Language - Finding the Middle Ground - Comments

  • Raskolnikov

    Raskolnikov (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    The literature of the future will be written by the teenagers of the now.

    And their children.

    And their children.

    Thing will change, time has a habit of doing that.
    April 5th, 2009 at 02:49am
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I think that Twitter/Facebook do affect the way high school students talk, I'm not denying that, I just don't think that literature is made by teenagers. Language doesn't survive solely through texts and blogs, but through books. Again I'm not saying that in some groups spoken language hasn't become more simplistic, just that I don't think it'll permanently damage literary language a great deal.
    March 31st, 2009 at 02:53pm
  • life is but a dream

    life is but a dream (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I agree with just_call_me_dookie.
    In a sense our language abilities are devoloving. Now it all about convieniance. It has become too easy to just say 'lol' or 'brb'. It takes the shortest amount of time, but few people seem to realise the lack of emotional connection we can make with these letters. We have the capability for much better communication. We need to use it.

    Nice article.
    March 31st, 2009 at 02:08pm
  • Raskolnikov

    Raskolnikov (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Thanks for the replies!

    I wanted to see if this sort of thing would take off on Mibba, and evidently it did. As you say, it's nice to see people interested in affairs other than Twilight!
    March 30th, 2009 at 08:31pm
  • No Regrets

    No Regrets (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I like this. I share your language ability. However, there is a cause for many people to have problems with languages. There's a certain part of the brain that either develops well or it doesn't. These same people that can't learn languages most likely have problems with written english as well.
    March 30th, 2009 at 06:51am
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Haha! The Romeo thing cracked me up! That was great. And sadly, probably pretty true.

    Today Romeo would be like hey baby, wanna ..pluck?

    Nice article :]

    Its refreshing to read something thats not about homophobes, Twilight, or religion.

    I agree.
    March 29th, 2009 at 07:40pm
  • Silly_Girl

    Silly_Girl (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Beautiful Article, truly. I agree with you. We need to hold on to our language and people need to start using it correctly. Most of my friends don't even say good-bye when hanging up the phone. I have a theory it's because of texting and myspace. You rarely say "Good-bye" in those situations so it damages your communication skills. Evolvement of something is crucial. But the way it seems to have come with language is we're devolving not evolving and I think that that is utterly disgusting.
    March 29th, 2009 at 07:29pm