Margaret Thatcher - Comments

  • lozzieee who.

    lozzieee who. (610)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Nice article, decently written, and like everyone else has said, could have done more on her failures, of which there were quite a few.

    Not bad, well done!
    April 23rd, 2013 at 12:53pm
  • The Punisher

    The Punisher (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    @ Queen Obscene
    Sorry I meant if she had absolute power to do whatever she pleased.
    April 17th, 2013 at 03:30pm
  • Queen Obscene

    Queen Obscene (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ The Sun God
    Had she gained power?
    She was Prime Minister for about a decade until her own party forced her out after the Poll Tax catastrophe.
    April 17th, 2013 at 01:21pm
  • The Punisher

    The Punisher (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    @ Queen Obscene
    Oh yeah. The comic book community was a blaze after her death. Warren Ellis, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar, were glad she was gone. Someone aske what Alan Moore thoughts were on this. Somebody replies "that's what V for Vendetta was, his thoughts on what would happen had she gained power."
    April 17th, 2013 at 06:12am
  • Hayleyisbored

    Hayleyisbored (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I think the way people are rejoicing over her death is sad. She's still a person at the end of the day, despite what she's done and the whole 'Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead' going to number 1 thing is really awful. If it was about someone I loved, I'd hate it. I can only imagine what her family must be going through, trying to grieve when half the country are celebrating.

    Bizarrely enough though, my dad loves her. He's working class, as am I, and he thinks she's one of the greatest Prime Ministers we've ever had, second to Churchill. He says that someone would have had to do what she did, just the task fell to her. Whoever the Prime Minister is, the country won't be happy with them whatever they do. Margaret Thatcher was just one of the more controversial ones, with good reason.
    April 14th, 2013 at 12:52pm
  • Queen Obscene

    Queen Obscene (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I tend to be very opposed to anything the Tories do, but I find the fact people are gloating about the death of an old woman to be in very bad taste. I do also appreciate the fact she was an active voice for feminism.

    Ultimately, yes the unions needed controlling. The country was falling apart, most industries were only working a 3 day week, rubbish was piling up in the streets and the unions were bullies. However Thatcher didn't reel in the unions, she crippled them.
    The north is full of old mining towns that 30 years on are still on their knees.

    And she definitely didn't care about the poor, because the Tories never do.
    April 13th, 2013 at 01:39am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    REMINDER:

    Insulting and bashing anyone (whether that be the author of this article or the topic of this article) is NOT allowed and will result in a ban from the site. It's fine to disagree, but slinging insults won't be tolerated.
    April 12th, 2013 at 10:28pm
  • nearly witches.

    nearly witches. (15250)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Yup, 10 million on a funeral for a woman who was worth 80 million when she died. I don't see why her children (who as far as I am aware are seeing that money because of Thatcher's will) can't pay for the funeral because I can almost guarantee that the tax-payers of Britain couldn't care less about the woman and don't want to have to pay for.

    Everyone else below is right, she completely destroyed the industry in Britain. The Scottish are well known for hating the woman, even if she did manage to get the Faulklands back (no mean feat - I salute her for that). What you've done here is give the details that no one else seems to give. She was human (even if just barely) and you've shown that aspect. I like that about this article. As people have said below, you could have shown more of her failures, but the article itself is pretty solid and a good read as a tribute. I'll just never like the woman.

    @ VirgoAhtmah
    Margaret Thatcher has never been proven to be a paedophile. Yes, she was friends with Jimmy Savile but I think that the news would have had a field day if she was in cahoots with him (and being someone's friend doesn't equate to being the same as them). And she most certainly hasn't been outed as killing anyone because that's illegal and she would have been jailed long before now or, again, the media would have had a field day. Someone's religion shouldn't be brought into it either. Catholic or Satanist, she acted the way she acted. It isn't commendable and hardly anyone in Britain likes the woman, but she should be allowed to support whatever religion she wants.
    April 12th, 2013 at 01:20pm
  • a mimosa pudica

    a mimosa pudica (2200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Philippines
    @ Soy un Dorito!
    I, for one, did not know that they were going to spend that much on a funeral. I don't expect someone or even anyone to do that for me. XD But yes, there are a lot of people who don't like her for the things she has done.
    April 12th, 2013 at 12:42pm
  • Sansa Stark

