Carpe Obscurum

Chapter Seven

I worked for Shadows obediently, wondering what sort of torture my beloved was being put through all because of me.

The night of my 45th mortal birthday was here before I knew it. I was given a dress and brought into Hell for the “ceremony.”

“Emily.” I heard from the room I was held inside of.

“Gabriel?” I asked, rushing to the door.

He fell inside, burn wounds and lash marks covering his once flawless skin. “I had to see you. I managed to escape the fires.”

I helped him to the bed, laying him down. “Is there anything I can do?” I asked, placing a hand over one of the wounds, having it heal itself.

“You have the power to take pain like I had on Earth.” He said, looking at me. “It uses a piece of your soul for each wound you heal, physically or emotionally.”

I placed my hand over another wound. “I have enough souls to spare.” I told him.

He sat up, grabbing my wrist. “You will burn for helping me.”

“I would burn for you if it would help.” I told him.

He pulled me into a fiery kiss, pulling me onto the bed with him, his hands going to the laces of the corset I wore.

I moaned into the kiss softly, my hands pulling at the tattered remains of his clothes.
He pushed at my dress, sliding it down and off, throwing it onto the floor, pushing me onto my back and laying over me.

I whimpered, looking up at him. “Gabriel--”

“Shh, my love.” He whispered, kissing me deeply. “You are no longer their property.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

“Princess, it is--” Shadows said, walking into the room. “What is this?!”

I smiled, the black dress I had been wearing for my wedding changing to a pure white. Large downy wings sprouting from my back. “Shadows.” I said, curtsying to him.

“You…” His eyes narrowed in rage as he took a step closer to me. “You ruined everything!”

“She ruined nothing.” Gabriel stated, standing beside me, the same transformation occurring to him. “God’s plan was always this.”

“I don’t give a fuck about God! He’s ruined my plans for the last time!” He shouted, his eyes glowing red as mine once did.

“His plans?” I asked, looking over at my love, confused.

“He is the true Satan. He is Lucifer.”

My eyes widened in concern as he neared us.

“He sought you out because he knew of my love for you. He knew what lengths I would go to, to keep you safe.” He explained.

He smirked evilly, “Yes, dear brother. I’ve manipulated you both into my plan, and now you’ve ruined it!” He screamed, jumping at Gabriel.

Gabriel quickly took my hand and we vanished, a white light greeting us.

“Gabriel… Where are we?” I asked softly, looking around and instantly knowing.

He smirked, “We are in Heaven, dearest Emily.”

“And why? We are both damned.”

“Because we have chosen our side.” He stated, gesturing to the angels clamoring around.

I looked around, “But… If you hold the power of the souls I have taken--”

“Then there should be no war?” He laughed and kissed my forehead, “My brother doesn’t believe in quitting while he’s ahead.”

I shook my head, “And the souls?”

“They are taken into Heaven. They are absolved of their sins.”

I shook my head, “And what is to become of us when the War is over?”

His smile faded, “That I do not know, my love.” He said, bowing to another angel that approached us.

“Plague?” I asked, bowing as well, though I didn’t know why.

He smiled, “My true name is Michael… Princess.” He said, bowing to me.

“I am no more a princess than you are.” I said, smiling softly.

He laughed and looked at Gabriel, “Come, brother, we must take our places.” He told him.

I looked to Gabriel, “Brother?”

He nodded to Michael and turned to me. “Yes, Michael is an archangel as am I and as was Lucifer.” He kissed me deeply, “I must go. Get behind the gates.” He said.

“No. Gabriel, no! I’m not leaving you.”

His face filled with sadness, “Emily, please?”

I kissed him again, “Come back to me.” I whispered, walking into the gates as the remaining angels walked out.

“I love you.” He mouthed, heading for the frontline.

“And I you.” I mouthed back, my eyes welling with tears.