Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Happy New Years Baby

(Kayla's POV)

"Kayla, Petey, come down here! Everyone is gonna be here soon!" Mom said in the overhead speaker.

I continued to straighten my hair. I was almost done. I had put on my makeup and everything. I wanted to look perfect. Today was New Year's Eve. We were of course having it here at our house as you can tell. The Wentzes, Hurleys, and surprisingly the Bryars as well.

"Kayla! Mom said to your mutt ass down here!" Petey said in the intercom.

"PETEY! APOLOGIZE!" I heard Mom scream without using the intercom.

"SORRY!" Petey said.

"I'm coming!" I said annoyed.

I hate having brothers sometimes. I checked myself in the mirror again. I smiled. Hopefully, my wish will come true tonight. A kiss at midnight… by a certain brownish-blonde boy with the last name Hurley... with Junior at the end too. That wouldn't be awkward. =/

I ran down the stairs and ran into Mom who was putting out food in our fancy dining room. Mom looked at me and sighed.

"Kayla..."

"What?" I asked nervously.

She walked over to me and looked me up and down. I was wearing a low cut, v-neck sweater along with black pants. My hair straight and long with just eyeliner on my face with a little lip gloss.

"You look so beautiful. You look like me when I was your age. Just lift up your shirt a little before you dad and your brother have a shit fit." She said as she lead me into the kitchen.

I quickly fixed it before we entered it. My mom was awesome sometimes with situations like this. She had been noticing that I've been dressing up a little more and being a little more girly. She knows it's for a boy, but doesn't know who.

"Hey loser." Petey said.

"Shut up fag." I said.

"Hey! There is no calling anyone fag in this house." Dad said.

"Sorry." I said.

Right then, the door bell rang.

"Can..."

"I'LL GET IT!" Petey and I said at the same time as we cut of Mom.

We both raced to the front door to open it. I grabbed the handle as Petey unlocked the door. I opened it to reveal the Hurley's at the door.

"HI!" Petey and I said at the same time.

"You two are so strange. Always doing stuff together." Katie said as they came in.

"Shut up Katie." Petey said as we took their coats and put it in the closet by the front door.

"Where is Erelin and Pete?" Andy asked.

"In the kitchen." I said.

We walked into the family room and sat on the couches.

"When are you guys taking down the decorations?" Drew asked.

He was referring to our Christmas decorations. We still haven't taken them down.

"After New Years. They will probably make me and Kayla do it all." Petey said.

"Yea... I think we have to do it by ourselves too." Katie said.

"I'm gonna get a drink. I'll be back" I said as I got up.

I was a little upset. It's like Drew has totally ignored me. He acknowledged my brother when he came in. He didn't even notice me. I'm probably trying too hard. He will never notice me.

After grabbing a glass of pop, I almost ran into Drew.

"Sorry Kayla." He said as he stopped dead in his tracks.

Luckily, I didn't get any pop on my sweater.

"It's ok." I said as I stared at him.

He looked so good tonight. His hair done with a nice button down red shirt. Black pants to go along with it. When looking up at him, I noticed something on the doorway.

"Aww look who's underneath the mistletoe." I heard Mom say.

She knows just how to embarrass me sometimes.

"Aww." I heard Chrissy say.

Drew's face had turn a shade of pink from the embarrassment as well. He then moved to the side and slid his way towards the food. Right then the doorbell rang. I sighed as I put my cup down and answered it to reveal the Bryar's.

*******
It was 5 minutes to midnight. The whole night has been sort of a disappointment to me. Katie noticed somehow I was upset. She is of course my best friend, but ever since the mistletoe toe incident, she noticed something wrong. She's been acting weird though. Ever since then Drew has been avoiding using that hall way. When he would use it, and I was there, he would turn around and go the other way.

"Come on, Kids. The count down is gonna start." Dad said on the intercom.

We turned off the movie we were watching in the upstairs loft and headed downstairs. We reached the family room where all our parents were. The TV was on doing the countdown. Dad was pouring sparkling wine for us kids as Mom was pouring champagne for the adults. By the time all our drinks were past out, it was 20 seconds to midnight.

"To another good year!" Andy yelled.

We all cheered as we raised our glasses.

"5...4..."

I kept a smile on my face as my hopes started to get high. I knew this wasn't good at all.

"3..2...1 HAPPY NEW YEAR" We all screamed.

We all cheered and drank our drinks. I gave Petey a hug and a kiss on the cheek to Mom and Dad. I was about to go to Katie when Drew got to me first. I was about to hug him when he leaned in. I could feel the sweat dripping down my face. With that, he kissed me on the cheek.

"Happy New Years Kayla." He said in my ear as he pulled me into a hug.

I was shocked and sad at the same time. I then snapped out of it.

"Happy New Years." I said with a soft smile.

I then went over to Katie and gave her a hug. Everyone then left for home about an hour or so later. Mom and Dad stayed up as Petey and I went to bed. Mom was cleaning up a bit as Dad was "helping" her by finishing off the champagne. Mom was helping with that process too.

"Goodnight!" I screamed as I left the kitchen and headed up the stairs that were in the kitchen.

"Goodnight." Mom said as she continued to giggle with Dad all over her.

Parents and love. It makes me sick and sad at the same time. I changed my clothes and put on some comfortable pj's. I turned off my light and headed into bed. I was falling asleep to my Ipod that was on my iHome when the vibrate went off on my phone. I picked it off my nightstand and check it.

"Happy New Years, Kayla. Love, Drew"

My heart stopped. I didn't know how to react. I sent a reply.

"Happy New Years, Love. =D"

I put down my phone and went to sleep. It's hard to sleep when your heart feels heavy and tears are streaming down your face. I hope this year goes my way for once.