Harry Potter & The Nazi Regime - Comments

  • FightingGravityxXx

    FightingGravityxXx (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Well written. I never thought of comparing the two, but it was defiantly interesting to read about them being compared, and when you really think about it, the two have definite similarities.
    January 11th, 2011 at 08:04pm
  • Scarlett Smile

    Scarlett Smile (155)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    This was such an insightful read. I enjoyed it very much! You know, if you were to go to any fan conventions, most likely any of the HPEF cons, I'd highly suggest you open a forum for this. There would be so many fans interested in dissecting such similarities through discussion of your article. :) Thanks for taking the time to write something I thoroughly enjoyed reading.
    January 8th, 2011 at 01:35am
  • Reinvent 12

    Reinvent 12 (240)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Very very well written, indeed! Great job with explaining each point and treating the reader as if they've never heard of Harry Potter or the Nazi's! You did a great job researching your subjects brilliantly and I appreciate that you have a sizable Bibliography section.

    The only thing that I would "change" with this, is that the excerpts you used should be italicized, so that the reader can differentiate clearly what is from your source and what you are trying to tell us. But, that's just a minor thing that doesn't effect the work.

    I'm kinda glad you pointed out the difference between book and movie in the beginning, although generalizing to make it sound like the majority of people who just watch the movies and not read the book think that its plain good vs. evil is probably... too general. XD But, I at least, knew what you meant. :]

    Anyway, great work and I'm glad I read it.
    January 5th, 2011 at 12:11am
  • WriteToLive

    WriteToLive (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I've noticed this, too, and I'm glad that someone has finally gone through and pointed out the relations. I still love Harry Potter, though!
    January 1st, 2011 at 08:34pm
  • dark_airhead

    dark_airhead (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Interesting. I never really saw it that way until now, but I guess that just shows how horrible I am with symbolism. Good article! :)
    December 28th, 2010 at 07:25am
  • what's the story?

    what's the story? (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I have noticed similarities between Nazi Germany and the Wizarding World, especially during the seventh book, with the discrimination and killing of Muggle borns and muggles. Very well written, points out the similarities clearly.
    December 25th, 2010 at 05:30am
  • Perfectly Sweet

    Perfectly Sweet (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    54
    Location:
    United States
    nice article-very well written. I never noticed those connections and after you pointed them out I see them. I like how you putt links to where you got your information.
    December 24th, 2010 at 06:46am
  • Romans6:14

    Romans6:14 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I think this was very well written, and you made a lot of excellent points.

    I did find ths though, "Superficial comparisons aside, Churchill was one of the first to recognize the evils of Lord Voldemort, long before the Second World War"
    I don't think Lord Voldemort was part of WW2, or that Churchill knew him. ;)
    December 24th, 2010 at 02:52am
  • Katie_Bugg

    Katie_Bugg (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Bellatrix Lestrange married Rodulphus Lestrange before Voldemort's fall when Harry was a baby. I just wanted to point that out because you don't want any of your facts wrong.
    December 23rd, 2010 at 05:31pm
  • ChemicallyImbalanced

    ChemicallyImbalanced (1365)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    You have made this article a lot easier to read by dividing it into sections, particularly because it is so long. It is well thought out and I can see that you have clearly put a lot of time and effort into writing and research to back up your analaysis. However, there are some points that stood out whilst I was reading this.

    To be honest, whilst there are similarities between them, reading this I feel like you (or your sources) have tried to create connections on some parts.

    For instance, the part about the Mother's roles. The example used would suggest that those following Voldemort (Malfoys, Blacks) would be home makers. But they really aren't. And your example of Molly Weasley contrasted your idea because she is in no way for Voldemort's cause.

    The second part that I thought was very general, was relating the dark mark to the Swastika. Yes, there is a connection there, but there are plenty of others as well. How many times has a symbol been used to distinguish people belonging to a group? The Ichthys was used to distinguish whether or not someone was an ally or enemy (during the early christian church), and the red star was a symbol worn by those in the Red army. It's a very common thing to use a symbol, so I don't think it necessarily has to relate to the swastika.

    The only other thing that I'd like to mention, is that you rely on wikipedia an awful lot. Whilst it's conveniant, it isn't always accurate, and can contain made up information, or simply opinions. Try going to the source of that information and referencing from that. It would make your analysis much more reliable.
    December 23rd, 2010 at 01:32pm
  • TheMadGinger

    TheMadGinger (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Very well written. Though I have never thought of it this way, because in my eyes, it's just a book, the similarities are quite obvious.
    December 23rd, 2010 at 05:58am