Sweet Children Come Out And Play

In The End

For fuck’s sake, there were about five people in that group and you would think that one of them could handle something simple like telling the nurse at the front desk to get somebody. But no, it was going to take all of there brains together. Delphine sighed. She swore she was calmer than anyone else here, and she was the one having the baby.

Tre looked at her again, “It’ll be ok. I think one of them can figure it out.”

Delphine gave him a short smile, “Thank you.”

“Can I get you anything?”

“No, just stay. Really, it means a lot.”

“Ok,” he touched her shoulder. She looked so tired and hurt. It was hard to not be able to do anything for her. But there was nothing to be done but wait. She rested her eyes.

Then Billie ran back into room. “Delphine!”

Slowly she looked up again. “Billie,” she mouthed as he ran to her said again and clasped her hand as anther wave hit, “Ohgod-”

“It’s ok, that’s it. They’re coming now…” After another minute, the doctor finally walked in calmly as hell.

As they transferred Delphine down the hall to deliver the baby, Tre walked back into the waiting room. Richelle stopped pacing back and forth as her entered through the door. She walked over without a word and wrapped her arms around him. But she couldn’t hold back and, “How is she? What’s happening?” came tumbling out.

“They’re taking her to the delivery room.”

“Billie’s with her?”

“Yeah.”

“Good, good…”

Mike sat with Brites and a cup of coffee in his hands. “This happened so fast.”
“We knew it would happen eventually. Any longer and we would be worried.”
“Then why am I so nervous?”

Brites smiled. He could be so cute. She reached over and lightly kissed his neck. Another moment there. She almost immediately felt him relax and gave a silent laugh before curling against his side.
~
When Delphine was lying down, Billie at her side, the doctor stepped out for just a second. Billie looked to Delphine. He squeezed her hand in his. “So, how are you feeling?” he asked for the tenth time.

“A little better now. I’m nervous. Wait, let me rephrase that, scared shitless,” she managed a little laugh. “But a little better. It just hurts.”

“Is there anything else I can do?” He kissed her.

“No, not really. Just don’t leave.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I promise I’m not going anywhere til it’s all over.” Billie also looked a little calmed now. He touched her belly. “Was there anything left we wanted to do before we became parents?” he smiled.

“Well, I don’t know. Go to Paris, London, Amsterdam…”

“Yeah, me too. I guess it’s a little late for that.”

“One day maybe.”

“Yep. One day I promise.”

“Til then I’ll just settle for strawberry waffles at IHOP.”

Billie kissed her lips, “Now that we can do.” Just then anther contraction hit her. He cringed at how tight she squeezed his hand. When it was over, he again asked, “You ok sweetie?” He just had to reassure himself again.

“Yeah. Oh man. They’re getting stronger.”

“This is defiantly?”

“Yep. Oh damn, I told mom I might call her when this happened. I should do that now while I can.” She clumsily picked up phone beside her. “Shit, what’s my number?’

“395…”

“Oh yeah, 395…” and he finished punching in numbers.

Billie could hear the phone ringing over the line. Someone picked up. “Hey Mum.” She suddenly became even more nervous. Billie could make out just buzzed mumbling on the side.

“Yeah, Cady won her game? That’s great. Cool. No I don’t have any…”

Billie sighed annoyed. She could not get a word in edgewise even as she’s about to have a baby! “Wait, Mom, hold a sec.” Another wave. “Ahh, Billie,” she handed over the phone and closed her eyes again. Billie grabbed the phone and heard Mary on the other line still.

“Hello, Delphine, are you all right?”

“Mary, it’s Billie.”

“Billie, how are you?!” she said happily.

“Um, um, good but-a see Delphine is…” he mumbled.

“What was that?”

“She’s in labor.”

“WHAT! Oh my god, let me talk to her!”

Billie looked back to his wife, “Is it over?” She shook her head and Billie put the phone to her ear.

“Hey Mum,” she said more weakly than the first time. Billie could hear from a foot away her mom yelling about how she was sorry for blabbing, to breathe and other things. Actually, hearing her mom so frantic over the phone made Delphine laugh more than anything. “No Mom, you don’t need to come yet. Yes, we’ll – yes, I promise we’ll call you as soon as it’s over. I have to go now. I love you too-” she chocked out the last few words.

Billie quickly took the phone back. “You don’t fucking leave her side for anything right now!” Mary yelled at him on the other line.

