What is Literature and What Can Be Gained By It? - Comments

  • bendjamin44

    bendjamin44 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Australia
    This site offers a comprehensive collection of book recommendations for all tastes and interests. The reviews are well-written and concise, allowing readers to get a sense of the book without revealing too much. Furthermore, the site provides links to online retailers where the books can be purchased, making it convenient for readers to explore their desired titles further. The site delivers a fantastic selection of reads and acts as a valuable resource for finding new and exciting books.
    September 19th, 2023 at 12:33am
  • freddy43

    freddy43 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    24
    Location:
    China
    Hey there! Any literature enthusiasts in the house? I'm in search of a space where I can nurture my love for books and delve deeper into the world of literature. If you have any suggestions, I'd be thrilled to hear them!
    September 18th, 2023 at 07:11pm
  • SHYLA01

    SHYLA01 (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Hey thanks for the comments.
    Just so everybody knows; this was an essay for my Literature class at university. This meant that I could only use certain books and pretty much only look at english literature. I tried to mention that literature is hard to be defined because so much can be literature. Not to mention I could only do so many words.
    So thanks for all your feedback. :)
    April 18th, 2011 at 03:58pm
  • volta.

    volta. (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    I've tried to read this a few times now, and I finally got through the whole article, and I'm not entirely sure if the title of the article came through to me within the content.

    I think my problem with this is that you only really discuss literature through the idea of English Literature (novels). You don't really present the idea that there are other types of literature out there - historical, musical, French...etc.

    [i]Literature is the art of written works[/i] according to Wikipedia, so I'm not sure you're point about an elite claiming [i]this and that[/i] is literature is valid at all. Anything written down is a part of the literature world, and it doesn't necessarily have to published at all.

    I do, however, like how you've written about novels which portray the Industrial Revolution and NAZI Germany, and how modern readers can attain a level of understanding through these stories - I thought that was quite well done. However, from what I've said - you could equally say history textbooks and Journal articles, and primary sources of Historical contexts could equally do the same thing.

    I think you just limited yourself to English Literature rather than literature as what it really is. Other than that, it was really well written, and you sourced your material really well. :)
    April 13th, 2011 at 11:34pm
  • xUnforgivableCursex

    xUnforgivableCursex (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    This is a really good article; it was a nice read too. Thank you. I think another good piece of literature is the novel Nights by Eli... I can't remember his last name but it is an account of his time in a concentration camp during the Holocaust, and The Diary of Anne Frank is another good example too since it's fiction based on the author's experience as a Jew. :)
    April 13th, 2011 at 08:41pm
  • Flo.

    Flo. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Poland
    I really enjoyed reading this article. It's so well written and I like the examples of this two books :)

    I kind of think that those two books are even better and more of a real thing because it's what they knew. After all Borowski was in Auschwitz as a prisoner and was forced to work there. Personal experiences make a book a lot truthful.
    April 11th, 2011 at 03:30pm