Lycan vs. Werewolf - Comments

  • which-witch

    which-witch (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I never bothered to question the difference, as a lot of people haven't. I've always thought the two terms were synonyms, but I guess I was wrong. This article, as well as the comments below, have been very informative.
    August 26th, 2012 at 04:16am
  • jennyxshads

    jennyxshads (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I honestly never thought about the differences between the two, though it definitely makes sense now that there are. Nice article :D
    July 25th, 2010 at 11:56pm
  • bsal_83

    bsal_83 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    40
    Location:
    United States
    I've researched this topic quite a bit in the past and I have to say, Rev. Twitch is right. There really isn't much of a diff. I think the problem is mainly that Wikipedia is an unreliable source. It's interesting sure, but if you find something you like it's best to make sure it's right before you use it.
    July 9th, 2010 at 11:38pm
  • xXGreyWingsXx

    xXGreyWingsXx (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Would have liked to have read more, which is probably why I now have the Wikipedia page open.

    Just one point to make: you said, "[i]Werewolves are actually of old English folklore. They started up in the Americas after the Spanish settled here.[/i]" If a myth began in the Americas it is definitely not an old English folklore, as old English folklore originates from England before the mid-12th century. But the myths didn't begin in the Americas anyway, they began in European folklore. General myths about shapeshifters are a large part of Native American Indian tradition, but that's quite a separate matter.
    July 3rd, 2010 at 07:54pm
  • fishsticks08

    fishsticks08 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    There was a king w/ the disease of lycanthropy. I also heard the same king had a disease where he grew hair all over his body uncontrollably
    July 3rd, 2010 at 03:27pm
  • The Reverend Twitch.

    The Reverend Twitch. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    But on the subject on your article, there isn't much of a difference. Lycan's are actually werewolves but have learned to transform at will instead of following the full moon patterns.
    July 3rd, 2010 at 11:14am
  • The Reverend Twitch.

    The Reverend Twitch. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    There is a actual mental health issue called Lycanthropy. And, despite it's names and orgins, people who suffer from this, don't just belive they transform into wolves, but also other animals representing streangth, such as the bear, bison, wild cats. According to history, one woman had to be kept in a cell due to the condition because she belived she transformed into a eagle.
    July 3rd, 2010 at 11:10am
  • ThePiesEndure

    ThePiesEndure (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    38
    Location:
    Australia
    Lycan is also probably a spin from a latin or greek word used in some scientific names for wolves/wolf-like animals.
    July 3rd, 2010 at 06:17am
  • ThePiesEndure

    ThePiesEndure (115)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    38
    Location:
    Australia
    Just to add another spin Lycanthrope means any sort of Were, not just werewolves.
    July 3rd, 2010 at 06:17am
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I was one of the oblivious ones who never realized a difference. What an interesting topic, it was fun to read. =]
    July 3rd, 2010 at 12:01am
  • DressedInDecay

    DressedInDecay (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This was very interesting to read as the differences between the two have always crossed my mind in questioning. It was nice to read a well written article with the thoughts and information pieced nicely together instead of being scattered about.


    Thank you. :)
    July 2nd, 2010 at 11:56pm
  • Flightless Bird

    Flightless Bird (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This was actually very interesting. I never really bothered to see the difference between the two. But now that it has been pointed out I definetly see it. Nice article, it was well written.
    July 2nd, 2010 at 08:17pm
  • Flo.

    Flo. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Poland
    Nice article ; ) I guess that even in the movie Underworld they kind of mentioned the difference between lycans and werewolfs. Or at least they hinted at that.
    I guess that I wouldn't take wikipedia as a reliable source. You never know what kind of mistakes or how many of them is there ;)
    July 2nd, 2010 at 06:39pm