Religion-Consumerism? - Comments

  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    thank you.
    December 25th, 2008 at 02:28pm
  • Amaranth999

    Amaranth999 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    God. I think you people are all nuts. The author's opinion is THEIR OPINION. Do you really think anyone gives a shit if you disagree with it? All of you people speaking out against this article, how about you just write an article that argues with it? See if you can do that. If you can't make just as many points AGAINST what the author is saying as the amount of points the author has made FOR what they're saying, then SHUT UP. All of you. Really.
    December 21st, 2008 at 06:31pm
  • Ilanaria!

    Ilanaria! (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I agree completely and it was a very well-written article. I am very impressed (and still giggling about the taco thing.)
    November 29th, 2008 at 03:34am
  • Vicious.

    Vicious. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Lebanon
    This was a very interesting article, though I personally don't agree with it.

    One thing I would like to point out is when you talked about all people needing to become christians as children. I think you may have misinterpreted that verse. It means that at any age you can become a christian, but you should be humble...at least that's what I believe.

    Anyway, well written article. I like seeing everybody's point of view.
    November 26th, 2008 at 09:09pm
  • Freaka.

    Freaka. (220)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    You should read Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion. You'd find yourself nodding and going "see! this is what I was saying!"
    Although I do agree with La Princesca Muerta in that you could have done a lot more for this.
    November 26th, 2008 at 04:52pm
  • Iago-Disco

    Iago-Disco (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Who honestly believes you can write a non-biased article about religious Fatih. Either, you believe the big dude with the beard created the world or... you don't...
    And if you were to do a [i]hypothetically[/i] unbiased article on Christianity, you'd look like an atheist, because it would seem as if you were presenting the religion as a bunch of weird fairy tales with no basis in fact.. wait a minute....

    Anyhoo, interesting article, although i believe consumerism is the wrong term. I think what you meant to say was that religion relies on people's greed.... do what we say and you'll have EVERYTHING YOU"VE EVER DESIRED... lol...

    Gabe
    November 25th, 2008 at 10:22am
  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    OK, La Princess Muerta is just being retarded now.
    I GET that you disagree with me. But you don't have to waste comment space saying so. I get your point, that you disagree. There's really no reason to keep hassling. If you wanna argue with atheists, there is a thread for that.
    November 24th, 2008 at 07:31am
  • FnHeroes

    FnHeroes (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    it seems to me that no-one here is actually noticing that what this guy/girl is saying MAKES SENSE. Its not an atheist side of the same argument, it's an argument that doesn't rely on 'well, some guy with a beard and a robe can cure cancer. I think i read that somewhere.'
    So, for once, i have nothing to argue with.
    good work
    November 24th, 2008 at 01:00am
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    [i]It is about control.people like to believe that they are making a difference in people's lives.[/i]

    There's a difference between liking control and liking the feeling that you have made a difference in people's lives :-|

    I am going to stop reading these now, because you're clearly unable to understand that people disagree with you and aren't wrong for doing so, and that will only bother me. I read your article and drew my own conclusions, which is apparently what you wanted. But apparently my conclusions were also wrong :-S

    It's a confusing world we live in.
    November 23rd, 2008 at 02:37pm
  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    I think blitzkriegBOOM has a valid point there. It is about control.people like to believe that they are making a difference in people's lives.
    November 23rd, 2008 at 01:36pm
  • blitzkriegBOOM

    blitzkriegBOOM (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I think that you saying that people don't believe is a bit harsh; the [i]victims[/i] of religion believe it, but maybe the people 'in charge' are just as greedy as your common internet con-artist.

    By victims, I mean kids who have grown up blindly believing, and have never questioned it.

    I think religions are fascinating, and if you strictly look at the text(s) of the religion, they convey a benign message- but then so many religions were created for/used for getting the masses under control. A few examples include Hinduism's Caste System, Confucianism's strict patriarchal teachings and even Christianity was used to control people.

    Religion isn't exactly about consumerism- I think religion is about control.
    November 23rd, 2008 at 08:40am
  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    you should be able to see the evidence and draw your own conclusion from it. I'm not gonna tell you what to think.
    November 23rd, 2008 at 07:28am
  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    i didn't really write it to make a point, It's just an observation.
    November 23rd, 2008 at 07:27am
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Your point is not "exactly".

    :-|

    You wrote an article to make a point, we seem to have missed it, and for that I heartily apologise. Do be a sport and enlighten us, will you?

    Before I become an Enid Blyton character entirely o.O
    November 22nd, 2008 at 06:21pm
  • jane elliot .

    jane elliot . (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    "It is even mentioned in the Bible that one should only be allowed into the ‘Kingdom of Heaven’ should they convert as a child: 'Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.' [Mathew 18:3]"

    That's not what that scripture means at all. Jesus wasn't saying that you have to have been converted to Christianity as a child to enter heaven. Throughout the Bible, Jesus uses children as an example of spiritual purity, as a time in life when there is no evil and only joy in living. He's saying that one must become as one of these children, pure of heart, to enter the Kingdom.
    November 22nd, 2008 at 06:03pm
  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    Exactly.
    November 22nd, 2008 at 05:31pm
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Well what is your point? In the interests of sating my curiosity?
    November 22nd, 2008 at 05:09pm
  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    It's funny, because no-one is noticing my point here.
    So if you are unable to see the satirical side of things, I'm not going to bother pointing them out.
    My opinion is what it is, you can't change it. So mean-spirited comments are truly unnessessary.
    November 22nd, 2008 at 03:58pm
  • givexmexaxreason

    givexmexaxreason (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with La Princessa Muerta.
    A sign of a good unbiased article is one where you cannot obviously tell the viewpoint of the author. By reading this article it was VERY obvious that you are an atheist. There is no need to post articles on here bashing anything.
    And as a Catholic indoctrinated at birth I can tell you that I can leave my religion at any time I want and no-one will disown me.
    November 22nd, 2008 at 03:57pm
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I'd say a lot of people genuinely believe. The cases of brainwashing are few, and they're [i]cults[/i]. Sects within Christianity or Islam primarily, and if you think their beliefs are shared by every Muslim or Christian then you really do need to get out and talk to people more.

    I'm actually rather disappointed in your article. You could have made some good points, but instead you did the atheist equivalent of "GOD IS GOOD! BELIEVE OR YOU WILL GO TO HELL!"

    I don't mean to offend you by saying this, but a lot more fact, a lot more thought, and a lot less opinion... that could have made this article something to be taken seriously. As it is I'm not even remotely religious and I'm offended.

    Sorry.
    November 22nd, 2008 at 02:59pm