Harry Potter and the Nazi Regime - Comments

  • contrary to ordinary

    contrary to ordinary (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Spain
    Very interesting article.
    April 19th, 2011 at 06:12pm
  • ComposingHallelujah

    ComposingHallelujah (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    This was indeed very very interesting. And Voldemort looks like Hitler in that picture. Once again, very VERY interesting.
    February 10th, 2011 at 12:51am
  • auden

    auden (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    This is an interesting article. However, you didn't flow from Voldemort to Hitler or Hitler to Voldemort very well.
    You should also include information to back up the claim about the debated topic of Jewish blood in Hilters background. I have never heard of this claim, and therefore don't really understand.

    "Lastly, the symbols used to identify the Death Eaters and Nazis both came from peaceful origin, but were modified to be feared by all who recognized them."

    Really? I didn't know that a skull with a snake going in and out the eyes and mouth was originally a peaceful symbol. . . . I understand you explain that Voldly got the Snake from his house, but Slytherins aren't exactly peaceful like Buddhists mate.

    This was an interesting read.
    January 11th, 2011 at 06:43pm
  • Halloween_reject

    Halloween_reject (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    No matter where I am, something about WWII always comes up. In current events or something else. Somehow or another there is always someone who can compare WWII to something. I may sound like a hypocrite cause I do it too sometimes but with different events in history. I like your article though, well written and a great comparison. I do have to agree Mintcat also. The blond, blue eyes is a stereo-type for Hitler's army.
    November 4th, 2010 at 05:30pm
  • MintCat

    MintCat (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Germany
    Well written article I have to admit. I have read about this before and J.K: Rolwing said she had taken some ideas from WWII so this comparison is not exactly surprising. But I couldn't help and notice some minor mistakes or rather inaccuracies.

    First of all as you said "Hitler received two Iron Crosses, one for his braver and another for serving his adoptive country." The second may very well be true, though I have never heard of it (I don't want to sound cocky or anything, but as a German I hear a lot about WWII we are nearly daily confronted with the topic an in history calss we have endless semesters of talking about every single detail of WWII as well as we watch movies dealing with the topic. It's quite anoying after a while.) The first Iron Cross, however, hardly can come from his "bravery" as he was simply a soldier with good luck, managing to get a message from the frontline to the leaders. He was actually injured and feared he would lose his sight, but didn't.
    Furthermore I would not say Hitler had "gread leadership skills" but he rather was ale to convince post-WWI Germany of his believes, because we needed a scape goat. And he actually pledged to loosen up the Treaty of Versailles (at least at first) which was utterly disastisfying for the Germans.

    Secondly, Hitler's army didn't simply consist "of men who fit his perfect mold: blond hair , blue eyed with fully Aryan blood." Or at least what you seem to refer to with "army" doesn't. For soldiers he picked those Germans which could present a "blood-line" which did not have any Jews in it for three generations. They weren't necessarily blond, nor did they necessarily have blue eyes. It was just the most ideal form of an Aryan, which was hardly represented in the majority of Germans. (If he had relied simply on outer "Aryian appearance" he wouldn't have had so many soldiers.)

    Then again with the blood-line. I have never heard of Hitler being "tainted" by jewish blood, though he didn't look all too aryan himself with brown hair and brown eyes. But his seemingly "tainted" blood is not the reason, or at least not the only reason he came to despise the Jews. It was quite common to that time in Germany. After the Treaty of Versailles which had torn many rights from our country, Jews were the ones in the banks, the one controlling the money (which today they still do) and Germans were searching for a scape-goat. So why not take those who are wealthy and better off, the ones one is jealous off. Therefore I think Hiter was more influenced by general racistic talk rather than his own blood-line.

    But though my criticism seems a bti long, I do agree with your comparison and I stick with what I said at the beginning.
    October 31st, 2010 at 02:45pm
  • RushiChan

    RushiChan (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    26
    Location:
    Australia
    An excellent comparison between literature and history. A great article to read and take in
    October 26th, 2010 at 03:17am
  • fat lamb

    fat lamb (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    Highly amusing. Good article.
    October 24th, 2010 at 05:53pm
  • j11112222

