The Olympians: Gods Of The Greek

The Olympians: Gods Of The Greek

The Titan-God War

Everything started when a prophecy led Kronos, a Titan, into devouring and ingesting his children the Gods - his children, who later were known as Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, Hera, Demeter, and Hestia. Their mother, Rhea, another Titan, saved one of them and instead, Kronos was given a pile of rocks draped in clothing to swallow. Baby Zeus was taken to a cave in Crete. Once he was fully grown, he made a potion and tricked Kronos into drinking it, which made him spew out Zeus’s brothers and sisters, who over the years have grown inside Kronos’s body. Then, Zeus freed all of the Cyclopes and Hekatonkheires, or “Hundred-Handed Ones” that were imprisoned by the Titans. As a gift, Zeus received a deadly weapon, the Lightning bolt. Led by Zeus, his brothers and sisters, the Cyclopes, and the Hekatonkheires fought the Titans. Gods and Titans clashed in savage war. The time then came when Kronos was defeated. Using his own father’s scythe, Zeus slashed him to bits. Along with Kronos, the Titans and their allies were imprisoned in the pits of Tartarus, the deepest and darkest part of the Underworld. Zeus’s victory went on to start a great civilization.

The Olympians

The twelve Olympians include Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Hepheastus, Hermes, Ares, Aphrodite, and Dionysus. In some of the myths, Hades and Hestia are counted as one of them. These Gods control nature and social forces that are worshiped by many people in Ancient Greece.

Hera, Zeus’s wife, was the Goddess of Women and Marriage; her symbols are the Peacock, and the motherly Cow. Demeter was the Goddess of Agriculture; her symbol is a Stalk of Wheat. Athena was the Goddess of Wisdom and Crafts; her symbol is the Owl. Apollo was the God of the Sun, Healing, Music, Poetry, Archery, and Truth; his symbols are the Mouse, and the Lyre. Artemis, the twin sister of Apollo, was the Goddess of the Moon, Maidens, and the Hunt; her symbol is a female bear. Hephaestus, the blacksmith of the Gods, was the God of Forges; his symbols are the Hammer, the Anvil, and the Quail.

Hermes, the messenger of the Gods, was the God of Commerce, Speed, Thieves, and Travelers; his symbols are the Caduceus, a pair of Winged-sandals, and a Winged-helm. Ares was the God of War, Hatred, Bloodshed, and Frenzy; his symbols are the Wild Boar and a bloody spear. Aphrodite was the Goddess of Beauty and Love; her symbols are the Dove and the Swan. Dionysus was the God of Wine; his symbols are the Tiger and the Grapes. Hestia was the Goddess of the Hearth, Home, and Family; her symbols are the Fire and the Crane.

The Three Elder Gods

The eldest and most influential Gods of the twelve Olympians are these guys. They play really big roles in controlling the world and its three parts: the Sky, the Ocean, and the Underworld. They are:

Zeus

If you are fascinated by thunderstorms and the sky, Zeus is the Greek God for you. Zeus was the most powerful God of all. He led his brothers and sisters against the war of the Titans. This made him the ruler of Mount Olympus and the Olympians. After their victory, he won the sky after drawing lots with his two brothers. He was the Lord of the sky, God of Thunder, and God of Justice. “Zeus is a really good God. He took care of his people after fighting the Titans and saving his brothers and sisters. He’s also the God of Justice and settles all problems of Olympus fairly,” Vera Fujimoto, a sixth grade Social Studies teacher, said when asked what she thought about the Sky God. Zeus’s many symbols are the thunderbolt, the eagle, and the oak tree. Zeus was armed with thunderbolts and a shield which every time he shakes, thunderstorms ravage among mankind.

Poseidon

If you think ruling the U.S. Nation is a pretty big job, try ruling the entire body of water in the world, because that’s Poseidon’s job. Poseidon was Zeus’s brother who was swallowed by Kronos during birth and was the next most powerful God. After their victory, he won the sea from his two brothers. He was the God of the Sea and the God of Earthquakes. “Poseidon is really important because he makes a balance in nature. When he’s in a good mood, he creates calm seas and safety for voyagers. When he’s in a bad mood, he sends earthquakes among men,” said Fujimoto when asked what she thought about Poseidon. Poseidon was armed with the Trident, a three-forked spear. His symbols are the Trident and the horse.

Hades

Do you ever wonder why living things are afraid of the dark? That’s because Hades, the Lord of the Dead, rules over the darkness of the Underworld, the deepest and darkest part of the world where the dead dwell. Hades was not really an Olympian, but he was one of Zeus’s brothers who were swallowed by Kronos after birth. He lives in the Underworld, the third and last piece of the world, not in Mount Olympus. He was the God of the Dead, God of the Underworld, and human wealth. “Hades provides a balance in life. He provides shelter for the dead and lost souls in the Underworld. I don’t want to live forever and without Hades, I would never die.” Fujimoto said when asked what she thought about the Lord of the Dead. Hades was armed with the Helm of Darkness, which turns him invisible and strikes fear to anyone every time he wears it. His symbols are the Helm of Darkness, metals, and jewels.

For me, all the Olympians play an important part in keeping the world together. Without one of them, this whole place would fall apart. So, for you, Zeus, Poseidon or Hades, who’s the strongest Elder God? With Zeus’s thunderbolts and the Sky on his side; Poseidon’s trident and the Ocean on his side; Hades has the Underworld on his side and the frightening and terrifying Helm of Darkness. I say if you put them in a fight, it would go on for eons and eons to come!

Latest articles