Cutting - A Disorder Or A Fashion Statement - Comments

  • JeffreyLionelDahmer

    JeffreyLionelDahmer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Sweden
    People do NOT just cut for attention. I cut, and i do it beacause i can't stop. It's a really bad addiction
    July 11th, 2008 at 03:01pm
  • Rampage

    Rampage (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    People Who cut themselves really just want attention.
    And it's really quiet pathetic.

    they don't even deserve help.

    If they really wanted to kill themselves, they'd be dead.
    July 10th, 2008 at 08:46am
  • DeadEnd

    DeadEnd (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Wow.. I must admit that I have no idea where to begin. There is so much that I could say about cutting. Well, I could start off by saying that I'm 18-years-old, and I started cutting at the age of 9. I did it because I had an obsession with vampires, I waned to be one. I used to cut myself so I could drink the blood. The addiction grew, and soon enough I had started cutting every hour, even during school. I would make up dumb reasons to do it... Bad grades, upset friends, mean teachers... Stupid things like that. It started 9 years ago, and I'm still not over the addiction. I've gone through help, I'm on pills. I have my boyfriend making me promise not to do it. People really need to understand that cutting is not a joke. I'm not assamed of my problem, I won't lie about that, but I'm not proud of it either. It's not something to go flaunting. I really wish that all along my mom would have noticed the scars, the cuts, the blood, anything. I was calling for help and she never noticed. All I ever wanted was the help, but she never listened. To this day she doesn't like to admit that I'm clinically depressed, that there's a chemical imbalance in my brain. That's why I make sure I'm there for anyone and everyone that needs to talk about cutting. I can help. I may not be able to get myself to stop but I have helpped a bunch of people overcome their addiction.

    If anyone needs help, just let me know. I'm willing to help anyone.

    Awesome article, by the way.

    x3
    Bethann
    July 5th, 2008 at 07:43am
  • gleek

    gleek (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I have a friend who cut herself and it was a nightmare. An absolute nightmare. A lot of people who haven't experienced it firsthand (and that number is decreasing) don't realize how serious and painful it is, not only for the person doing the cutting but for everyone who cares about them. And yes- it's a very addicting habit. Thank goodness, by some miracle of god my friend managed to stop and hasn't cut since.

    It's a problem that deserves less ridicule and more attention. Good article.
    July 4th, 2008 at 01:48am
  • tyler joseph.

    tyler joseph. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Too many people think that cutting is just a trend, and that EVERY person who self-injur are doing it for attention, that's what pisses me off the most. >:[ Self-injury (not just cutting) is a serious problem, and it is addicting, I know from personal experience. Although, not everybody will cut on just their arms. A person can cut anywhere. But don't get me wrong, it was a good article. It hit home for me. I'm still struggling with self-injury. Anybody who cuts or hurts themselves needs to get help, because it's horrible keeping something like that a secret.
    July 3rd, 2008 at 05:35am
  • Darkness.Falls.

    Darkness.Falls. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I'm a self injurer myself and as far as the addiction goes it is unbelievably hard to stop. Constructive critisicm is great on the grammatical mistakes and such on articles but seriously Cutting.Is.My.Lover, there is no need to slam the people with real problems.
    July 2nd, 2008 at 06:59pm
  • crappyloveballad

    crappyloveballad (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I never cut, but I used to due other things on the same line...I would shove myself against walls, and chop off my hair, or bite/pinvh/slap myself.
    I find that the true meaning of cutting is where something hurts more than what your feeling.
    But then, when I would shove myself into wall and stuff, it was because you could almost feel all the crap going on releasing from the cut, or in my case, the bruise.
    It gives you this almost...weightless feeling, like you've dropped al load of crap off, but one it stops hurting, that crap just jumps back on.,...
    July 2nd, 2008 at 02:28pm
  • Jessie in Calalini

    Jessie in Calalini (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Canada
    The people who cut themselves and then tell family and friends they did it are doing it as a fashion statement. Those who hide it, thats the problem.
    June 30th, 2008 at 08:16pm
  • Hair Brush

    Hair Brush (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I think it was a good article to be honest, but people experiance cutting in different ways, that's why it may seem like people are having a go.
    June 29th, 2008 at 07:54pm
  • hengstin.

