The Face of Beauty to Fall For

Wasted All Your Time

As soon as I got home, I let Doc into the house and went straight out to the garage. It had been a whole twenty-four hours since I’d been able to work on my car and I was starting to be antsy.

I turned on the stereo and grabbed my tools, laying on the creeper before sliding underneath the front of the car.

“Nice car.” An amused voice said above my head.

“Jesus!” I yelled, lifting my head and slamming my forehead against the front differential. “Fuck!” I screamed, letting my head fall back against the head rest as my hand went up to rub my sore forehead.

Something caught me behind my ankle and pulled me from under the car. “Ember?” The same voice asked, kneeling next to me.

I looked up through my blurred vision to see the face of Edward Cullen.

I jumped up, forgetting the pain in my head. “What the hell are you doing in my house?” I asked, feeling something wet slide down my forehead. I reached up to wipe it and looked at my fingers. “Great… I’m--”

“Liz!” A second male voice called and I saw Zachary pulling Elizabeth from the room in almost a blur.

I looked at the last two remaining Cullens in the room with me. The looks on their faces made me afraid for reasons I didn’t understand.

“Come on, Ember… Let’s get that cleaned and patched up.” Edward said in an extremely strained voice.

“What’s going on? It’s just a cut. I can handle it.” I said, glaring at him and storming into my house.

I walked to the bathroom and pulled out the first aid kit. I hissed as the peroxide hit the cut.

“You can’t possibly see the wound well enough to clean it.” He said, sitting me on the toilet and cleaning my wound.

“Why do you even care, Cullen? You did it.” I said bitterly, wincing when he touched the gauze to my cut.

“I feel guilty.” He said, cleaning it as quickly as he could and covering it.

“Yeah, well you should.” I said harshly, standing and putting everything away. “You’re a total asshole, by the way.” I said, walking out of the room and back into the garage.

“I know.” He replied, following after me.

I sighed heavily. “Hello, Alice.” I said, seeing her dancing to the music coming from the stereo.

“Hello, Ember.” She told me with a smile. “I like this song. Who is it?”

“The Matches.” I told her. “It’s a song called Chain Me Free.”

She looked at Edward, “I want this CD.”

He nodded, “We’ll get it when we leave.” He told her.

She smiled at him and kept dancing.

I watched in awe, she was unnaturally graceful as she moved around the garage. “You’re good.” I said, breaking out of the trance I had been in.

She just smiled. “Thank you.” She told me politely, as Zachary and Elizabeth walked into the garage.

“My apologies.” Zachary said.

“Yeah… Sorry about that, Ember.. I get sick when I’m around blood. Zachary pulled me out before I threw up all on the floor and everywhere.” She said, looking worried.

I nodded, “It’s okay. No worries.” I said, looking at Edward. “What are you doing here anyway?”

He gestured to the neat stack of books on the work desk across from us. “Chem project.” He said simply.

Elizabeth smirked, “I think he came because he--”

“Finish that sentence Elizabeth, and you’ll be dead.” He said, glaring at her.

“I was just going to say that you came along because you wanted an A in Chem.” She said, grinning at him.

Zachary coughed and the fight stopped before it started.

“That’s just stupid.” I said to him. “You could’ve at least asked first before you showed up.” I said, scowling.

His eyes narrowed at me and he strode over, grabbing his books. “Fine. Sorry to have bothered you.” He said sharply, heading out of the garage.

I silently fumed for a minute. “Zachary’s staying?” I asked, looking at him.

“We both are.” Alice said, hitting the back button until she got to Chain Me Free. “If that’s alright, I mean.” She said, glancing at me.

I nodded, “I’d love that.” I told her, smiling at them.

“So… How about I order us some Thai and then we can figure out what to do.” I suggested.

“Sure.” Elizabeth said, smiling and heading inside.

“How did you guys get in, anyway?” I asked, grabbing the cordless phone off the wall in the kitchen in passing.

“The door was unlocked.” Elizabeth said, looking through my DVD collection.

“Oh… I thought I locked it.” I said, shrugging and dropping a menu on the table. “What do you guys want?”

“Nothing for us. We ate before we came.” Alice said, picking a movie before Elizabeth could.

“Oh… Okay.” I said, ordering for myself and hanging up. “So… What do you guys wanna do tonight?”