Forced Marriage versus Arranged Marriage - Comments

  • polka

    polka (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    South Africa
    I actually want an arranged marriage. Like I want some lady to phone and say "Listen, there´s this guy. He´s 24. He´s an engineer and he wants to come see your daughter. Can he come?" and then my mum would agree and he would come that following saturday and we´d talk in one room while mine and his parents have tea together. And if we like each other, meet a second or third time and then he´d phone to put the proposal together and then I would accept because I really like him. And if I don´t like him... then... we might have to wait for the next auntie to phone.
    I think it´s really romantic that i would get to fall in love with my husband for who he is and not who he might pretend to be. Because you can´t pretend when you´re living together.
    March 18th, 2013 at 12:07am
  • fifteenwishes101

    fifteenwishes101 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    This is very interesting! I believe people should be allowed to fall in love. And I find arranged marriages really interesting. My own parents had part arranged (they were set up) and part love (they liked each other) marriage :)
    June 16th, 2012 at 11:20am
  • Dead..

    Dead.. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    101
    Location:
    United States
    I love you so much for writing this. People do not understand the differences between an arranged marriage and a force one.

    My parents have told me that if I fall in love with someone and he is accepted by them, I could marry him but if I don't find love on my own, it will be an arranged marriage. If I don't like the guy, then he is kicked off the list. Many parents that plan an arranged marriage are actually very considerate.
    June 15th, 2012 at 04:43am
  • AnonymousK

    AnonymousK (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I really like your article. You made some really good points, that many people choose not to think of.
    June 12th, 2012 at 05:05am
  • Sinuzaki

    Sinuzaki (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    There were a few mistakes in grammar/spelling but it was a very nice article.

    Have you ever read the book "Half the Sky?" It's very interesting! You should check it out, as it has some things relating to this.
    June 12th, 2012 at 12:22am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    It was very nice that you showed the difference of forced versus arranged marriages because they are not the same and I don't think a lot of Westerners bother to make the distinction.
    June 11th, 2012 at 07:23pm
  • ladyschrei

    ladyschrei (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I just want to say that I am so thankful my parents would never try to force, or arrange, a marriage for me. We are not of any religion that does that and for that, I am glad.

    Overall, this was a good article, thought I found some spelling errors here or there.
    June 11th, 2012 at 01:17am
  • The Swan Queen

    The Swan Queen (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    This has to be one of the best articles I have read! It was beautifully written! I thought it was refreshing that you have first hand knowledge of it, from your cousin, rather than someone who does not have personal knowledge of it writing an article about it.
    June 11th, 2012 at 12:44am