Inspiration for Emancipation - Comments

  • bad habits

    bad habits (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    *Dru* From the research I did, it seemed to me like he did it for both political support (primary reason) but also he did it for personal, moral reason's as explained in the article.

    *stfumbrrella* Yes that is true but he also declared the slaves free in the North allowing them to be part of the military, which wasn't so good for the member's of the regiments were massacred at fort Pillow. However, the article really wasn't about what the effect of the proclamation was (rather minimal) but Lincoln's personal feelings towards slavery as an institution.
    July 1st, 2012 at 02:27am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    very well written. but i thought lincoln freed the slaves as a diversion tactic to create confusion during the civil war?
    June 28th, 2012 at 02:37pm
  • billet-doux

    billet-doux (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Well written except Lincoln didn't free the slaves. At all. By the time he released the Emancipation Proclamation, the South had declared themselves their own country and therefore didn't have to listen to the Union's president. Essentially it's like Canada telling the United States that we can't do something. Obviously we're not going to listen to them. Sorry, it's a pet-peeve of mine when people say Lincoln freed the slaves. Very good article though!
    June 28th, 2012 at 08:41am