    hengstin. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i used to wear long sleeves in the middle of july, when it would be ninety-odd degrees, i dont like getting changed in front of people, and so i wonder what people thought of me.... i dont cut; in fact, im afraid of blood. for anyone who has cut but stopped, you may have just saved your life. one of my friends told me that she would put cuts on her legs, and i got worried. shes stopped, but think about if you have a friend who wont stop. terrible things could happen.
    June 29th, 2008 at 06:51pm
  • Squirrely.Kassi

    Squirrely.Kassi (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I think there's a big difference between cutting because of psychological issues and cutting for attention... The one's cutting for attention wear the short sleeves, the one's cutting because they have a problem hide it... That's how I distinguish the two... -kassi
    June 27th, 2008 at 12:11am
  • nimrodidiot

    nimrodidiot (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    To Cutting.Is.My.Lover:

    I understand your anger, but it's unnessecary to swear. This article took a lot of hard work, and if you don't have any constructive criticism to give, I'd suggest you keep it to yourself.
    June 25th, 2008 at 09:15pm
  • Penguin.

    Penguin. (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    It's scary how much reasearch you must have done into this, not because it's a bad thing, it's just because it's all so true. I know what it's like to feel addicted to it, and hounestly, sometimes it's hard not to, it can take over your life.
    My frend saw some of the cuts when I was getting changed after PE and talked to me and after a few weeks managed to convince me to tell my parents. I probably owe her my life right now, cause the situation I was in got worse, but thanks to some-one knowing, it was easier to speak cause I knew I could do it in cofidence.
    I know I didn't stop cutting straight away, it still took time, but I think your message at the end to help people should be said more than just at concerts and on the internet, i think more people should hear it, and maybe it'll save even more lifes.
    June 25th, 2008 at 07:27pm
  • Catastrophic Failure

    Catastrophic Failure (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    The whole time I read this article I was shaking. You've seemed to have done your research about the topic. I linked this article to a few people I know and one broke down crying after he read it. It hit home for him and it hit him pretty badly. Hes the type of person who doesn't cry about anything and for your article to make him cry means you did a very good job explaining it all.
    June 25th, 2008 at 01:11am
  • tinycars

    tinycars (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    It's quite frustrating that this article, which could have been informative and enlightening about self-injury in general, rather enforced the myths. In addition, it was riddled with grammatical errors and run-on sentences that only further proved your ignorance of the topic. I would suggest you rewrite this article.
    June 24th, 2008 at 05:56pm
  • Silly_Girl

    Silly_Girl (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I liked this article. I think it was massivly true. I personally know a lot on the subject and this is the first article I've seen that actually explained a lot of things other articles have not. And I am not saying a lot on the subject because I self-mutilate myself, but I do a lot of reading and I've been to a shrink or two. :] Personally, I think a shrink is a wonderful way to handle problems. :] I've improved loads on myself since I started seeing my new one. If anyone is feeling down or self-harming than I suggest talking about it to someone and seeing someone about it. I know that some people do not have the money; we don't either. We're on a payment thing with the person I see. :] I imagine it can't be easy telling someone, I've never had to tell someone so I can't [i]know[/i] it's hard, but I can't imagine it being easy. But if you try maybe things will get better.
    Good article, no less.
    June 24th, 2008 at 05:26pm
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This article was alright. Tere were quite a few erros, though.
    June 23rd, 2008 at 09:59pm
  • sh3lb7

    sh3lb7 (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Look i know that some of you readers think this article is bull, but for you that are calling me 'stupid' (wich i know i am, i dont need you telling me) the only reason i wrote this article was because i needed help. im sorry if i offended you, but i really didnt think anyone would read it.
    I do cut, yes but that article was for me. And yes i looked for info but those are my own words it's not your problem that i can think of what to write (no offence)
    June 23rd, 2008 at 08:22pm
  • LiL_McR_FaN

    LiL_McR_FaN (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    The people in the cutting circles were awful. That scared me. But people who do have cuts they hide away are the ones who deserve the help and sympathy.
    June 23rd, 2008 at 05:09pm
  • Ziggy Stardust

    Ziggy Stardust (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I have my opinion on this opic so pleaseeee don't get jumpy on me.

    I think people who cut in places where it's kept secret and away from attention and those who are truly in pain don't deserve the title 'emo'.

    The one's who do little 'cutting circles' (another article) are the ones that annoy me.
    June 21st, 2008 at 09:49pm