As You're Falling Down

Four

I sat in my bed with my phone in my hands staring at it like it had the answer to weather I should call Ronnie back about lunch or coffee or not. So when my phone started ringing it startled me and I answered it without looking at the caller ID.
“Hello Yellow Jello” I said.
All I herd was hysterical laughter on the other end of the line. They must not call a lot because this is the way I always answer.
“Hello” I said again to regain whoever’s attention back to the phone.
“Um… erm… Hi Jordan” well they sound nervous.
“Who is this?”
“It’s… erm… Ronnie” he said.
“Oh” I whispered.
“Yea… so… did you get my message”
“Yea I did… I was just… well…” I drifted
“You were what?” he asked puzzled.
“Um… well… kind of scared… Please don’t get mad” I rushed out the last part hoping it wasn’t to late.
“No, no I get it though I wish I could change that. You have a reason to be scared baby girl. I just wish I didn’t give you that reason.” I was less nervous at the sound of my old nick name from him.
“I’m happy rehab went so well for you” I said changing the subject from one I didn’t like to one he didn’t like.
“Yea it did” he said softly.
The subject drifted from place to place only staying where we felt comfortable. Every time he brought up meeting I changed the subject I wasn’t ready for that not yet.
“So how’s old maxi doing” that struck a note I wasn’t comfortable talking about that for sure.
“He’s max,” I answered flat.
“Ok I take it you two aren’t on good terms now because that’s not how a girl should act about her best friend”
“You could say that” I said with no emotion
“I got to go ok… call me later” and I hung up.