“Oh no, I promise I won’t.” Suddenly he looked scared as hell. Delphine laughed out loud again. “Yeah, bye!” he hung up the receiver as his wife’s grip relaxed on his arm. “You all right?” he stroked her hair back again. Delphine managed to shake her head.

After what seemed like another hour, a doctor walked in. Dr. Whright, their doctor was not available, so Dr. Pritch would deliver the baby. “Hi Delphine,” he said cheerfully walking over to her bedside. Delphine on the other hand was not in the best of moods – which was understandable.

Billie shook hands with the man anyway, “Hey, look, she’s supposed to get an epidural. When exactly is that going to happen?”
~
When Billie Joe awoke the next he heard tiny whimpers. It took a second before he realized it was the baby. Delphine was still asleep beside him so he jumped to his feet to quiet the baby before the crying woke her. He scooped up his little daughter in his arms, grabbed a tiny pre-made bottle of formula in the mini-fridge, shook it and carefully gave it to Adrienne. As soon as her mouth found the bottle, she grabbed on and started sucking away.

Then Billie calmed down enough to look at her closely. Adrienne’s eyes were still closed but after another moment, she opened them up and winced at the bright light. “Don’t cry again,” he whispered, “We shouldn’t wake up Mommy yet.” As if she knew what Billie said, Adrienne just blinked, squinted and looked up at him while still drinking contently. “Hey Adie,” he smiled, “Don’t look at me now. I look like shit, I just got up. That’s your fault you know. I don’t mind now, but beware, I will later. But that’s ok. I’ll get over it,” he talked softly to her. Billie glanced out the window. The sun was still coming up. He usually liked it better when the sun was going down, but now, well, he was too fucking tired to really care. Any change was nice.

Then he looked back to this daughter again. He could not get it through his head that his was his child. It didn’t seem possible. But there she was. And now, it also seemed like she had always been there. Or that he knew her already.
~
Cody stared at the ceiling of her new home. Yes, maybe this time she could call a place her home.

“Why are you moving in with her, huh?” Tre poked.

“Because, She’s a Rebel,” Billie answered from the doorway.

Cody had decided to start rooming with Sicily. She would be better off here. Here at least she would not be alone. And though she liked having her own place, from what had happened in the past living here, she needed another person around. Plus, you never know what could happen. Delphine never really knew anything. Nothing that Cody herself had told her anyway. Delphine had just guessed. Perhaps it was better that way. She was happy with Billie. That’s all that mattered.
~
Billie slammed the front door and ran down to his car. Delphine heard the sound of the car engine starting up and the fading sound of him driving away. She burst into tears. She didn’t even remember what they had fought about, but this was the first time she could remember where it was a real fight. And he left. He left without it being resolved like they usually could. But she was so mad at him. It started with something little. Some comment he’d said she didn’t like, he ended up mentioning her mood swings of the late and she really blew up a bit more and the words fell out more harshly than she had predicted they would.

Delphine sat alone on the couch.

She hated sitting alone.

But there was no one here now. This was their house. Little one and a half year old Adie slept in the room next door. At least the slam had not woken her up. At least.

Then something occurred to Delphine Elizabeth Armstrong that had not before. She was pregnant. That was it. It had to be. The past few weeks made so much more sense if that was the case. And all at once, she felt horribly sorry for yelling at Billie Joe for no reason at all really, once she’d thought about it. It was just his short temper combined with her own stubbornness. Well, best not run after him now. Billie would be back. But when?

She jumped suddenly as the sound of the door opening hit her ears.

“Delphine, I’m sorry,” Billie said quickly and walked in. “I didn’t mean to yell.”

“Baby, I’m sorry too. I didn’t mean it…”

He could see she had already been thinking the same but the rings of pink inside her eyes. Billie walked forward and held out his arms. She took them and pressed herself close to him, tummies touching. He kissed her neck and pushed her back into the couch. He took her lips in his mouth, stifling a moan as he slid his tongue in-between. She let in. Suddenly, hands were flying in the air, curtailing down sides. Billie made a yank at her shirt. She grabbed at his belt buckle.

What they say about make-up sex is true.
~
Delphine walked along the edge of the water, kicking up sand as she went. The ocean breeze played with her long red streaked hair and made it dance across her back. The sand was cool under her feet and each time the water rolled up and poured over her toes, she splashed it away with anther step. For the first time she could remember, the water was warm.

