‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 30

Is she gonna be okay?” Gabe whispers and Pete nods.

“I already told you, the doctor said she’ll be fine. She just had a concussion,” Pete answers.

I clear my throat and they both turn around to face me. I was sitting in a hospital bed, wearing an unshapely gown and my entire body ached. I was just happy to be alive though. Pete and Gabe run over to me and Pete pulls me into a hug first.

“I’m sorry for yelling at you. I’m just happy you’re okay,” he says, before pulling away.

“Can we never fight again?” I ask and Pete pulls me into another hug. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Gabe standing against the wall, staring uncomfortably at the IV in my arm.

“Are you gonna give me a hug or what?” I ask, but Gabe doesn’t smile or make a move to hug me.

“I’m gonna go tell everyone that you’re awake,” he mumbles. Gabe heads out of the room and doesn’t stop walking–even when I say his name.

“What the hell is his problem?” I hiss and Pete gives me a look that tells me not to ask. I sigh and lean back in the bed and close my eyes. That’s when I remember the blood and how Patrick was driving the car. Oh god, Patrick.

“Is Patrick okay?” I ask and Pete’s expression changes completely. His eyes become doleful and morose and he seems to be filled with absolute dread.

“He didn’t...um actually..he’s great,” Pete says.

“You’re lying,” I say quietly. If there was one thing that Pete wasn’t good at it was lying. And right now I wished that he was a better liar.

“He’s...fine. You’ll see,” he mutters, almost to himself.

“Pete-”

“I’m gonna go check on Gabe,” he says distractedly. I was convinced now—something had happened to Patrick.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short I know....the next chapter will make up for it I promise.