy game... what are the rules?

“Thanks though, it’s been really nice staying here,” he continued, “You didn’t have to be so welcoming; I normally hate long stays.”

“Well, it’s been nice to have you,” I said, really meaning it.

“Thanks… See you tomorrow?”

“Ok, goodnight.”

I blinked as I closed the door, waiting for a moment, fearing settling back into bed for fear someone would wake me up just as I was falling asleep again. But after a few minutes the gesture seemed futile, and I retired. The one person I really wanted to come and knock at my door that night, happened to be the one who didn’t.

Well, there’s a first for everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my goldfish!!! Thirteen pages of comments.
It's my lucky number.
Well, one of.

Awesome is chicagochi! Welcome to thee!

And don't worry, queenofswords24 Princesses have magic heads, which can hold onto crowns through telekinetic means.

I love the fact that I'm an excuse not to do homework.

Ivy, xXGreyWingsXx (c) 2008