The History Of Vampires - Comments

  • furnituregirlthe1st

    furnituregirlthe1st (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    New Zealand
    This is really informative. A few things are wrong, but for my book I can always research the genuine websites.
    August 23rd, 2011 at 11:18am
  • Thelovelostbecka

    Thelovelostbecka (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    wow...needed to know this. a great article,
    May 4th, 2011 at 08:00am
  • ComposingHallelujah

    ComposingHallelujah (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    OH MY GOSH! It's Lestat! I'm going to go read the article now.
    February 10th, 2011 at 12:38am
  • whatsmyusername?

    whatsmyusername? (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    I was reading Isaiah 34:14, and it says NOTHING about Lilth.

    Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Isaiah 34:14 says,"Desert creatureswill meet with hyena's, and wild goatswill bleat with eachother; and find for theselves place of rest."

    What's that got to do with Adam and Eve and Lilth?
    November 7th, 2010 at 08:13pm
  • Halloween_reject

    Halloween_reject (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Dead Heartache is right and double check your Egyptian mythology too cause I'm a mythology nerd for most myth and something seemed wrong with the myth about Set overthrowing his brother using an army. You could have also talked a little more on the history of vampires including Vladimir Dracul III and Elizabeth Báthory who were thought to be vampires too cause of what they did to people. Either way I loved your article even if I criticized a lot.
    November 4th, 2010 at 05:44pm
  • dead heartache;;

    dead heartache;; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    This was really goo,d but maybe get up on your Greek Mythology nerd.
    It kinda bothered me, because Greek mythology is my best subject, and you some things wrong.

    But overall, this article was really good.
    October 19th, 2010 at 02:51am
  • reader11224

    reader11224 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    You really made me think.
    October 18th, 2010 at 11:50pm
  • EarthParadise082397

    EarthParadise082397 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Sorry to break it to you but I got a question.Vampire need blood and have super sense, right? Woman all over the wold have their birthday gift once a month.....So, wouldn't vampires be sucking people blood in the middle of New York time square.You did your research, good job! : D
    Phoney
    September 4th, 2010 at 04:13pm
  • xXGreyWingsXx

    xXGreyWingsXx (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I don't think the issue is really whether we can list everyone single member of the Greek Gods Association...
    August 11th, 2010 at 04:40pm
  • Sporkette;

    Sporkette; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    v You forgot Hestia; the third sister.
    August 11th, 2010 at 01:24am
  • Aly Jones

    Aly Jones (205)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    United States
    You forgot about Zeus' mother, Rhea. She hid Zeus from Cronus (that is actually how you spell it correctly.) And Zeus had (at least) two sisters: Hera and Demeter.

    Sorry, but I hate whenever people talk about mythology like that and then miss parts or something. My mom bought me this [i]giant[/i] book on [b]Mythology Around The World[/b] because of my recent obsession.
    August 11th, 2010 at 12:39am
  • peacelove4ever

    peacelove4ever (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This is very interesting. I loved reading it. I love vampires and trying to look into mythical areas of life. I think this is amazing and it showed me things that I didn't know.
    August 10th, 2010 at 09:16pm
  • TheCoreysGirl

    TheCoreysGirl (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Cool info! I like vampires myself, especially in fanfiction, where you can make up your own rules for vampires and change them if you want to. :) Very well-written article, too! :)
    August 10th, 2010 at 12:22pm
  • Sporkette;

    Sporkette; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    @xXGreyWingsXx, I love you. @_@ Points 2 and 3 I were going to include but I didn't want to go overboard with it. xo
    August 9th, 2010 at 09:12pm
  • xXGreyWingsXx

    xXGreyWingsXx (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Urgh, it's still misposting. It missed off this last bit:

    Regardless of the historical reliability, your writing is fluent and your argument well set out, so well done on that score. It was an interesting read, and it certainly set me to looking into the myths further.
    August 9th, 2010 at 09:09pm
  • xXGreyWingsXx

    xXGreyWingsXx (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Ah, now it does... I've tried to post my comment three times now.

    1) Lilith appears far more predominantly in Ancient Babylonian and Assyrian myth than she does in the Bible, so it probably would have been a better idea to focus on that aspect of her demonology than on the now manipulated biblical tradtion of her character.

    2) I can find no basis for your claim that Osiris and Set were Vampires. A better reference in Ancient Egyptian mythology would have been the goddess Sekhmet, who drank blood.

    3) I find it surprising that you fail to mention the Empusae, Lamia or Strige, all Greek myths far more related to vampiric demons than Circe or Hades.

    4) Romulus and Remus were brought up by wolves, but legend never claims that they had shapeshifting abilities which could make them werewolves. Plus, this article is about vampirism, so this fact is defunct anyway.

    5) The most historically accurate part of the article is the last bit on European folklore, so it's a shame that this is also the least explored part.

    In conclusion, you may wish to explore some more sources, as whatever source material you used for this article seems to relate more to modern interpretation of the ancient myths, which is the very thing (I believe) you set out to banish.
    August 9th, 2010 at 09:08pm
  • Sporkette;

    Sporkette; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    (Last comment, swear!)
    "But I would like to see your resources because I do have some other doubts."
    "...not that I doubt you..."

    Shame on my part; I [i]do[/i] doubt you. It's nothing personal, I'd just rather be informed that my knowledge is false by a reliable resource. And the reason I even went on my entire tangent was because I did a speech on vampires, going through their ancient history and the like.
    August 9th, 2010 at 05:34pm
  • Sporkette;

    Sporkette; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Oh yes, Yackshini is the Indian Circe and she would be a more prominent example over Circe herself, because they are still two different characters. Yackshini transformed men with the use of a flute; Circe created potions that were placed in the meals the men would eat, causing them to turn into mostly, but not always, swine.
    August 9th, 2010 at 05:29pm
  • Sporkette;

    Sporkette; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    "Cronus was the Titan God of time and ages."
    Sorry, to correct you on such a trivial thing (and if I'm wrong, please state your resource) but that was Chronos/Chronus (like chronicle). Cronus/Kronus wasn't particularly a god of anything, and if so, of harvest really. /Total Greek Mythology Nerd

    Other than that, it was a great article. But I would like to see your resources because I do have some other doubts. For example, Circe of Greek mythology only turned men into animals but rarely ate them. While I don't know of a Circe of Indian lore, that is Indian lore when you were talking Greek mythology, and they could easily be two different Circe's.

    In addition, while Lilith still falls under the category of vampires, this name wasn't given to her until roughly 700 B.C. in Ancient Israel. A far more accurate and older figure, Lilitu was named as far back as 4000 B.C. in the times of the Babylonians, or even further back, the Mesopotamians.

    Anyways, I'd still like to see your resources, not that I doubt you, but because I love mythology in every way possible and would prefer to correct myself as well as broaden my horizons.

    Anyways, the article was lovely and very well written. :)
    August 9th, 2010 at 05:25pm
  • Sundance Kid.

    Sundance Kid. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    This was an amazing article, I learned a lot without being bored to death. Awesome job :)
    August 9th, 2010 at 02:58pm