Messed Up Youthful Innocence

Riding Phone Lines,Falling Asleep, Phone in Hand

(Kayla’s POV)

“I don’t wanna study…” I said over the phone with Drew.

“Well too bad. We have to ‘cause we both have finals this week. You don’t want to get grounded from your parents do you?”

“Noooooo…”

“And it would suck if you couldn’t see me or talk to me for how long, wouldn’t it?”

“Well then we both have to study because if I don’t study either, I won’t be able to see you and then I would be all sad…”

“Me too.” I said.

“Lesigh….. What? Fine, Mom… My mom is making me hang up…I’ll talk to you later?”

“Ok… Fine, are you going to hang up or shall I?”

“I don’t care. You can hang up.”

“No you can…” I said with a smile.

“No you hang up…”

“No you hang up…”

“No you hang up…”

“No you…”

“Kayla, you better hang up because you’re suppose to be studying for finals.” Mom said.

I didn’t even know she came into my room. She was walking over to my hamper and grabbing all my dirty laundry.

“Bye Drew. My mom just yelled at me.”

“Bye.”

After that, I put my phone down and went back to studying.

“I still don’t understand why people do the whole ‘No you hang up…,’ ‘No you hang up…’ thing over the phone. Just hang up and get it over with!” Mom said as she grabbed my clothes.

“Oh come on, Mom. You’re telling me that you never did that with Dad?” I asked.

“Are you kidding me? One, your father lived right next door to me. We didn’t need phones because all we had to do was go to each other’s houses to talk…”

“But how about when you or Dad was grounded??”

“We just went outside on each other’s roofs. It wasn’t that hard… Trust me. Also, that is just way too sappy for me…”

“So you’re telling me that you never did that with any other boyfriend besides, Dad??”

“Well I did do it with…” Mom then stopped herself and stared at me…

“With who, Mom?” I asked.

“To come to think of it… no one. I never did it with anyone.” She said.

I tried to read her face. It was like she was hiding something, and I couldn’t understand why.

“Finish studying because if I find out you did badly in at least one class, you, young lady, are not going to have a fun summer.” Mom said as she left the room.

“Fine.” I said with a sigh.

I continued on to study for my first two finals tomorrow, Honors Chemistry and Honors English. I studied even though my brain kept screaming to stop and my eyes were getting droopy.

“Kayla, Petey, dinner.” Mom said in the intercom.

I gladly left my books and headed downstairs to eat dinner. It smelled good as I entered the kitchen. Mom made Petey’s and my favorite Filipino dish. Ever since we were little, Mom would always make it for us.

I saw Dad already at the head of the table, and Mom had set down all the food. Petey came downstairs a little after me and sat on the side by Dad. I sat next to Petey and Mom sat across from Petey. We all grabbed some food on our plates and ate away.

“Did you finish calling everyone?” Mom asked Dad.

“Yea, I’ve called the main people. I’m still contemplating on who to invite next..” Dad said.

“I thought you wanted to keep it small and intimate.”

“If I wanted to that, then it would just be our family, the Hurley’s, the Stump’s. and the Trohman’s.”

“True… well did they say for sure that all the people you invited would come?”

“What’s going on?” Petey asked with his mouth stuffed with rice and meat.

“Petey, chew, swallow, then talk.” Mom said.

“Sorry, Mom.” He said, with the food still in his mouth, along with Mom shaking her head at Petey.

“Seriously though, what’s going on?” I asked.

“I felt like having a party for my birthday this year. You guys will be done with school for the year, and we can open up the pool again and what not.” Dad said.

“Awesome!!” Petey and I said at the same time.

“Can I invite…”

“Don’t worry about that. Trust me. I’ve called their parents already…” Dad said as he grabbed more food.

Being kids of a somewhat famous couple is pretty sweet. I mean come on, my dad is the bassist/lyricalist of a famous band not to mention his record label and his clothing line. Then there’s my mom who’s a manager for a famous band plus she co-own Dad’s clothing line as well. Being in this situation, you’re friends with a lot of famous band member’s kids because you go on tour with them.

“Ok… I’m done.” I said as I rubbed my stomach from being full.

“Me too.” Petey said.

“Ok, put your dishes in the sink. You two are off the hook from cleaning the table and washing the dishes this week because you guys need to study. You two better be studying for finals, and when I come up there and check on you both you better be studying or else you two aren’t allowed at the party.” Mom said as she got up and started grabbing the dishes.

“Ok.” Petey and groaned.

“Well…”

“You aren’t going anywhere, Mister.” Mom said as she cut off Dad from trying to leave.

“But I need to study?” Dad said.

“What do you study? You‘re not in school anymore. You haven‘t been in a while.”

“Well I do study you, don‘t I?” Dad said he wrapped his arms around Mom and starting kissing her.

“Ewww….”Petey and I said as we bolted upstairs to our rooms.

As I started to study for my finals again, I got a text message from Drew.

”I heard your dad’s having a bday party”

”Yea he is. I need to go shopping now for a new outfit and possibly a new bathing suit”

”I WILL DEFINITELY BE THERE! I wouldn’t miss an opportunity to help you pick out a new bikini ;-)”

*rolls eyes* Psh… Who said you’re coming? And who said anything about a bikini?”

”Why do you have to ruin things for me???”

“Kayla Evelyn Wentz, what did I tell you? Tell Drew you will see him tomorrow.” Mom said as she stood at the door way of my room, with that motherly stance again.

“Fine…”I sighed.

”Mom’s yelling at me. And of course I have to ruin things for you. Later, Love.<3”

”later. I miss you. <3

”I miss you too.

I put down my phone and went back to studying. Soon school will be over, and I’ll be able to spend my whole summer with Drew and my friends.