@%*# Censorship! - Comments

  • SapphireStar

    SapphireStar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    censorship is dumb. no one needs it.
    June 29th, 2009 at 12:53pm
  • harris.

    harris. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Damn straight. Censorship sucks. I absolutly hate it. And I really like this article. Good job. Sometimes cursing is the only way to get a point across, and if someone gets offended by a word, they need to grow up. There is nothing offensive about the word fuck.
    February 22nd, 2009 at 03:10am
  • wxyz

    wxyz (240)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    96
    Location:
    Aland Islands
    Oh, and just to clarify, the reason they censored God in the PATD song is to make goddamn become -damn. Damn of course isnt really considered that bad a word nowadays, but there are still loads of people (christians) that are offended by goddamn .
    October 28th, 2008 at 02:35pm
  • wxyz

    wxyz (240)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    96
    Location:
    Aland Islands
    This is a brilliant article :) it's nice to see some real effort put into it.
    Im pretty much against censorship; if you can hear the rest of the phrase, it's usually really obvious what the swear word was, hence defeating the object of covering it up. I understand completely the point of view of trying to protect children from it, but aren't they going to be exposed to it a lot in adulthood anyway? Besides, it's all around them as children, with their friends swearing etc.
    October 28th, 2008 at 02:30pm
  • the god of mischief.

    the god of mischief. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Yes, and, I also noticed on VH1 they are now beeping out ANYTHING that has to deal with drugs.
    "Drug Dealer"
    "Crack"
    "Herione"
    "Addiciton"
    YOU NAME IT.
    Since when are these even considered "Cuss" Words???!!!
    I agree with you whole-ly.
    October 24th, 2008 at 11:52pm
  • WaterQueen07

    WaterQueen07 (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I totally agree. Great article, by the way. It was very well written.
    Honestly, I don't think censorship helps anything at all. We all know what it's SUPPOSED to say, so what's the point?
    Anyways, we can't be protected from everything. Like we've never heard those words before.
    October 21st, 2008 at 02:03am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Wow. I am shocked at how immature our generation is becoming because of swear words.
    October 18th, 2008 at 09:10pm
  • nikkinightmare

    nikkinightmare (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Censorship really isn't all that bad. I mean, kids shouldn't hear some of the stuff played in some songs on the radio. If you don't like it, listen to your iPods or mp3 players. Listen to all explicit songs you'd like.

    " I remember when they played 'I Write Sins Not Tragedies' on the radio all the time. They didn't even censor the swear. 'God' was censored, not damn. "

    Some religious people are very offended when people use God's name in vain. I know it's against the Catholic religion for sure, but I'm not sure about other Christian religions.
    October 18th, 2008 at 05:07pm
  • ravegirl.

    ravegirl. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    That is so true.
    I get so made when you're in the middle of a good song and it's like "blah blah...bleeeeeeeeep!!!!!!!!"
    It's so annoying.
    October 18th, 2008 at 04:35pm
  • Spanish Lullaby

    Spanish Lullaby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This is true. They censor "gun" and "shirt" from Teenagers, and yet allow half-naked women to gyrate all over the music videos. Like that won't corrput kids? Acutally, it'll corrupt them more, seeing as they'll think it's stylish and walk around town in a bikini.

    And the Sean Kingston video on MTV, when they took out the word "suicidal", but rather than replacing it with "in denial" like FUSE and the radio stations, they thought it was best to leave a whole chunk of the song missing. That was the day I stiopped watching MTV. I mean really, you think a kid's gonna shoot himself just because he heard the word "suicidal"? If he did, he was f**ked up to begin with, in whiich case, his parents should have noticed and helped him. All in all, I can see the point in some censorship. But in mindless banning of phrases that really won't do any harm to a healthy young mind, I say "nay"
    October 18th, 2008 at 04:19pm
  • Scottie

    Scottie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I was gonna write an article like this about a year ago... Thnks fr th Mmrs -Fall Out Boy came on and a good chunk of it was sliced out of the song, messed it all up!

