Carpe Obscurum

Chapter Eight

I watched from the other side of the barrier as the war raged on. The demons, with their paper thin bat-like wings and shining silver eyes, not only killed the angels, they maimed them.

I watched in horror as the angel of my father fell before Lucifer’s hand, an evil laugh escaping his lips, his eyes making contact with mine.

I looked away from him, searching the skies for Gabriel and Michael, catching a glance of them every now and then taking down a demon.

And then it happened… It was like the universe stopped turning. Gabriel and Lucifer met in the middle of the battlefield.

“You would die for her, Gabriel?” Lucifer sneered.

“I would die for her.” Gabriel admitted, their voices thundering through the realm.

“Then who am I to stop you?” Lucifer asked.

I saw them, Vengeance and Christ, as they snuck up behind him and thrusted their swords into his back. “Gabriel, no!” I shrieked, running through the gates before I could stop myself.

“Emily, no!” Michael cried, catching me. “There’s nothing you can do. Just stay out of it.” He said to me.

“No!” I screamed, watching as their swords repetitively made new holes in my love’s back.

“You would have been better off marrying me.” Lucifer said from his spot in front of my bleeding lover. “You should have given me the power my brother took for granted.”

“Shut up!” I cried, struggling against Michael with tears in my eyes. “I would have never given you that power!”

His mirth-filled eyes narrowed in anger, his hand clenching into a fist at his side. “You have given me that power.” He said, laughing.

I watched as he knelt down by Gabriel, his sword sliding across his throat.

“You have given me something more than power, Princess, you have given me the death of my brother by my own hand.” He said, standing straight as Gabriel’s wings fell limp against him. “I will bide my time until another time.” He said, his army and himself disappearing.
I broke free from Michael, rushing over to my love, “Gabriel.” I said, his crimson blood staining the ground and my dress as I knelt down beside him. “My love, forgive me.” I said, crying.

“Come, Emily… There is nothing we can do.” Michael said sadly, reaching for me.

“No! This… It can’t happen! How can an angel die?!” I asked hysterically. “Where do their souls go?”

Michael shook his head, “We just cease to be.”

“No! I don’t accept that!” I said, looking down on the body of my love.

“I would gladly give up my life for yours.” I whispered, tears still streaming from my eyes. “I never wanted this.”

“Come, Emily…” A voice said, a figure walking towards me. “Your place is here now.”

I shook my head, “My place is with Gabriel.”

The figure laughed, “Then come with me.”

I looked at him, “What? He is dead.”

“Angels, when they die, cease to be. An archangel, however…”

I stood, and looked into the face of the figure, confused.

“Are simply reborn.” He finished.

“Gabriel.” I said, reaching out for him.

He smiled, “You think that I would leave you?” He asked.

I looked away, “I could no sooner belong to Lucifer than lose you.”

“Then you will belong to the Earth.” A second voice said, all of the other angels bowing to the figure.

I bowed as well, looking to Gabriel.

“God.” He mouthed.

“Stand, Emily. Gabriel.” She told us.

We stood, reaching for the other’s hand. “My Lord.” I said, curtsying.

She smiled at us, “My children… I have seen your corruption.”

I winced a little, hating that word.

“And I realize that I cannot keep you two apart in any plane of existence. So.. For your duty to me and Heaven, I grant you with eternal life.” She told us.

I looked at Gabriel, who, for once, looked just as confused as I.

“My Lord… We don’t understand.” He spoke up.

She giggled, “You will be the protectors of Earth for eternity. Together.”

We looked at each other again, “As angels?”

She nodded, “You will be able to walk the Earth and Heaven, whenever you wish.”

I smiled and jumped on Gabriel, kissing him. “We can be together.”

He smiled and returned the kiss, “We shall be. For eternity.”