History of Jack O' Lanterns - Comments

  • Miss Tyranny

    Miss Tyranny (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    Love the article!
    November 6th, 2010 at 06:46pm
  • Halloween_reject

    Halloween_reject (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Your article is amazing! I carve pumpkins cause it's fun and I'm superstitious... so it stays outside until the true day of All Hallow's Eve is passed. Either way great article!
    November 4th, 2010 at 05:50pm
  • die Bienen Knie

    die Bienen Knie (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I carved a turnip last year for halloween because of this. tehe
    October 25th, 2010 at 04:41am
  • fat lamb

    fat lamb (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I already carved out my Jack O' Lantern for the year. Hehe.

    Very interesting article! I love learning the origins and legends of holidays and other things we do but don't remember the reason to.

    Well done!
    October 24th, 2010 at 05:46pm
  • rathlora

    rathlora (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    i think it's spelt 'Samhain' weird spelling, but still
    October 23rd, 2010 at 09:38am
  • Tlisia

    Tlisia (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'm sorry if this is a bit hyper-critical, but from a European perspective, this article is a little 'off'.
    Firstly, It's a wee bit harsh saying that no-one had heard of All Hallows' Eve before the Great Famine (1845-1852, by the way. I assume this is the one you meant as there were two other Irish famines in the century surrounding this one.) Certainly the Celtic races, and surely most European countries would have known about it. That's a significant population to discount as 'no one'. I take it you actually meant to say 'no one in America had even heard of it,' which is also hardly believable. They probably just didn't celebrate it as fully as they did later, considering the other immigrants that had made up the population from the 17th century.
    The tradition of souling is an medieval English one, which took place on All Hallows' Day, resembling closely the trick-or-treating of today. Soulers would be given 'soul cakes' representing a soul in purgatory when they approached houses. Every cake eaten was a soul freed to Heaven. They would carry carved turnip lanterns when they went souling, probably because they were too poor too afford a proper lantern.
    The carving of pumpkins, however, is in fact an American tradition to do with the harvest, that later adapted itself to Hallowe'en, possibly something to do with the influx of Irish immigrants, I'm not sure, as it was at the time of the mass immigration in the mid 19'th century, and a little later that the change occured.
    And, by the way, it's spelt 'Samhain' (pronounced sar-win). It's the first key celebration of the Celtic year, followed by Imbolc, Bealtaine and Lughnasadh.
    October 22nd, 2010 at 07:35pm
  • Halloween_reject

    Halloween_reject (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I loved it!!! I may know all that cause I love anything celtic and has a history that truly wasn't what it is now. Either way great job!!!
    October 22nd, 2010 at 01:24am
  • lottie2427

    lottie2427 (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    This was really interesting and well written! I love it and it makes me even for excited for Halloween then I already was! Thankyou! :)
    October 20th, 2010 at 10:15pm
  • Amethyst Violet

    Amethyst Violet (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    40
    Location:
    Canada
    Another thing why they use pumpkins is because when the Irish (it originated in Ireland) moved to the Americas after the potato famine, radishes weren't widely available, but pumpkins were so that's where that came from.
    October 20th, 2010 at 06:14pm
  • Cupcake :3

    Cupcake :3 (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I absolutely loved this article. :)
    October 19th, 2010 at 11:32pm
  • dead heartache;;

    dead heartache;; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    Thanks for the information. This was really good.
    October 19th, 2010 at 02:48am
  • NEIN

    NEIN (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    hehehe makes me more excited to carve another pumpkin this month ^_^
    October 19th, 2010 at 01:55am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This was extremely interesting and well written. Good job! Nice choice of topic.
    October 18th, 2010 at 08:59pm
  • Shadow Spirit

    Shadow Spirit (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I don't usually read articles but the title of this one intrigued me. I was familiar with bits of the history already but your narrative style kept me reading anyway and it was worth it :) It's written really nicely and has a lot of perspective- it's nice to read something that tells a different side to halloween to what is typically believed :)
    October 18th, 2010 at 10:13am