Ganguro - Japanese Girls Gone... Tan? - Comments

  • Slaughter Me Happy

    Slaughter Me Happy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I tried Ganguro one day. Everyone in my school laughed. My teacher even talked behind my back. He's almost forty, saying that I'm ridiculous. I laughed, but now I hate him a little bit for that.
    Also, a couple people almost crapped themselves when they say me, others laughed. People would stop and stare. Some peopple just kept walking back and forth just so they could see me...and laugh.
    I don't think that the Western World is as accepting as the fashionably conscious.
    June 15th, 2009 at 10:53pm
  • ROBOT.....mylove

    ROBOT.....mylove (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    43
    Location:
    United States
    hmm, i dont appreciate you really blasting out on japenese...this may be because for a fact i AM japenese..and i lived in tokyo for awhile and saw how the ganguro were...and manba....they arent all even like that, they havre lives and dont waste it doing those stereotypical things...although you are right that some of them do have this kind of reputation going over their heads..and alot of manba are bitchy!
    but back to the point...japan is awesome! and i like it because its my place!
    and not everything there revolves around the ganguro or manba...and hime...well the hime are cooler though.
    yet i moved out of tokyo now and live in okinawa now.
    and i go to an boardingschool filled with yamanba girls....hehe
    April 3rd, 2009 at 10:43pm
  • Convenient

    Convenient (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    OMG
    I remember reading peach girl like 2 years ago...
    and it's about this girl and people teased her and called her ganguro and everything because she was so tan and her hair was bleached from swimming in the water :D
    nice article, something different other than all these suicide or gay support articles that have been posted.
    March 29th, 2009 at 02:33pm
  • Lucy In The Sky

    Lucy In The Sky (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Austria
    There’s one thing that really bummed me about this article: The fact that you named Hime as a sub-category of Ganguro.
    To get this straight: Hime has nothing to do with Ganguro/Manba. Except they're all Gyaru. A Hime would probably rather be dead than associated with Ganguro in any way.
    Their styles are completely different, from clothing to make-up. Hime gals are not even tanned. They just like to dress like princesses (sleek, sophisticated, fancy) and look like a million bucks, which starkly contrasts with the funky style (neon-coloured outfits and the typical tan with white make-up) of Ganguros/Manbas.
    So please, get your facts straight before posting articles.
    March 26th, 2009 at 09:49pm
  • Sara

    Sara (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Canada
    ...that's just...creepy.
    October 27th, 2008 at 04:24am
  • Shani Friant

    Shani Friant (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Honestly,if this were in the US, people would be outraged,but why is it that in another article a Japanese chick was whining about us taking THIER culture?
    I am black AND japanese. I am kinda upset over this,though. I want to move to Kyoto with the love of my life in a few years, but sadly, he assumes the foreigner policy wasn't real and that if he wants to be accepted he has to adapt to the way they want and they may or may not want him-His dream has ALWAYS been to live there. I say that it WAS actually offensive to see something portrayed as racist here in the states as something totally justified and cool, just because"It's Japan" That isn't cool at all, Blackface was something that some of the white circus oweners had as acts:Dressing the white folks up in rags, putting on fake lips and then painting them black as Hell for a few bucks,I know,I know:Too offended by a little article, I just thought you all noticed. I did, and it hurt.
    I'm sorry if I sounded racist to any of you. I come from both sides, though. I am just dissapointed from the article tallking of us Americans copying the Japanese and then finding that it's ok for them to stereotype and use something like that and make it "cool". Just my opinion, I jusy\t kinda cracked and I'm sorry if none of you like this.
    Signed, Ren.
    A Blasian in remorse
    August 11th, 2008 at 07:07am
  • Sister Ginger

    Sister Ginger (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    If i'm not mistaken, isn't 'Peach Girl' about a Ganguro girl?

    -thinks- Ummm, in a way. The main character is tan, unlike all the other girls but she doesn't have white-blonde hair. It's more of an orange color.

