The History of Rock n' Roll - Comments

  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ Sherlock_Holmes
    Awesome! Just a few suggestions that helped me: Berkeley in the Sixties and The Drug Years are good documentaries on the subject you might be able to find online. Sometimes VH1 shows reruns of the Drug Years. And if you're doing research for story, they both show a lot of original footage which might be inspiring.

    I'm not sure, it's definitely possible, especially the 60s. I wrote those awhile ago for a website I used to write about the Golden Years of Hollywood and vintage cinema. I never made it to the 1960s article, but perhaps now is a good time to finish it up =]
    August 27th, 2012 at 07:36pm
  • Sherlock_Holmes

    Sherlock_Holmes (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I found this really useful since I'm currently researching the hippie movement of the 60's for a story, so this was very imformative.

    Are you going to be doing an article on the 60's and 70's alone, like you did with the 20's-50-'s?
    August 27th, 2012 at 02:45pm
  • wx12

    wx12 (10125)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    @ Barrett
    Haha, it does seem like a bit of a crime that I mention Kid Rock and not Tom Petty or Bowie. I wrote this article a long time ago, and I was hoping I'd get feedback like yours now by posting it, so I can edit it and improve.

    I think at the time, I was trying to find a balance between giving credit where it was due, and avoiding making this nothing more than a big list of bands, but I think incorporating the bands you listed is just a matter of organization, and introducing them at the right stage of their career where they had the biggest impact.

    I'll definitely be taking your suggestions =] Thanks for such a constructive comment, I really appreciate it.
    August 27th, 2012 at 03:24am
  • tempest.

    tempest. (180)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This was a very well written and researched article. I was happily surprised, actually. Not because I doubted you as a writer (absolutely not!), but because when I read the title, I expected something quite bland and unthoughtful and brief.
    While I do feel that you did a fab job, I also think that you left out some very important acts in rock n roll. I didn't see Bowie, Dylan, The NY Dolls, Elton John, Queen, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Springsteen, etc mentioned. All represent very great parts and sub-genres of rock music. Though Dylan wasn't all what would or could be considered "classical rock" at all times, he created one of the largest and most fantastic moments in pop cultural history--let alone music--when he "suddenly" went "electric" playing Maggie's Farm live. It really did music as a whole wonders, including rock n roll and certainly gave an "I'm-Going-to-Do-What-I-Want-to" attitude. Especially once when someone in the crowd yelled "Judas!". Dylan turned to his band and said, "Play it fuckin' loud!"
    The Dolls were just as important in punk as The Ramones...and, even more so than The Pistols. They're actually commonly called the "first" punk group ever, though they deny it. They're fashion and cross-dressing and open sexuality was also huge in the 70's.
    Bowie, of course, changed the whole world by just being Bowie. If they was a Mount Rushmore of Rock N Roll, Bowie would be there. No doubt.
    Springsteen did "heartland" rock and really gave a voice to the working class. In a cool sense, so did the Heartbreakers in their own way.
    Good article, though.
    August 27th, 2012 at 03:10am