    j11112222 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    my best fran and i were reading this during our school spare and we're just like "yep, yep. hey thats awesome. -laughs-".
    October 23rd, 2010 at 05:33pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Mrytle died just because she was in the bathroom when Tom Riddle/Voldermort opened the Chamber of Secrets, her not being pure-blood had absolutely nothing to do with it. Though during Voldermort's reign/occupation he set up the Muggle-born Registry (or something along those lines), it was just one of his tools of control, racial discrimination itself wasn't a huge point of his "ideological programme" for various reasons. For once, his creed is "there is no good or evil: only power and those too weak to seek it" - which suggests power/willingness to go against everything and everything to obtain power is in his eyes the most important virtue somebody can have. His attitude towards Muggle-borns and half-bloods is very similar to Slytherin's - although they both thought pure-bloods were "superior" that didn't stop them from associating themselves (i.e. allowing non-pure-bloods to join their house) with Muggle-borns and half-bloods if they're like-minded. Secondly, the Death Eaters are not so much Voldemort's supporters as his slaves/servants - unlike Hitler, he never needed to come up with a hugely appealing doctrine to get other people to vote for him/support him because he was already a very powerful wizard and everybody feared him. Thirdly, although it's obvious in the book that he hates his Muggle father and doesn't think much of Muggles in general, there's a big difference between not liking Muggles and Muggle-borns and devising a genocide. Voldemort didn't want to wipe out the entire race of Muggle-borns (if he wanted to why didn't he try to kill all Muggles and eliminate the opportunity of Muggle-borns ever existing?), he simply wanted to kill all wizards who opposed him and by setting up the Muggle Registry he found a good opportunity to get back at some of his old enemies by using the racial prejudice already present in the Magical world as an excuse (there are other characters that are more prejudiced against Muggle-borns and almost all wizards are prejudiced against Muggles, even the Weasleys and they're the good guys). The Nazism allegory is just too facile to work.
    October 18th, 2010 at 06:27pm
  • HelLoRosenberg

    HelLoRosenberg (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    @kafka no actually. Moaning Mrytle was never against him and he did kill her with the basilik. He also rounded up Muggle borns in the book with the help of the snatchers. The Snatchers bear a remarkable resemblance to the Nazi Gestapo and the Schutzstaffel, who rounded up Jews and others targeted by them before and during World War II. Plus Snape was always on Lily's side and voldemort probably only put the offer because of that.
    October 18th, 2010 at 12:45am
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    But Voldermort didn't want to kill off Muggle-borns, he simply wanted to kill anybody who was against him. He tried to convince Muggle-borns such as Lily Potter to join his cause.
    October 17th, 2010 at 09:33pm
  • Eimie

    Eimie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Ireland
    great article I agree when you were talking about purebloods there, how Adolf Hitler and Lord Voldemort are hyprotical in that sense
    October 17th, 2010 at 01:34pm
  • HelLoRosenberg

    HelLoRosenberg (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    CallusedSilk: Yes You have a point about the symbols. However my point was how it was represented now as the house of voldemort and not salazar slytherin. Before Voldemort it was just a house and nothing more, but after voldemort it lost it's true values such as being cunning and ambitious. Also I never mentioned both were killers from an early age but both had extreme self esteem issues, mainly dealing with blood. I'm comparing and contrasting, not saying Hitler and Voldemort are twins
    October 17th, 2010 at 05:15am
  • kiskis

    kiskis (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This article was really amazing! It was so interesting and pointed out something I hadnt thought of before! great job!!
    October 16th, 2010 at 12:50am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    @Kmart You can have prejudices and still not end up a killer without a push. I think it was a series of things over the first part of his life that turned him into a killer. Even some of the biggest bigots never kill. They may not have remorse when someone 'lesser' dies, but they don't always murder. Draco Malfoy also had a superiority complex from a very young age, and even joked about the murder of 'mudbloods', but when it came down to it, he was unable to actually go through with a murder. Beliefs and goals are two separate things.
    October 15th, 2010 at 07:23pm
  • Money Money

    Money Money (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Love Voldemort with the Hitler mustashe. There is a bit of a resemblance isn't there, lol.

    Good article.
    October 15th, 2010 at 03:14pm
  • Kmart.

    Kmart. (205)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    @CallusedSilk Hilter may not have killed from the beginning, but that doesn't mean he didn't have the mind of one from early on. Read Mein Kampf. It was, by far the hardest piece of literature I ever had to get through...and that's not counting Anna Karenina. :)
    Besides that, Hitler makes it blatantly obvious in Mein Kampf that his attitude of "superiority" to other, I suppose one could call it, was a trait he was born with, not something he picked up in later life. His life-long goal, above all others, was to prove that he was better than, not just Jews, but everyone. A goal which connects Tom and Hitler from a very early age.
    October 15th, 2010 at 08:45am
  • FuckNo

    FuckNo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I actually did enjoy this article, but I disagree with both symbols being from 'peaceful' origins. The swastika was a symbol of luck and peace for hindus, but the house of Slytherin was dirty long before Tom Riddle came there. Salazar Slytherin didn't want muggle borns at the school either, it's why he put the chamber in the school. On the same token, I don't remember reading that Hitler started out killing innocent people at a young age, while as Tom Riddle was a killer from the beginning. So while I do agree that once they both came to power, you can draw parallels between them and their groups, but I disagree about the childhood comparisons and the symbols.
    October 15th, 2010 at 03:15am
  • rathlora

    rathlora (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    j'adore Dumledore (O_o)
    October 14th, 2010 at 10:24pm
  • Hardly.Harley

    Hardly.Harley (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    A 96? What on earth did you get points off for? This article was amazing!
    October 14th, 2010 at 10:03pm