The Face of Beauty to Fall For

Forgotten Faces

A few weeks passed since I met the Cullens. I’d sit next to them -- mostly Edward since Elizabeth made him lab partners with me in almost every class -- during classes and at lunch, and only talk to them during Gym. They’d also gotten into the habit of staying over at my house on the weekends that they didn’t go camping.

Well, the day before my birthday they’d gone out for an all-day hike with their mom and dad because the weather was nice, so I was sitting alone in all my classes, doodling on my notes. I heard someone clear their throat from beside me and I looked up to see my best friend, Salym Proctor.

"So, are you going to say hi to me?" She asked, annoyance plain on her face. "And tell me why you’ve totally been ignoring me for the past month and a half?"

"Say, I’m sorry. Hi." I said, smiling weakly.

"Don’t you ‘Say’ me, Ember Marie." She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I’m sorry. You were gone on that retreat thing, and they showed up." I explained.

"Yeah, whatever." She said, taking a deep breath. "I don’t like them."

I scoffed, "You haven’t even met them!" I said, putting my hand over my mouth when Ms. Davies gave us a look. "Sorry." I told her, dropping the pitch of my voice. "You haven’t even met them." I said softer.

"I don’t have to. They seem very dangerous." She told me, pushing her ebony hair behind her shoulder and looking toward the black board.

I scowled and turned back to my doodles.

When class was over, I caught her before she could escape to the other side of the building. "Say, what’s your deal with the Cullens? They haven’t done anything to you."

"They’ve taken my best friend, I think that’s cause enough." She said, pulling her arm from my grasp.

I sighed, "I’m sorry, okay. They’re just… my kind of people. I connect with them better than anybody in this whole school, except for you." I told her, the tone of my voice low like I was about to cry.

She sighed and slapped an envelope on top of the binder I was holding in my arms. "You better like this, bitch. I paid a lot of money for them.." She told me, smiling a little.

I smiled back, her calling me a bitch was usually a sign that I was forgiven. I opened it and dropped my book, screaming like I’d been stabbed violently in the back. "YOU DID NOT GET ME BACKSTAGE PASSES TO THE 69 EYES!" I screamed, hyperventilating.

Ms. Davies ran out of the door we were standing near, "What’s going on?! What’s wrong?!" She asked panicked.

I looked up and blushed. "Sorry. I got my birthday present early." I told her, looking down at my shoes.

She put her hand over her heart and took a deep breath. "Oh my… Ember… You scared me. I thought something was really wrong." She told me, patting my shoulder. "Get to your next class, girls." She told me.

Salym laughed at me. "It’s for Saturday night." She said. "Be ready to go by noon." She told me, walking off in the opposite direction of me.

I grinned and grabbed up my stuff, walking to my next class, smiling excitedly.

Later that night, when the Cullens were hanging at my house, -- still looking like a bunch of movie star Frat and Sorority boys and girls even after hiking -- I flashed my pass to them. "Look!" I gushed.

Elizabeth looked over and smiled, "Sweet. The Eyes are awesome. Jussi’s kinda blah, but the others are sweet."

I gaped at her, "You’ve met them?"

She nodded, "I dated Jussi for a bit--"

"No, she didn’t. She’s only ever dated me." Zachary sniped, giving her a dirty look.

She smiled and kissed his cheek. "I love pissing you off. It’s fun." She told him.

I rolled my eyes and showed Edward, who I’d grown to not loathe over the time.

He looked up and shook his head. "You’re not going." He stated.

I gave him an ‘I know you’re not telling me what to do’ face. "Excuse me?"

"You’re not going. You won’t be going anywhere near them alone." He said simply.

"And who died and made you my boss?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

He smirked softly and looked at the others for help. "It’s not safe for you, is all." He told me.

I glared at him, "Cullen, what the FUCK do you know?" I asked.

"More than you think." He told me seriously.

I balled my fists and took deep breaths to calm myself. "Why can’t I go?" I questioned through gritted teeth.

"It’s dangerous. They’re not nice people." He told me.

I made an angry sound and went out to the garage, blaring the CD that I had in at the time -- which happened to be Vains of Jenna. I almost smiled at the appropriateness of the song blasting from the stereo. "So you’re looking for an enemy? You’ve found an enemy in me." I muttered, laying on my creeper and sliding under the car to do something to calm my frustration.