Distorted Beauty: Recognition of Eating Disorders as Real and Treatable Cases - Comments

  • holli.sullivan.sykes

    holli.sullivan.sykes (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This is a great article!
    September 14th, 2012 at 05:24pm
  • Aris.

    Aris. (375)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    EDNOS is actually quite a big category for ED's but I guess most people seem to miss it out.

    Both of these disorders share commonalities: a desire for control I think you shouldn't specify that exactly, as you have a whole section dedicated to 'causes' and there are more than a few cases where a desire for control isn't a driving force and it kind of made me doubt the own reality of my previous ED for a split second, try re-wording to specify control is only a 'common' factor and not a must.

    I also noticed this article was solely focused on females. While they're are the majority, an estimated 5-15 percent of people with anorexia or bulimia, and 35 percent of those with binge-eating disorder are males. They suffer more than females suffering because society thinks 'boys can't get ED's' and I'm afraid this article could be very off-putting a male anorexic/bulimic.

    However, this was extremely well written, informative and researched to a fine point. Very well done, I must say.
    September 10th, 2012 at 07:58pm
  • INACTIVExx

    INACTIVExx (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I have to say that this article is wonderful! I like the aspects you touched and it is all so professional (without being boring) and you included a lot of helpful and good info here. Also, the references are great ( I mean, the fact that you included them). It all just seemed more sustainable with that. (: in a nut shell, this is great!!
    September 10th, 2012 at 06:29pm
  • Christelline

    Christelline (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I love the depth you reached in this. You fully explored the major points involved in both types of disorders. While it is true that they have an extreme effect on the patient, you acknowledged how difficult it can be for those around them. I hope that anyone who comes into contact with either Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa reads your article and understands what really goes on with these disorders.
    September 10th, 2012 at 04:01pm
  • recounts

    recounts (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Really, really sad to watch someone deteriorate so much with an eating disorder and to be so unable to actually help them. :(
    September 10th, 2012 at 02:53pm