Delphine ran straight out into the watery abyss of waves. Billie followed to about a foot high and water. Then he stopped and just stared; she was so beautiful. Delphine called to him, “Come on,” she waved. As a wave of ocean raced back toward the ocean, Billie felt himself being pulled forward and he slowly walked toward her. The wave came back in and pushed them back towards the beach but Billie kept moving until Delphine ran to him and jumped into his arms. He held her for a second and kissed her lips before smiling and letting himself fall into the water. Delphine shrieked, “Billie!” as he laughed and a wave washed over their heads. “Billie, now I am soaked!”

“You got in first!”

Delphine could not help laughing too and she splashed him in the face, stood up and ran out of the water. “Hey!” he called, “That wasn’t fair and I got water in my mouth!”

“Serves you right!”
~
Billie stood beside her, her hand in his, and as she looked out at the sea, he watched her. She looked just as beautiful as she had on their honeymoon on this beach seven years before. Perhaps, she was more beautiful.

“Remember last time we were here?”

“I remember,” she turned and smiled at him. He was smiling too. “You had that same look on your face in fact,” she tilted her head.

“Remember the first thing we did too?”

“Billie-"

“Right over there in that cave,” he pointed maniacally.

“We are not doing that again…though it was just about one of the most romantic things I have ever heard of now that you mention it… oh my god you look so hot right now-“

“You busy Mrs. Armstrong?”

“Well, I suppose I might be able to spare a moment. Do you have an appointment?”

“I do now,” he said as they sped up toward the little cave just a hundred yards down the beach. A second later they were running as fast as they could. It was now seven years to the day they where first married and this was the first place they had “done it” as Billie said, since they where married at least. It was as good as had it been the first time, except, they did have a little more practice…and then some, since then.

Delphine raced ahead, through the shallow tide and ran around the corner of the cave. ‘Yes! No one here!’ Billie jumped out in front of her a second later calling, “So this is your office!”

“Maybe,” she smirked and fell backwards into the sand and let her arms fall out like a sand angel. This was like their little secret spot; a hidden cove just at the water’s edge with just a few random shrubs decorating it. Billie stopped in front of her, with the ocean behind him and his black mop of hair blowing and curling around his face, lips slightly parted. The kidding drained from his eyes and he just stared at her, lying perfectly in the sand. He did not even notice he was staring, but then neither did Delphine. Billie looked like some incredibly gorgeous punk version of a Playgirl. One with a guy that was actually hot. Then she came to.

“You have an appointment?” she smiled.

“Sure do,” he perked up.

“So why is your shirt on?” He kept smiling and gave her a look saying, ‘and why is your shirt still on?’ as he pulled his own off over his head. “I think I might need some help with mine.”

“Why?”

Delphine turned on her girly slut act while curling her hair on her finger, “Well, my daddy told me he was like going to get like a big band for my birthday and my favorite would be Green Day but we could also get like that other band or like Hilary Duff like and I was like ohmygod and he didn’t get me a band and now everything is ruined and this is the worst birthday ever cuz I’m like a bitch and I have way too much money and I want a Ferrari.”

“Well, you would like that wouldn’t you bitch.”

“Like yeah!”

“Well, I murdered Hilary last night so…she’ll be late, but I got this crummy little band called Green Day.” Billie kneeled down in the sand by Delphine.

Delphine flipped her hair back and rolled her eyes, “I guess it will like have to do.”

Billie inched closer until he was right in front of her. Delphine’s act dropped as she was overwhelmed with the moment. He hovered in front of her, looking sweetly into her eyes. Delphine reached a hand up around his neck as he bent forward to kiss her and reached an arm around her back. He pulled her closer and she wrapped both arms around his as she felt herself being lifted off the ground. He kissed her with more passion than she could ever remember, as clichéd as it sounded in her head, but she didn’t care. He was so gorgeous.

‘Oh wow, Billie Joe, she is sucking your tongue, she’s sucking your – Ohgod, even her spit is like candy.’

“You’re so perfect.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”
~
Some things are too beautiful to describe.

The End

It would be easy to tell you what the rest of life was like for them, for everyone, but there’s no need to get into that. You already know. Plus, there is no end yet. I don’t know what happens. So we’ll go on with this another day.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, and good night.