‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 24

“So I think we both know that I don’t even know how to turn a blender on,” Gabe says, just as I close the door to his apartment.

“I thought so but I figured you must have a pretty good reason for lying to me,” I say pointedly and crossing my arms.

“Oh yeah, of course. I uh...um need help with this essay,” Gabe says. He grabs his laptop and sits down on the couch, patting the seat next to him.

“I can barely write my own essays,” I mutter, taking the seat next to him.

“Right so, I have the first sentence,” he says, opening the “essay” on Word.

I read the first sentence and glance at Gabe.

“You can’t be serious,” I mutter.

“What?” Gabe asks, looking truly offended.

“Gabe the first sentence can’t be my name is Gabe Saporta,” I laugh.

“How else is the professor supposed to know my name?” he asks. I roll my eyes and backspace the entire sentence, ignoring Gabe’s appalled expression.

“Okay so what’s the essay topic?” I ask, pulling the computer onto my lap.

“It’s about life-changing events,” he says slowly, his gaze boring into mine. I blush and look back down at the screen. Why was I blushing?

“What um...changed your life?” I ask nervously tapping my finger against the cold keys. Gabe doesn’t answer for what seems like an eternity and when he finally does it’s not even a real answer.

“A lot of things.”

“You can’t write-”

“Look Sabrina, forget the paper. It doesn’t even matter anymore. I could spend my life writing stupid papers and getting A’s but it would never matter, ‘cause what’s the point if you can’t even get the girl you want. I honestly, don’t understand you. Why do you refuse to give me a chance?” he demands, his eyes suddenly so full of passion.

I didn’t know what to say. There had been a reason –many I’m sure-- but I couldn’t even remember what it was or how I had come upon it. The only thing I could think of was how well Gabe seemed to hide his feelings so well.

Right now of course his eyes were boring into mine, but normally he seemed so unbelievably carefree. Like my dating William didn’t bother him at all. I had so desperately wanted to believe it.

I look back down at the computer screen, desperate to avoid his eyes and bite my lip nervously. I tap my finger against the keyboard and wish for some kind of distraction.

“Sabrina. I need you to-” he begins but the door opens. Thank God. Gabe pulls the laptop off of me, mumbling curses under his breath.

“You should get going,” he says, snapping the laptop closed with a reassuring click.

“Um-”

“Sabrina?” My head snaps up at William’s voice and I look at Gabe and then back at William.

“What are you doing here Bill?” I ask feeling suddenly very clueless.

“I live here. What are you doing here?” William asks and I find myself inching further and further away from Gabe. What the fuck?

“Y-you...what?

“I live here,” he repeats slowly.

“Gabe never said...why didn’t you tell me you lived together?” I hiss, turning my attention to Gabe.

“It never came up,” he shrugs.

“I am going to castrate-” I begin, but William clears his throat.

“Can I talk to you in the kitchen Sabrina?” William asks, anger and annoyance in his eyes.

“Uh yeah, of course,” I say in my sweetest voice, following him out of the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more part. Comments?