The Difference

A Baby?

5 years later
“Please, please don’t leave me. Don’t leave us!” The young woman begged.
“What do you mean us?” The man opposite replied sharply.
There was silence for a few seconds.
“I’m…..pregnant, Gee. I’m so sorry I didn’t tell you before. I was just so scared.”
Gerard thought for a moment. He thought of the fun they had had, going to the movies with his friends, days out with his niece, going to zoos and swimming pools and just mucking around. Maybe, if he stayed, they could have fun in the same way, but with his own family, his own child and soon, his wife.
“Of course I’ll stay. Do you know whether it’s a girl or a boy yet?”
“Not yet. It’s too early.”
Gerard couldn’t believe that he was going to be a father. It was just so…..Different. Special. It gave you that nice feeling, like you were actually part of something bigger, that you made sense.
But it wasn’t going to be for long.
Crash!
A brick flew through the window; cries of “Witch!” filled the air. They had found her, the only child of Karen and John Cilia, Cathi. Her grandmother, Lauren, had died, murdered, seven years ago, exactly on that day, that month, that time, that room. The two were so close to where the cold body had lain it was scary, for the day she was killed, all of the townspeople had thought that Cathi had killed her, and although it was the 21st century, they still thought she was a witch. However true this may be, it was defiantly strange to have witch-hunts in such an age filled with so much technology.
“Run, I’ll hold them off!” Gerard yelled.
“No, I’m not leaving you behind!” Cathi yelled back. “Get in the car, its round the back, where I parked it. I can hold them off!” She whispered strange words and the hunters froze, in midair, running, even the trees and the torches stopped moving. They both ran down the stairs, with the young witch still muttering foreign words.
“Faster!” Gerard said
“I can’t go any faster, if you’d remember I’m pregnant!” Cathi replied, breaking the spell. “Oh no!”
The hordes of men were suddenly moving again, shouting.
“Come on! Don’t you have a spell to zap you there or something?” The young man enquired
“Hold on tight! Haroneld’s! She called out, and in a sudden burst of colour they were in the car.
“Why didn’t you do that before?” The driver asked
“I… um…… forgot I could do it……..” The passenger replied
****************
The Evil spoke, and he spoke in such a way as the ground shook.
“SHE IS NEAR. FIND HER AND KILL HER, FOR HER CHILD SHALL BE OUR DOWNFALL. THAT WAS PROPHISISED- THE CHILD OF THE STRONG ONE SHALL DESTROY ALL EVIL, HE WILL DESTROY ME AS HIS MOTHER DESTROYED MY FIRST LOYAL SERVANTS ALL THOSE YEARS AGO!”
“Yes master, I shall kill her. But how? I cannot unless she loses her power. And that is impossible. We thought it would happen when we killed her grandmother, as we did all of her ancestors. But it had no effect, and my Brothers died for nothing.” A hooded man said.
“TAKE THE MAN. SHE WOULD GLADLY DIE FOR HIM. I HAVE SEEN THEM TOGETHER. THEY ARE GETTING CLOSER, AND THE MAN DOES NOT KNOW ABOUT US. I WISH TO KEEP IT THAT WAY, AT LEAST UNTIL WE ARE IN POSTION. GO, QUICKLY!”
******************
“Put your foot down Gerard, they’re still after us!” Cathi said.
“I’m not very good at high-speed-chases!”
“Well, let ME drive then!”
“No way! “
*****************