Ranting, Pushy, Uninhibited Teen Catholics - Comments

  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    btw, most of the 'holidays' you mention as not being celebrated the same are 'holidays' that were revamped so they can convert more people to whichever religion. in other words you really shouldn't have all that many 'holidays' to begin with. and to the person that said that being allowed to study other religions being as that the other religions are obscure you've just cheated yourself. all by calling them obscure. that in itself is still being ignorant, and that is not going into something with an alleged open mind. going into something open-minded does not mean you're going to "fall into it's trap" or whichever else scare tactic was used, if any.
    September 8th, 2009 at 10:05am
  • aluminum foil

    aluminum foil (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This is an honest question, and I am asking without any sarcasm whatsoever, but is it really considered a really bad sin to read about Wicca or to read Harry Potter in the Catholic Church?

    I think it is kind of interesting, and a little cute that you think that makes you an imperfect Catholic. Because compared to how bad of a Christian I am, you look like a saint. And I'm not saying I'm like an ax murderer or anything, but in my church [Lutheran, Missouri Synod] reading about Wicca isn't even considered bad. We're encouraged to do research on other religions. We spent like three months in Bible Study learning about obscure religions, Judiasm, Hinduism, and Buddhism, though the latter isn't really considered a religion.

    I don't think exploring other religions is bad at all, and I think reading Harry Potter is perfectly fine, as long as you don't take it literal, like start believing that magic [in the Harry Potter sense] is real.
    February 2nd, 2009 at 05:47am
  • FnHeroes

    FnHeroes (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    haha magg at least you've admitted something - for once at least. You know i don't agree with any of this 'one and only' stuff, but is there a pointo to me giving you dirt about it here?
    credit for giving that inch of ground though. Keep it up and you might have something worth talking about
    December 31st, 2008 at 08:07am
  • Chandy_Girl

    Chandy_Girl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I agree
    I'm Catholic and definatly ain't the perfect one (though I go to a bloody Catholic school)
    Yeah I've read Sweep, but they call it Wicca here
    December 15th, 2008 at 09:15pm
  • givexmexaxreason

    givexmexaxreason (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    Nice article. I fully agree. Us Catholics are cool, but so is everyone else.
    December 13th, 2008 at 06:03pm
  • MaggAims2Live

    MaggAims2Live (865)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I know what Atheism is, thank you. I also know that there's nothing wrong with being a Catholic . . . I am one.
    December 13th, 2008 at 02:47pm
  • definite_darkness

    definite_darkness (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Philippines
    Nothing's wrong with being a Catholic. I mean, there are billions of people out there in the world and not everyone have the same ideals and upbringing as each of us. I guess it depends with the person. If he/she (in any religion) was brought up with good moral values then that's already fine. The teachings of the Church were not meant to be followed and memorized; it's just there to guide.

    I personally think that reading vamps. and witchcraft like Harry Potter are not a hindrance to anything. So long as it's not being practiced (i.e. sacrificing real living thins, etc.) to a immoral extent.
    December 13th, 2008 at 10:18am
  • MellyMelMel

    MellyMelMel (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Its ok I am a bad catholic I read all the books possible books about vampires, 2 series about wiccan, and harry potter a million times. Alot of other things too so its ok cause Catholicism is very strict and break the rules very easily.
    December 12th, 2008 at 02:56am
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    You know that atheism is not really a religion, but a non-religion, right?

    My advice would be to just stop putting gas on the fire.
    December 10th, 2008 at 05:03pm
  • Hazel Nemisis

    Hazel Nemisis (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    Not trying to put you down I have never and will most likely never read any other of you articles before this. A woman of no religion, I still believe in an after life because if you don't find something to keep you going why live at all, I have been learning about all kinds of religion through out my life and it is true that 90% of religions are made to keep people in line. Take Catholics for example (If you don't approve of what I night say skip this comment) When the Romans/ Greeks have stopped believing there gods and goddesses The king had gotten mad having no control and therefor created laws in name of the lord, to stop the unacceptable "Crimes" (can't think of a different word) that had been caused. But in some cases it is used to give someone to believe and give morals, and what I have learned of Catholic religions Morals have been mended into it as well like the 10 commandments. But some like Buddhism were created to create a calm peaceful relationship with man, nature, and animal. This being said No matter what religion your in you have your good and bads I might have only named bad for Catholic but it is the one I know the most other then my own little religion that I keep to myself and have taken from others. So I agree somewhat with you. Its not a crime to be punished in what you believe in. Don't be afraid to express it, just don't get cocky about it. I just wish the Christians will with stop going to my door. (My favorite Holiday is Halloween)
    December 10th, 2008 at 04:50am
  • Spiralling Shape

    Spiralling Shape (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    No need to be rude, she's trying to make an apology.
    December 8th, 2008 at 05:18am
  • Cellar.Door

    Cellar.Door (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Australia
    I read up to "I don't mean to critiscize Pagans or Wiccans or Atheists"
    and projectile vomited all over my computer screen.
    December 7th, 2008 at 02:48pm
  • Iago-Disco

    Iago-Disco (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    And the moral of this story is.... Catholic's are people too.. Awww..

    No but seriously...

    Gabe,
    December 7th, 2008 at 07:55am
  • Holly.Is.Retro

    Holly.Is.Retro (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I've always kind of had this weird thing in my head. I always imagined someone to be like, "We got an undecided person on Elm Street," and then Ultra Priest is like, "Bouncing Bibles, Choir Boy! To the Jesus Mobile!" *Batman Music Cue*

    But then I was called obnoxious.

    ...Maybe I'll make my own sitcom...
    December 7th, 2008 at 04:29am
  • Freaka.

    Freaka. (220)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    [i]Did you know atheism's bad for you?[/i]
    Now that's just plain ignorant.
    December 7th, 2008 at 12:34am
  • the.ignorant.one

    the.ignorant.one (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Vanuatu
    Well... The Catholics where I'm from are very different from how you eplain them... My best friend is a catholic, she hates it. My dad is now an ex-catholic and refuses to let me even try it... I guess it just depends on where you are, which town you live in, which church....
    December 6th, 2008 at 10:42pm
  • Telenovela!

    Telenovela! (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I've been a Catholic my entire life. That's what I believe, and I don't feel the need to push it onto other people. I don't think that my religion is better than anyone elses religion, or that my God is better than anyone elses God. It's what I believe, and it's personal to me.
    December 6th, 2008 at 10:02pm
  • strange.

    strange. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Aha, BARFBRAIN beat me to it xD
    December 6th, 2008 at 10:01pm
  • SkeeSkee

    SkeeSkee (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I was raised to become catholic, but then I relized that it is just a hoax(in my opinion) and so I am not in any religion nor beleive in any god.
    I believe that religion was made to keep people in line.
    December 6th, 2008 at 09:55pm
  • skullring

    skullring (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Napalm; if you are going to preach "editing" please spell common words right (:
    December 6th, 2008 at 08:38pm