The Holocaust

The Holocaust There have been many wars, civil and worldwide over the years, the Holocaust being a large one. A week or two ago a survivor of this situation visited my school. At first I was selfish, I could only think of how I wanted to go back to class and get ready for my upcoming exams. When I saw her however, my heart fell to the floor for this woman. What had happened to her were years and years ago, those ugly scars still had not faded. I think it was the first time when there was an entire school assembly of fifteen hundred kids that you could have heard a penny drop. She cried the entire time, with every word at least ten tears must have dropped, and I was in awe of her bravery.

This brave woman talked of the torture; she showed us pictures of what went on. She told the school that one day they were told they were getting a surprise meal, a good one for once, and the surprise was finding the bones and flesh and organs of the people who had died the day before. She told us of how useful twins were to them, she said that she even felt bad for them while things were still happening to her. They found the twins so useful because they could practice medicine on them; they were the same after all. How’d they practice medicine? They took an eye from each and switched them. They put them on different diets, stole a leg and sewed it to the other. Every prisoner was bald they used the hair back in Germany for supplies. This was the best of times. I already felt this woman’s pain, there was no need to go on. She ended up crying so much she had to leave. At the cause of this is one word, hate. Germans hated their religion and so they tortured them.

Imagine sitting there and watching your friends be tortured having to eat them for breakfast, having nowhere to sleep. This woman, this survivor has touched me so deeply and I have promised myself that I will be a better person. I use to laugh when people told me hate was a strong word, I thought it was hilarious; I didn’t realize what the words history was.

This word now out ranks any word known to have a bad meaning in the English language to me, and if I can help it, I will try to never say it again.

Latest articles