Double Standards for Hollywood - Comments

  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    Granted, technically none of them are pedophiles. They're Ephebophiles, people attracted to adolescents.
    December 1st, 2012 at 01:00am
  • Carriah420

    Carriah420 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This piece was riveting. Very good subject choice, and you did a wonderful job executing it. (:
    November 26th, 2012 at 03:06am
  • Chaos Walking

    Chaos Walking (255)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    To just jump around the debate going on, I have to say that it's the kind of thing to be expected from the Daily Mail. They're not exactly famous for giving unbiased and true reports. They're the newspaper who write for the readers, not for the truth.
    November 24th, 2012 at 01:16pm
  • ur_best_nightmare

    ur_best_nightmare (210)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    I completely agree with this. I hate how media promotes all these behaviors that they shouldn't necessarily be encouraging, and then wants to look down upon those who behave the same way. Its so ridiculous.
    November 23rd, 2012 at 09:37pm
  • Sara_K

    Sara_K (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    InsaneArtist:
    When they got married she was 16 and he was 51. He was her teacher and acting coach. They claim soul mate connect, yet in all of their interviews she's extremely sexualized. It looks more like he's enjoying a sex doll rather than a life partner.
    Yeah, they're on that celebrity marriage counseling show. The guy is actually an actor from "The Green Mile" which shocked me. But anyway, when they introduce themselves in the beginning of the show, he says "I'm raising my wife." That, too me, says it all. He even sees her as a child, someone he's "raising." Which to me is absolutely disgusting. A 51-year-old looking at a 16-year-old in a sexual way is pedophilia. End of story.

    I also agree with dru will wait. The media can be an easy scapegoat, and it's completely up to you how much media and which types you decide to absorb in your daily life. You control how you let the media affect you. As a journalist, I'm well aware of the crappy media we have here in the U.S. It's politically divided, very biased, and nothing more than fear mongering.
    November 23rd, 2012 at 07:01pm
  • ashleeinwonderland

    ashleeinwonderland (860)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ dru will wait.
    I don't know anybody that had slept with a teacher, just had a relationship. I also did more research for the piece and interviewed different people, as it was written for uni. I also didn't say that you did not have a legit reason to believe what you do. That's completely your choice and I do agree with it to an extent. As I said, I do think that the teacher is to blame, yet I also suggesting that the media may have influenced the teenager in some way.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 04:45pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ ashleeinwonderland
    You were using the fact that you knew people who had slept with their teachers, so that is the only reason I brought up my previous experience. If it's a legit reason for you to know people, then it's a legit reason for me.

    I think people always want to blame someone else, so they find a scapegoat. The media is an easy one. But the ultimate blame always lies with the pedophile who took advantage of a vulnerable child.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 04:29pm
  • ashleeinwonderland

    ashleeinwonderland (860)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ dru will wait.
    I am not, in any way, stating that the teacher should not have any blame. I am simply implying that there are other factors involved and that the media may in fact be one. I understand that you might disagree based on your own experiences, but this is my opinion from what I found based upon my research.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 04:22pm
  • Careless Whisper.

    Careless Whisper. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    37
    Location:
    United States
    @ dru will wait.

    Exactly. As much as teenagers might like to think they're adults, they're not. They can easily be manipulated in situations such as this and they don't even realise they're victims until later on. The movie Trust is a good example of how these pedophiles work and sadly how they often get away with it. While the media might sometimes make light of these things they're not to blame when it happens.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 03:57pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ ashleeinwonderland
    It's easy to say someone doesn't have a choice when you don't understand how pedophiles and shit work. A teacher who will have sex with a student is abusing their power and is taking advantage of a younger person in a situation where they have no power. They may not realize what's happening, but it is happening.

    The choice is not as much the victim's as it is the pedophile's.

    As I was groomed by an internet pedophile, I know a thing or two about how people like that work.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 08:33am
  • ashleeinwonderland

    ashleeinwonderland (860)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ Looking at Stars
    I completely agree. Although I will admit to occasionally looking on their website, I don't trust anything that The Daily Mail says.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 01:57am
  • Looking at Stars

    Looking at Stars (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    The Daily Mail is akin to The Sun. Newspapers like that are just mindless tabliods that report nothing of significance and quite often abuse the truth, and make things up. Hence the Daily Mail saying that the 15 year old was groomed, and manipulated. Could very well be true, but it is the Daily Mail and so the validity of what they say shouldn't be trusted or even used to back up an argument.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 01:19am
  • Looking at Stars

    Looking at Stars (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    The Daily Mail is akin to The Sun. Newspapers like that are just mindless tabliods that report nothing of significance and quite often abuse the truth, and make things up. Hence the Daily Mail saying that the 15 year old was groomed, and manipulated. Could very well be true, but it is the Daily Mail and so the validity of what they say shouldn't be trusted or even used to back up an argument.
    November 22nd, 2012 at 01:19am
  • ashleeinwonderland

    ashleeinwonderland (860)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ dru will wait.
    Yes, because I don't think that she was 'groomed' by him, as I know more than one person who has had a relationship with a teacher or somebody a lot older than them and it was their choice just as much as it was the other person's.
    November 21st, 2012 at 08:49pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    @ ashleeinwonderland
    I just seemed to get that impression from this statement in particular: "the Daily Mail went as far as to claim that Stammers was being ‘groomed’ by the teacher".

    Saying that "they went as far as to claim" seems that the person writing that is shocked and doesn't agree with the statement. It was the way it was worded that seemed very ... weird to me.
    November 21st, 2012 at 08:03pm
  • ashleeinwonderland

    ashleeinwonderland (860)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ dru will wait.
    I really wasn't implying that at all.
    November 21st, 2012 at 07:51pm
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    I think you seem to suggest the media brainwashed the girl into thinking this was okay and her older, adult teacher was just a poor shmuck taken along for a ride.

    He did groom her, he's a sexual predator, and he should be in prison for his crimes.

    I agree the media has a lot of flaws, but to suggest that it is more to blame than a pedophile is pretty bizarre.
    November 21st, 2012 at 07:08pm
  • InsaneArtist

    InsaneArtist (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    When they got married she was 16 and he was 51. He was her teacher and acting coach. They claim soul mate connect, yet in all of their interviews she's extremely sexualized. It looks more like he's enjoying a sex doll rather than a life partner.
    How that relates to Stammers, I'm not quite sure. I think that would be more on the pedophilic side since he was a real life teacher and authority figure rather than in Courtney's life, they were in contact through the internet. But maybe both cases are abuse cases. I can't judge people's experiences and abuses.
    As far as Stodden and that old man, I don't live with them, so what judgment call can I really make? They claim to be pretty Christian, so I guess God will have to judge their motives when the day comes.
    I still think it's gross, but I think half the point of their marriage was for the publicity.
    November 20th, 2012 at 08:36pm
  • LookingForSophie

    LookingForSophie (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    @ ashleeinwonderland Ohhh I got really confused then :P For some reason I thought it happened in England, because otherwise it didn't make much sense for it to get so much press coverage over here :P I don't really follow that kinda of news aha Oh well either way, just leave them too it :L If her parents are okay with it he must be alright on some levels
    November 20th, 2012 at 10:08am
  • ashleeinwonderland

    ashleeinwonderland (860)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ SeanSmithSucks I think Robin was talking about Doug when she mentioned going to jail, which happened in Vegas. It's illegal in most states to get married at that age, even with parental consent, which is why they went there for the wedding.
    November 20th, 2012 at 01:12am