Did Race Really Matter? A look into the Guilded Age Worker. - Comments

  • Ayana Sioux

    Ayana Sioux (1175)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I have to agree with Audrey T. You did miss some very important factors. Many African American's couldn't get jobs during that period and they weren't treated near equal at all. So in that case, yes, race does matter.
    September 19th, 2010 at 06:49pm
  • BlUeJaY330

    BlUeJaY330 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Sorry but either way you put it African-Americans were still treated far more worse than Whites.
    June 29th, 2010 at 02:52am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Very important factors you didn't include was the stigma that came with being an African American, non-legal discrimination against African-Americans, almost complete lack of formal education most African-Americans of the time suffered from (though the working class people of that time may not have had higher education, many of them had at least gone through some years of formal education), and also the general distaste and distrust many employers felt for recently freed African-Americans in this country at that period.

    Surely, there were some similarities when it came to trouble in the work force, but I certainly don't think the two groups were anywhere near equal in their plight.
    June 29th, 2010 at 02:03am