Messed Up Youthful Innocence

The Cure for Mixed Emotions is Mint Chocolate Chip

(Kayla's POV)

I looked into the mirror and sighed.

"Kayla! Come on! Drew and Katie are gonna be here soon." Petey said as he came in to my room.

"I'm coming." I said as I checked myself in the mirror again.

Today was Valentine's Day. I wanted to look my best even though I know I won't get what I want this year. We were allowed to wear regular clothes today instead of our uniforms since it is a holiday. I decided to wear a not too short skirt with a red v-neck long sleeve. My hair straight as always with my eyeliner on as well. I grabbed my bookbag and headed downstairs.

"You take forever, Kayla. It's not like you need anyone to impress. You're ugly anyways." Petey said as I reached the kitchen.

“Petey! Take that back or your guitar gets it.” I said.

“Yea and if you don’t you’re saying that your mother isn’t pretty at all seeing that your sister looks just like your mother.” Dad said.

Mom looked up from her bowl of Frosted Flakes and bananas to give Dad this look. She looked very happy. Dad probably bought her something nice this year as usual.

“Stop sucking up, honey. I am not getting it for you this year.” Mom said.

“Get what?” Petey asked.

“Stop changing the subject. Apologize.” Dad said.

“Sorry, Kayla. You do look really pretty today. Who are you trying to impress?”

“No one. Just wanted to dress up for once.” I said with my usual shoulder shrug.

“Right.”

All of a sudden, Petey and I heard Drew honking his horn, signaling for us to come out. I walked over to the fruit bowl and grabbed a banana and gave a kiss on the cheek to Mom and Dad.

“Bye!” Petey and I yelled as we walked out the door.

“Bye.” Mom and Dad yelled back.

Petey and I hopped into the car and headed for school.

“Wow Kayla, you look cute today.” Katie said.

“Thanks, you too.” I said as she turned to face the road again.

I looked outside the window but noticed in the rear view mirror that Drew kept looking at me after that. I promised to not get my hopes high. Drew and Petey dropped us off at school, and they headed off to their campus to waste another boring day at school.

********
I walked over to Katie’s locker after we were done with school like I always do as usual, waiting for Petey and Drew to come get us.

“Hey, Love.” I said as I approached her.

“Hey. Did you get my Crush?” she asked.

“Yea, I did. Did you get mine?”

“Yea.”

Every year for Valentine’s Day, Student Council sets up this little cute idea of sending cans of Crush pop to people who we love, are friends with, and who we have crushes on. I sent the friends one to my Katie. I sent another one though.. I sent a secret crush one to Drew. I know it’s sort of cheesy, but I wanted to send it. Maybe then I’ll have the guts to tell him the truth.

“Hey you two.” Drew said as he walked over to us with Petey straggling behind.

One thing I hate having Petey as a brother is that he’s a total man whore. Sometimes I can tell Mom hates the fact that he’s exactly like Dad.

“Hey.”

“Did you two get Crush cans?”

“Yea.” Katie said.

“Just the friends one right?”

“Yea.” We both said.

“Oh… I got one for a secret crush, and I’m trying to find out who gave it to me.” Drew said in disappointment.

Katie looked at me and knew that it was me. I didn’t even need to tell her.

“Drew!”

I felt someone knock into me and lunge herself at Drew. I look to see Jessica all over Drew again. I looked over at Katie and tried not to pay attention.

“Hey Drew. Happy Valentine’s Day.” She said.

“Happy Valentine’s Day. Did you get a Crush can?”

“Of course! And you?”

“Yea… a secret admire one. I wanna know…”

“I gave it to you.” She said quickly.

I froze and looked over at them. I looked over at Katie who was shocked.

“Why aren’t saying anything?” Katie said.

“I can’t. Not in front of Petey.”

“Are you gonna tell him?”

“I will eventually”

“She getting credit for something you did.”

“I know...I’ll tell him. Not now.” I said sadly.

“You wanna do something tonight?” Jessica asked.

“Sure… just call me.” Drew said with a smile.

“Come on, we need to go before Petey does something stupid.” I said as I saw my brother put his arms around two girls in our class.

**********
I walked down the street to escape the house. Mom and Dad were…doing something. Petey had a girl over as usual. I hope he doesn’t do something stupid with her. I hope he knows who she is this time and doesn’t get her confused with a different girl. Drew was with Jessica which sorta hurt me a little bit. I need to stop this now. I was on my way to the ice cream store. Katie said she would meet me there in an hour. She said she was doing something and would say. I wanted to get out of the house. So I headed there early.