    Censorship is stupid.
    October 18th, 2008 at 03:32pm
  • I Rock

    I Rock (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    84
    Location:
    United States
    I fucking HATE censorship!
    I can kinda understand the sware words, but they bleep out the word GUN in Teenagers by My Chemical Romance! And Panties in Bottle and a gun by Hollywood Undead!!
    It's ridiculous!!
    October 18th, 2008 at 09:35am
  • horsie890

    horsie890 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Censorship does not equal Communism. Where in the name of sanity did you come up with that?
    October 18th, 2008 at 08:17am
  • So Figured Out?

    So Figured Out? (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    FUCK YEAH!
    October 18th, 2008 at 07:38am
  • Paint The Roses Red

    Paint The Roses Red (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Awesome article. Really. Kids hear this stuff from their parents everyday and at school especially if they're in high school. I know 'fuck' is engraved on my brain because of some marching band members. And there are a lot of words... but are they as fun to say as fuck?
    October 18th, 2008 at 05:26am
  • bullets are hailing.

    bullets are hailing. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Great article. =]
    Seriously, some things censored are stupid because some of the words aren't even bad.
    Like for Cobra Starship's song "The City Is At War", they censored "shoot" and "drugs" and replaced those words with "hood" and "clothes".
    October 18th, 2008 at 05:08am
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I couldn't read through all of that.
    October 18th, 2008 at 04:29am
  • brain trauma 101

    brain trauma 101 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Covered.In.Cake is right. it's extremely stupid how they censor God. Since when has it become a swear word??
    I especially like when my teacher yells at me for saying Jesus.
    October 18th, 2008 at 04:28am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Ehhh. I have some points to make:

    “The society we now live in is too "moral" to enjoy good music because the artist drops the f-bomb now and then.”

    Who are you to judge when “moral” becomes too much? Isn’t that a direct contrast to what you’re trying to promote: freedom? You say sensorship limits your freedom. Well, why are you limiting other’s opinons on whether or not they like music? Don’t be a hypocrite.

    “These people are probably the same ones who complain about traditions being broken; the same people who plug their ears and scream at the top of their lungs about how rock ‘n’ roll is the devil’s music.”

    That is a generalization, or as is popular to be called in Mibbian culture, stereotyping. Are you trying to promote that as well as freedom? Because that is what your article is doing.

    “[Censorship] basically restrains a person from being an individual.”

    Or it is a sure sign that an individual isn’t creative enough to use the thousands of other words in the English language to get their point across. If censorship restrains creativity, the mind is already limited to the notion that the swearing is necessary when it is not.

    “People who are not musicians can’t understand how it feels to create a work of art that can most likely inspire at least half of the country.”

    Oh? Really, now. How about authors/storytellers? Artists (as in the original sense of the word, not pertaining to creators of music)? You need to understand that musicians aren’t the only artists around. Music is not the only type of work that touches people. With this statement, you are severely favoring musicans and basically saying that everyone else can not possibly do what musicans do, when in reality these others had been doing it for just as long. Last time I checked, the plays by Shakespeare had touched many more people than an album by Green Day, perhaps at least half of the world.

    You have a good point, but your view is extremely narrow-minded and has plenty of holes (at least as many as I had pointed out). Culturally, swears are negative and make people uncomfortable due to the connotations associated with them. Until the definitions change and the words are integrated differently into society, people will feel this way. Why should media make people uncomfortable for a few listeners’ sake? Just because a song is sensored on the radio does not mean it’s sensored on the album.

    My concluding point: stop whining. If you want to listen to a song with swears, turn away from the radio and go listen to your iPod. If you don’t have the music, buy it in stores. That way, you can make sure you buy the unsensored version. Hey, that’s freedom to control what you can and can not hear right there…
    October 18th, 2008 at 04:06am
  • Berytni

    Berytni (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Fuck censorship.
    *Great article btw*
    October 18th, 2008 at 03:34am