    Anyway, I loved this article and now I really want to look up some more outrageous Japanese fashion trends. <3
    August 9th, 2008 at 07:24pm
  • Kyra

    Kyra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    So, they're the scene kids of Japan?
    August 2nd, 2008 at 09:30pm
  • Rick Astley

    Rick Astley (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    Australia
    Im pretty sure the author would have just been quoting what the girls thought they were imitating. Not everyone thinks all Californians are what we see on the OC, you know.

    And the prostiution part is just what the Japanese media cover. Again, you're mixing oppinion with representation.

    Anyway, back on track, god I love Ganguro girls. I went to Japan last year and got some great photos of them. If there's one thing those girls love it's a photo.
    March 17th, 2008 at 10:30am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Interesting.
    February 17th, 2008 at 07:43am
  • BrionnaxROCKETSHIP

    BrionnaxROCKETSHIP (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    [i]Japan can even make bleached hair and fake tans cool.[/i]

    Couldn't agree more.

    I am totally fascinated by obnoxious fashion and the like. It's very fabulous. I like how the originality in Japan gets so much publicity when mostly, american teens are fashion zombies one way or another.

    *applause*
    January 25th, 2008 at 02:59am
  • blitzkriegBOOM

    blitzkriegBOOM (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    [i]The look is said to be inspired by 'California School Girls', people that young Japanese women have been trying to imitate for some time. And like any style, it has more than a few sub-categories.[/i]

    O_O The look is cute, and I have to admit I find it really attractive... but CALIFORNIA SCHOOL GIRL? That's way off. I would know: I live in California and go to school. x_x I hate it that everyone believes all California girls to be tan and blonde.
    (Hello, I'm pale as snow. >_<)

    Other than that slight complaint, this article is really interesting! I may even look up more Japenese fashion for my own enjoyment... o.O
    January 19th, 2008 at 02:03pm
  • Butterbutt.

    Butterbutt. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    The prostitution part is a little wrong.
    Most people, even Ganguros in Japan, aren't fucking whores.
    They don't just sell themselves.
    January 13th, 2008 at 05:24pm
  • pickawiltedrose

    pickawiltedrose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Japan can even make bleached hair and fake tans cool.
    <3
    January 12th, 2008 at 08:37am
  • ThisisDeleted

    ThisisDeleted (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    i've heard about this before.
    my mom went to japan in the late '80s, and she said the Ganguro style was popular even back then.
    i love japanese fashion...but i think this might be tking things just a bit far.
    If i'm not mistaken, isn't 'Peach Girl' about a Ganguro girl?
    January 7th, 2008 at 02:09am
  • Lyddy Cool

    Lyddy Cool (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    wow... that sure looks weird. not my idea of pretty, i hate fake tan XD still, loving the crazy coloured clothes and hair XD
    January 2nd, 2008 at 03:32am
  • BETH bites.

    BETH bites. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    This is really interesting! I've always admired Japanese culture, but I had never heard of something like this. I personally love the look, I think its really unique and out there. Girls don't need to do that to themselves, though, Japanese girls are beautiful. I love the bright colours and how they dye their hair and stand out - not too keen on the prostitution. Amazing article!
    January 2nd, 2008 at 01:05am
  • Kayne.Fakerr

    Kayne.Fakerr (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Amazing article, I was really fascinated. But then again I've always been interested in Japanese Fashion.. teen fashion anyways. Where did you learn about this?

    Hmm, as intense as this new trend there is, I'll always be involved in Lolita Goths.
    December 30th, 2007 at 03:43pm
  • Technibabble

    Technibabble (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    I like the way that you point out that this fashion is taking the traditoional Japaneese look and "turning it upside down".

    Very interesting artice.
    December 29th, 2007 at 03:45pm
  • forgotten16

    forgotten16 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    oh my
    i love the young japanese culture stuff.
    it's really interesting and so much more different than america's teen fads
    December 29th, 2007 at 01:26am