I finally reached the ice cream shop and headed towards to get some coffee first to warm me up a little bit as I waited for her. I brought my Ipod along with a book to read to wait for her. I wanted to keep myself occupied while all these couples sit there and be happy. As I was getting in to my book, I felt someone put their hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Drew standing besides me.

“Hey.” I said as I pulled out my head phones.

“Hi… do you mind if I sit with you?”

“Sure.” I said.

“I tried calling you. I called your brother, and he said you would be here.”

“Yea… Sorry I had my Ipod on. I didn’t really hear it.” I said.

We sat there in silence as it started to get awkward. I put my book away and finished my coffee.

“I thought you were with Jessica.” I said.

“Oh… she sort of ditched me.” He said.

“Oh. Sorry.” I said even though I didn’t mean it.

“Meh… I shouldn’t have said yes in the first place.” He said as he ran his fingers through his hair.

God, this is what I’ve been wanting. I’m with the boy that I like on the day of love, and we’re talking about a different girl. All of a sudden Petey and Katie came into the ice cream store.

“Hey you two! Did you guys get ice cream already?”

“Nope. I had coffee before you guys came.” I said.

“Ahh ok. Well I’m craving for some.” Petey said.

Petey and Katie walked over to the counter to get some.

“Are you coming?” Drew asked.

“No it’s ok. I’ll sit here and get it when you guys get back so the table is saved. Plus I just finished my coffee.”

“Ok.”

Drew and Petey were still up in line when Katie came back.

“Hey… how did it go?”

“He just got here when you guys did.”

“Ohh did you tell him about the Crush can?”

“No… and I don’t think I ever will.”

“Kayla…”

“Here Kay.”

Drew then handed me a cone of Mint Chocolate Chip, my favorite.

“Aww Drew. Thanks.” I said with a smile as I took it from his hands.

“You’re welcome.”

I felt a little happy. The fact that he bought it for me. I would have gotten it, but he was nice enough to get it. This doesn’t help the whole getting over him deal.

“So Petey, I forgot to ask, did you get any Crush pop cans?” Katie asked.

I don’t know if she was doing this on purpose to get it out of me to tell Drew, but I can’t.

“Yea a few…”

“A few??? Mom and Dad counted all of the pop you brought home and were shaking their heads. You had at least 10.”

“Yea but I drank like two at school and I have two more in my locker.”

“Man whore.” Katie said.

“I am not.”

“Oh come on, Petey. Mom and Dad said they didn’t know what to do with you when you told them after you pulled out all that pop that you were having a girl over.”

“Which one?” Drew asked.

“Kristen?”

“The real blond one?”

“No not her…”

“Samantha?”

“No…”

“You don’t remember don’t you?” Katie asked.

“It’s on the tip of my tongue.”

“Save it, bro.” I said.

“Well how about you guys. Did you guys get any? Drew did you find out who gave that pop can to you?” Petey asked.

“A certain Wentz.” Katie said loudly enough for all of us to hear.

I looked over at Katie as kicked her leg underneath the table.

“What?” Drew and Petey said.

“I said I have a rip in my pants.” Katie said as she bent down and rubbed her leg.

She then looked over at me with a “I hate you and better say something or I’ll say it.” look. I shrugged it off and finished my ice cream. We all left the place, and Drew drove us home. It wasn’t a far walk. We live at the edge of Winnetka and Glencoe. They live in Glencoe. We were blasting what was on q101, singing and bobbing our heads to the music. By the time Smashing Pumpkins “Tonight Tonight” was done, we had reached our house.

“Bye you guys!” I said as I got out the car.

“Kayla?” Drew said as he lowered down the window.

“Yea?” I asked as I walked back to his car window.

He paused and smiled at me.

“Happy Valentine’s Day. You looked so pretty today.” He said loud enough for only me to hear.

I smiled back at him as my heart raced a mile a minute.

“Thank you. Happy Valentine’s Day. Thanks for buying my ice cream.”

“What are friends for?”

My smile sort of fell, but I tried to hide it.

“Bye. Be careful.”

“We will. Bye.” Drew said.

As I walked over to the front door, I didn’t know how to feel anymore. I was confused and happy. He at least said Happy Valentine’s Day to me, but it was killing me inside for feeling like this. I hate this feeling of being alone now. I just want to be happy.