Symptoms of Dyslexia - Comments

  • lions

    lions (265)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Luxembourg
    Go Laura!
    November 14th, 2009 at 04:44am
  • Lalonde.

    Lalonde. (125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    80
    Location:
    Australia
    A boy I know has a form of dyslexia. He spells the words correctly, but he writes them backwards. Every single word. I don't just mean writing 'woc' instead of 'cow', but the actual letters facing the wrong way.
    November 9th, 2009 at 10:42am
  • watchthesunset20

    watchthesunset20 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Sweden
    I might be dyslexic, i don't know but i have problem's reading.
    like in english class when we all take turns reading, i keep jumping words sometimes and when the text says (for exmaple) "he looked around"...i would say "he milked the sound" -- its like WHERE THE FUCK DID THAT COME FROM.
    or sometimes i feel like the words come of the page :(
    And my teacher knows i have porblems reading, but she keeps choosing me to read for the class. D:
    October 16th, 2009 at 09:13pm
  • Just...Aaron

    Just...Aaron (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I'm dyslexic I have to think about everything before I type it

    and a lot of the time I mix up me and my...I've learned to deal with it and everything

    I think we should get a special ribbon like breast cancer and gay rights...I votre green
    September 29th, 2009 at 02:20am
  • Extrovert.

    Extrovert. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This is very, very informative. I was just talking about this earlier.
    September 16th, 2009 at 02:56am
  • Nacho Lover.

    Nacho Lover. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    Montenegro
    i'm pretty much dyslexic, but with the excption of the fact i can read like anything, but that is only after years in reading recovery.
    school sucked for me, luckly my school was a big help, and i had someone to write my exams for me, i just told them what to write, without it, im sure i wouldnt have passed high school, and now in uni i use a laptop for all my writing.
    my spelling and writing are that of an 8 year old, and I'm 18

    but yeah, it dosnt make us dumb, just more creative.
    September 16th, 2009 at 02:55am
  • Dale Cooper

    Dale Cooper (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    There seems to be this large misconception about dyslexia these days, everyone is always slapping on symptoms that are in no way associated with the disorder and it gets rather annoying. I myself am dyslexic and constantly I hear people saying “Oh, I must be dyslexic” or they will start having class discussions and act like they know it all trying to say all these things that don’t even happen. Honestly, it’s aggravating just to hear these people trying to teach me about something that I have whilst I sit knowing that none of the symptoms they are listing are even related to Dyslexia.

    These symptoms you’ve listed are indeed accurate, however, it’s important for people to understand that dyslexia is a large umbrella and the symptoms do not apply to everyone. For example, I am an excellent reader and I have always managed to exceed the average reading levels for students that were around my age. Also I happened to be a very fast writer, however, my writing is so sloppy that usually I can’t even read it. But if I slow down my pace a bit I am able to pull off very neat handwriting. I’ve always had problems with confusing words, such as the word’s “worm” and “warm” or “magician” and “musician”, I often times struggled with the pronunciations and was not able to tell which word meant what.

    Another common symptom is getting letters backwards, up until about 7th grade I would write things such as “adoubt” instead of “about” or “finbing” instead of “finding”. Eventually my educational psychologist taught me a trick in which I would hold out both my hands connecting my thumb with my index finger on each hand while leaving my other fingers straight, this action would mock the shape of B’s and D’s. I would then move my left and say “bad” then move my right and say “dog” this helped me remember which way the D went and which way the B went. I grew out of the habit of reversing the letters, but every once in a while I still manage to mix them up.

    Math has always been a huge obstacle for me, my mind simply doesn’t interpret things correctly and with the common trait of taking numbers such as “1981” and thinking is says “1891” makes it all the more confusing. It’s difficult for me to figure out where exactly someone pulled a number from in order to plug it into an equation. Not to mention, basic math is something that I lack in the most. If you ask me what seven plus four is I will not be able to instantly answer like most people. I would have to add up the numbers in my head or count them on my fingers, however, slightly more complex problems such as algebra are much easier to do. Still, I constantly find myself counting up numbers on my fingers, which leads to another thing associated with dyslexia: OCD. I’ve formed obsessive traits where I have to count something on my fingers four times just to be positive that I hadn’t counted incorrectly, especially when it comes to subtraction problems.

