‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 29

“Wait he broke up with her?” Kate asks, her eyes darting between Pete and I. I make no attempt to answer and Pete sighs.

“That’s what William says. Sabrina on the other hand hasn’t spoken to me since I yelled at her last night,” Pete says, giving me a pointed look. I cross my arms and turn back to the television. Pete had called both Patrick and Kate, because I hadn’t spoken to him since he had found me last night.

“Did you call Patrick?” Kate asks, sitting down next to me.

“He’s running a little late,” he answers and that moment Patrick comes bursting through the door.

“I spoke to William on my way over and he sounded pretty depressed,” Patrick says, giving me a sympathetic look. I ignore him and pull my knees up to my chest, staring blankly at the television.

“He broke up with her. He doesn’t deserve to-” Pete begins, but Patrick glares at him.

“Fine,” Pete mutters, heading off to his room.

“Let’s um...take a car ride and give him some time to cool off,” Patrick says quietly, giving me a hopeful look. I nod slowly and head for the door, while Patrick and Kate exchange hushed words. I ignore them and pull on a jacket, before heading out into the hallway.

I hadn’t spoken to Pete or anyone for that matter, because I wasn’t sure what to say. William had broken up with me, but I couldn’t be angry because it had been my fault entirely. I had never meant to lose William –as a friend or as a boyfriend– but somewhere along the way my thoughts had become so preoccupied with preserving Gabe’s feelings that I had lost him anyway.

I couldn’t blame Gabe, but I wished I could. He was always there at the right time and I was always falling for him. So maybe that was it. Maybe things with William hadn’t worked out because I was already falling for Gabe. And maybe Gabe had been right all along– maybe I did love him. Or maybe I was thinking too much again.

“Sabrina,” Patrick says, shaking my shoulder to get my attention.

“I’m sorry. I was um thinking,” I mumble, following Patrick down the hall. Patrick doesn’t answer and we remain silent until we get to the car. Patrick was one of the few people I knew who owned a car. It was an old beaten up Toyota that he constantly repaired.

“How are you feeling?” Patrick asks, pulling open the passenger door.

“I don’t know,” I mumble. Patrick gets into the driver’s seat and we both put on seat belts. I'm starting to like this ride a little more as I lock the seat belt into place. It secures me into the seat and for the first time in a while I feel safe. Nothing was going to catch me off guard or break my heart in this car.

“I know you’re in a bad place but you can’t dwell on-” Patrick begins, stopping at a red light.

“I hardly think that’s appropriate advice for someone who was just dumped,” I interrupt as the light turns green again.

Patrick slowly presses his foot on the gas pedal and time seems to slow down when I see the other car. It's moving way to quickly to stop at the light and driver doesn't seem to have any intention of slowing down.

“Patrick!” I scream but Patrick doesn’t even get the chance to turn around; the car has already collided with the driver’s side. I fall in and out of consciousness but when I am conscious all I see is blood and flashing lights.
♠ ♠ ♠
Two or three comments is honestly not enough for me to update with the next chapter. So you'll be stuck with this cliffhanger until comments go up.

Also for those of you who haven't already read it, Bill's POV (Part one) can be read here: Part One

Lastly, I'm working on a new joint story with the title: So Kiss Me Goodbye. I'll let you know when more info is available!