Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Jumping to Conclusions Made Me Fall Away From You

(Kayla's POV)

"Hey Kay!" Katie said as I got inside the car.

"Hey Katie. Hey Drew." I said.

"Hey." he said, looking at me through the rear view mirror.

I haven't seen Drew since he asked me to go with him to prom, which was two days ago on Saturday. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not and he caught me at a bad time. I tried to hide all excitement when I said yes. I mean, yea I do like him, but the bad part of this all is that we're just going together as friends. Nothing more.

The ride to school was silent, only the morning mix on Q101 playing in the background. It wasn't that long though until we reached the girl campus where Drew and Petey dropped us off.

"Bye." Katie and I said as we got out of the car.

"Bye." the boys said back.

I took one last look at Drew before closing the car door. He flashed a smile at me, and I did the same.

"Dude, you seem so... happy and that's weird." Katie said as we walked inside school.

"How is that weird?" I asked with a confused look.

"Because you're never happy in the morning seeing that you hate mornings period. You get less cranky though by lunch time."

"Well that's because I know school is almost over."

"Whatever. I'll see you later." Katie said as she walked over to her locker.

"Later." I said as the warning bell rang.

I rushed to my locker, shoved my book bag inside my locker. I grabbed my books for Honors World History with Mr. Ryan and headed off to class.

*************
I sighed a relief as Spanish class with the crazy Crow, also known as Mrs. Crowell came to an end. She had gotten married over the summer, and her maiden name was Nohos. She seriously is a push over and being in that class can be hilarious. A day with "Crohos" is always eventful. It was so easy too. I grabbed my books and headed towards my locker to get my lunch. Katie and I had the last lunch period of the day, which sucked sometimes. By the time you are able to get food in the lunch line, you get what's left: warm food and leftovers. No fresh stuff. That's why I always packed a lunch, but occasionally get something here or there. I was about to go meet up at Katie's locker when...

"Dude, you're going to prom with Drew, aren't you?" Katie said as she popped out of nowhere.

I stared at her for a moment.

"What?" I finally said.

"Don't deny or act dumb towards me. You're going with him."

I couldn't deny or lie. How could I? First, she's my best friend and his sister. It would be sort of complicated if I did. And a lot of unhappiness from all of them.

"Yea, I am. How do you know?"

"I have my ways. Thanks for telling me. No wonder you've been all smiley."

"Yea.." I said with a smile.

"See there it is. Just weird." She said as she walked towards her locker to get her lunch. After lunch was over, I had art class next then study hall. I had been in a good mood all day until study hall hit. Grant it, it was the last class of the day, but still. I was stuck with Jessica, that's why. I put my books down on my desk and pulled out my ipod. We were allowed to listen as long as we were quiet about it. Jessica and her little group sat next to me, but I never paid any attention to them. They were very annoying to listen to their voices. Right as I was about to play "the Best Of Me" by The Starting Line. I heard Mary ask Jessica something.

"So, did Drew ask you to prom?"

"No, I'm so upset."Jessica said in an annoying whiney tone.

"What? Why?" Nicole asked.

"He's taking some other girl. I swear, he's such a jerk."

"He wasn't that cute anyways. Besides, his date probably isn't pretty compared to you,:

I was about to lung myself at all three of them. First, they said that Drew wasn't cute. Then they say I'm not pretty when they don't even know that it's me going with him. I didn't want to hear this anymore. I closed my books and put my head down. Maybe this was a bad idea after all.

*********
I woke up to the sound of the bell which meant study hall was over, and school was done for the day. I guess I had fallen asleep. I grabbed my books and headed out the door towards my locker, remembering what had happened almost an hour ago. I grumpily put my books in my backpack and zipped it up.

"Hey." Drew said as him and Katie walked towards me.

"Hey, you got here pretty quickly."

"Yea, we got out of study hall early."

"Where's Petey?"

"Where do you think?" Katie said as she parted away from standing next to her brother to show my brother hitting on many other girls.

I groaned and slammed my locker door.

"Hey, What's wrong?" Drew asked all concerned.

"Nothing. Let's go." I muttered as I walked over to Petey, dragging him away.

"You'll tell me though right?" Katie said.

"Of course." I said as we walked to Drew's car.