    One of my dyslexic traits as that I have trouble counting backwards at times and every single time I skip the number 12 if I’m not reminding myself not to skip it. Counting backwards is simple until is comes to certain parts of each number group. Every time I come to a number ending in one I have to actually think about what the next numbers would be. For example “91, 90, 89”, the whole switching from “90’s” to “80’s” is a difficult transition to make and I actually have to concentrate and think on it for a second or two before I can continue with a quick pace.

    Colors and patterns also play a large role in dyslexia. If print is on certain colors of paper I am unable to read the writing and it appear jumbled as if it were shaking and bouncing side to side on the line. One could relate the motions to things such as the little mind trick in which a person will look at a design made of thin, oddly arranged black and white curvy lines. There will be the illusion that the lines are continuously moving because the brain is unable to interpret the image and is struggling to understand it. This is similar to what the letters will appear to be doing.

    Fortunately, with time, dyslexia’s symptoms fade to something less complex, but the disorder never actually goes away.

    Thank you for writing this, very well written (:
    September 16th, 2009 at 02:12am
  • B movie scream queen

    B movie scream queen (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    New Zealand
    my liitle brother is dyslexic and had to be home schoold new zeland has only just had its listed as an actual learning problem which is quite sad

    iv had to watch my brother be teased and picked on becasue he cant spell or do maths or read properly he's almost 17 and he's at the learning age level of a 11- 12 year old but put him in the kitchen and he can cook the most amazing meals, he can fix anything that breaks but schhol work is hell for him

    he spent most of primary school being told by students and teachers he was stupid and dumb and wasnt trying which is heart breaking to see because he is such a lovely person , my mum had to re-teach him basic maths such as 2+ 3= 5 and so on.

    it just shows how horriable people can be when they dont understand something , and just because you cant see it doesnt mean it isnt there
    September 16th, 2009 at 01:50am
  • LeleDisco

    LeleDisco (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I heard Dyselxics can't skip.
    September 16th, 2009 at 01:32am
  • SapphireStar

    SapphireStar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    a friend of mine has dyslexia so i help her with her homework
    September 16th, 2009 at 12:54am
  • kusterbeck-

    kusterbeck- (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    My step-dad is dyslexic.
    Sometimes my mom and I have to spell things for him when he asks how to spell a word.
    Sometimes I feel a little dyslexic haha XD
    September 16th, 2009 at 12:20am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    My great uncle is dyslexic, but he's absoultely brilliant with mechanics. :]
    September 15th, 2009 at 11:48pm
  • BrokenStar

    BrokenStar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'm dyslexic, and I went through my entire school life without diagnosis. I failed most my GCSEs, then when I went to college, I was sent for an assessment within a month. I think a lot more attention should be paid to this condition in schools, children should probably assessed as soon as possible.
    September 15th, 2009 at 11:04pm
  • Dream of Sunshine

    Dream of Sunshine (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I'm dyslexic. I'm not a bad reader now but was the last one to start reading in my grade, I had to take special classes. I still can't tell B's and D's apart sometimes and if someone tells me to go right I go left. There are very few people who can read my hand writing, my mom is always get on my about it=) It's not really that big of a deal, all it means is that when I take my drivers test I'm gonna have to wear a bracelet or something so I don't crash cause I turned the wrong way hahah.
    September 15th, 2009 at 07:32pm
  • Your.Pink.Diary

    Your.Pink.Diary (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    My friend has dyslexia. She has special glasses (they're purple) that help fix it, but never wears them, because it's not that bad... well and she hates wearing them because people always ask why she's wearing sunglasses inside, even though they're not sunglasses.

    I think cases vary. I'm not sure, I don't know know all that much about it.

    Anyway this article could have been better if you'd gone more in depth and had quotes and information from sources (ie, medical websites, etc). So try and remember that for next time, research is your friend, the more you do the better. The more informed you are the better you can explain things in an article like this. Otherwise, good work.
    September 15th, 2009 at 09:38am
  • arwen undomiel

    arwen undomiel (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    My friend keeps saying she's dyslexic but the only one of the symptoms she has is bad spelling. Maybe she's just bad at spelling? She's not been to get tested or anything, she just says she is.
    September 15th, 2009 at 09:01am
  • chrissie.

    chrissie. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    A dyslexic person wouldn't be able to read this. x]
    Joking.
    September 15th, 2009 at 08:44am