A Hunger Games Controversy - Comments

  • give me your heart

    give me your heart (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    I LOVE THE HUNGER GAMES!!! Books, Movie, merch...ect.
    April 24th, 2013 at 10:09pm
  • delirym

    delirym (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    So out of all the things in this book/movie, you didn't like it because lack of profanity?
    September 26th, 2012 at 02:52pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    I didn't read the books and I don't remember any vulgarity in the film. That means if there was some, it was so understated that it didn't matter. And if it's what people are saying with 'hell' and taking the Lord's name in vain, that's not even swearing. Disney movies have said hell and damn.
    August 27th, 2012 at 09:26pm
  • Roden.

    Roden. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    38
    Location:
    United States
    The Hunger Games has nothing to do with religion. I'm pretty sure if you were in their situation, that you'd wonder why the hell all this terrible shit was happening to you.
    August 26th, 2012 at 04:33pm
  • arye.tyler

    arye.tyler (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I don't know if this has been said already, but Hunger Games is set in a post-apocolyptic US. If there's one thing that's enduring throughout history, it's profanity. So, while they might not have been present in the books, it's reasonable to believe that they would have still existed but have gained a new connotation, from the stand-point of a movie adaptation. Just an opinion, though.
    August 26th, 2012 at 04:57am
  • Sara_K

    Sara_K (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Deus Ex Machina:
    Are you seriously upset because they said "oh my god" and "what the hell?" That's not even considered profanity anymore.
    This is what I was thinking the entire time. I don't really get what you're trying to say, but if I'm assuming right, you think that there's no God present in the "Hunger Games" time period so they shouldn't be using phrases like this.

    I've never seen/ read the Hunger Games, but I can assure you, people will find God anywhere. Whether they're in a post-apocolyptic situation or not, someone will always find some kind of diety to try and explain it all.

    But as said before, these aren't considered profanities anymore, not in this day and age.
    August 23rd, 2012 at 08:16pm
  • Haysay

    Haysay (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    @tacobellangel
    Seriously? -_- that's all you picked up from my comment?
    August 23rd, 2012 at 06:10pm
  • shattered soul;

    shattered soul; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    101
    Location:
    United States
    @ Haysay
    you're*
    August 23rd, 2012 at 06:02pm
  • GGGG.

    GGGG. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    45
    Location:
    United States
    Are you seriously upset because they said "oh my god" and "what the hell?" That's not even considered profanity anymore.
    August 23rd, 2012 at 07:48am
  • stone mustang

    stone mustang (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I seriously didn't think I'd start a fandom discussion like this when I posted my I Wonder on a whim. Wow, words do have power. I was disappointed they wrote profanity into the script however and maybe that triggered this article that the blasphemous profanity shot the Capital in the foot because someone might have researched the blasphemy to see who God is. From the reading I've done in history when a dictatorship takes over either one religion is manipulated by the government to make the people serve blindly or all religion is wiped away, including references in language. I have read the entire Hunger Games trilogy, I was just putting the movie itself into my thinking train's headlight. Thank you though for your opinions.
    August 22nd, 2012 at 06:30pm
  • stone mustang

    stone mustang (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I know this article is poorly written. Its more of an 'I wonder if' instead of an essay. I should have been clearer, but thank you everyone for commenting anyway! It helps me a lot.
    August 22nd, 2012 at 06:19pm
  • archivist

    archivist (660)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    24
    Location:
    United States
    Ironic really: Upon reading this, I noticed an ad for Hunger Games on my Mibba.
    August 22nd, 2012 at 05:57am
  • Garideth

    Garideth (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This is kinda pointless for me to say since all of these arguments have been made, but I noticed someone said that expressions like "Oh my God" and "What the hell?" really have nothing to do with religion anymore. I just wanted to agree with that. I mean, I'm an atheist and I still use those phrases constantly--by now, they're just part of my vocabulary, especially due to our society. They're very common expressions and you don't necessarily have to support the certain religion to use them. (Plus, THG had nothing to do with religion. Not once was it mentioned, other than using those phrases, so there's no point in trying to read into something that isn't there.)
    August 22nd, 2012 at 02:22am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    I have no idea what you're trying to say...
    August 22nd, 2012 at 01:21am
  • ello.luv

    ello.luv (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    @ asteroid

    I just finished reading all three books last night. The scene of Katniss laying Rue in the flowers is in the first book. The book tells how Katniss sees a patch of wild flowers not far away from Rue so she knew her body wouldn't be taken away by a hovercraft. It says Katniss picks an arm load of flowers and frames Rue's head and body, and weaves flowers into her hair. Then Katniss turns to the sky kisses three fingers and holds them up to the people in District 11. In the book though there was no mention of the uprising in 11 of coarse due to Katniss being in the arena.

    Now in the second book Catching Fire when Peeta and Katniss are again chosen to participate in the Quarter Quell, during their personal time in front of the gamemakers in the training center, Peeta paints the picture of Rue laying in the flowers. He says he does it to make the gamemakers, in some way, responsible for what they did Rue.
    August 21st, 2012 at 11:03pm
  • Celticsfan101

    Celticsfan101 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Just a question... was I the only person that didn't like the movie or the books? I thought the topic was used over and over again but in different ways and they seemed to be saying that in the future, kids will be used to set the fate of the rest of a "country". I find the whole topic despicable and pointless.
    August 21st, 2012 at 05:37pm
  • peggy carter.

    peggy carter. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    @ asteroid
    The books said Katniss and Gale had 'olive' skin, while Peeta had pale skin.
    I think the creators were trying to say it was 'Mediterranean olive', which can be a bit pale-ish. I don't remember, though, where that was from. Think
    August 21st, 2012 at 05:25pm
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    And Shattered_Mirror, was there a specific reference in the books to what skin color Katniss was? I must have missed it. I know certain characters, like Rue, were definitely described with that aspect. I'm just curious. I should probably reread the books soon.
    August 21st, 2012 at 05:19pm
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I just want to add to the good points already stated (like certain words and ideas transcending the immediate events of time) since I don't want to rehash anything.

    You use the example in one of your comments that District 11 (that was just one district, by the way--not the entire "people") jumps to revolution after Rue dies and Katniss covers her with flowers. That's wrong. That did not happen in the first book. It was a foreshadowing element used by the script writers to inject more emotion into the society. That scene is actually from the second or third book. I don't remember exactly. Probably the second.

    If you want to write an accurate analysis, it's better to read the books and base it off them. Or you could do a comparison between the two. I know you touched on this a bit--saying that there wasn't profanity in the books. I just find it odd that you noticed that but not the misplaced scene.
    August 21st, 2012 at 05:12pm
  • LovelsLove

    LovelsLove (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    lol... wut. o.o
    August 21st, 2012 at 04:28am