    Sansa Stark (930)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    71
    Location:
    New Zealand
    And they want to spend £10M of tax payers' money on a funeral for someone who could care less for tax payers, unless they white, rich and heterosexual. Way to go! I'm sorry, but people like her disgust me.
    April 12th, 2013 at 11:56am
  • maus.

    maus. (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    No need to thank me, the fact that you wrote this, and that you go through and respond to the comments, which are also informative, and you keep it an open and fair discussion are really amazing. It's really an inspiration for someone who is looking into writing articles. It really sets the bar for people who strive to be good writers.
    April 12th, 2013 at 06:38am
  • a mimosa pudica

    a mimosa pudica (2200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Philippines
    @ cher lloyd.
    Uhm, thanks as well. :)
    April 12th, 2013 at 05:40am
  • a mimosa pudica

    a mimosa pudica (2200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Philippines
    @ mia san mia.
    Yes, I agree with you when I didn't really capture her as a public figure. But thank you for elaborating. Smile

    And thanks for the comment!
    April 12th, 2013 at 05:35am
  • a mimosa pudica

    a mimosa pudica (2200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Philippines
    @ VirgoAhtmah
    I realized that. Thank you for telling me what I already know. Apparently you didn't realize that this article was not supposed to totally bash the woman. I recognized there were a few mistakes in this article by not putting Thatcher's failures along with her achievements. Your comment really isn't necessary here if you're just going to complain about the woman and my article without any restraint.
    April 12th, 2013 at 05:32am
  • a mimosa pudica

    a mimosa pudica (2200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Philippines
    @ Sempiternal;;
    Oh, I've read about poll tax. Cool
    April 12th, 2013 at 03:36am
  • VirgoAhtmah

    VirgoAhtmah (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I Agree with GlasgowXsmile....This women was a Pedophile in case you didn't know...and her and Jimmy (If you know what Jimmy I am talking about) were well known Satanists and Pedophiles who killed and Sexually Abused Children....they can both burn in hell for all I fucking care and you are one ignorant fuck for writing this Article. Wake up and go to davidicke.com although you are probably maybe even British and will call him a Nutter, he ain't.

    Politicians don't care and never have and never will.
    April 12th, 2013 at 03:26am
  • bona drag.

    bona drag. (935)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Ireland
    I get that she just died so speaking ill of her would be distasteful, but I felt like this article didn't really capture all the facts of her as a public figure. It makes her seem like this highly celebrated person in the UK when that's not the truth at all. What has elevated her to this status and makes her someone that we still talk of to this day is the fact she was so controversial and the opinions of her were radically divided among the population. As informative and well written as this article is, it's really only the positive side to her story.
    Quote
    It was during this time that miners' strikes were finally reduced.
    Because she effectively shut down the mining industry entirely. Strikes were reduced because she put them out of work so they had nothing to strike over. It wasn't like she settled with them, she got rid of them as a problem to her altogether. Her successes only came at a great social cost. She sacrificed the people for the country and that's a huge reason we still debate her.

    I understand you meant this as a tribute, but even tributes I have been reading in the news to her make mention that her policies were hotly disputed and the public's perception of her is still split. It was a lovely article, I just wish you could have at least mentioned that she was unpopular among the working class or some of the social unrest she caused. It was a very nice light overview of her life though.
    April 11th, 2013 at 10:50pm
  • GlasgowXsmile

    GlasgowXsmile (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    96
    Location:
    United States
    I'm so tired of hearing of this lady tbh, she was disgusting woman.
    April 11th, 2013 at 08:49pm
  • maus.

    maus. (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I have been reading articles lately and I love how much I learn both from the articles and the comments. I just want to thank everyone and the writer.
    April 11th, 2013 at 07:17pm
  • Hearse;

    Hearse; (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ a mimosa pudica
    You're welcome! Cool eh oh well. I have my History exam in 4 days and it's on Miners strike and poll tax. She's the one that caused those two things! :(
    April 11th, 2013 at 07:11pm