Death and Bereavement: The Psychological Viewpoint - Comments

  • KingSquishy

    KingSquishy (1900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ Double Infinity.
    It's easy to see why
    December 13th, 2013 at 07:48am
  • the god of thunder.

    the god of thunder. (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    @ Xia;
    I don't think it's a "limit," I think it's just a cautionary tool to help diagnose and treat before depression leads to self harm, suicidal ideation, and actual suicide. I think depression is just so stigmatized that it seems like an unfair title to put on somebody after such an intense and horrible incident.

    -

    I love the differentiation of "deaths."
    In psych, we did some perception work in which we learned that consciousness is in the mind, and so death of the brain is essentially death of your ability to perceive anything. I think that scares me, to some degree.
    December 12th, 2013 at 12:09am
  • KingSquishy

    KingSquishy (1900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ Xia;
    I'm glad you think so, and I am very sorry to hear about your father. Yes, the DSM V is, to me, a completely useless document which is invalid to almost 100% of life, the DSM IV TR was not much better, but it had its advantages which certainly outweighed the ones of the DSM V, they seem to be dong that thing again - you know where they take a document worth using and destroy it?
    December 11th, 2013 at 04:27pm
  • River Young;

    River Young; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Belgium
    Two weeks, really? Wow, my dad died nine years ago and I'm still getting over it. I can't believe they consider to weeks to be the limit. That's ridiculous. Truth is, I don't think you ever get over something like that.

    Wonderful article. Very interesting.
    December 11th, 2013 at 08:06am
  • KingSquishy

    KingSquishy (1900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    @ That Dizzy Dreamer
    You're right, I dislike the DSM V and think the works of William Shakespeare more valid in mental health and psychology -./

    Most psychologists would say the time varies it differs from person to person :) and there isn't, as such, a too long period
    December 11th, 2013 at 06:58am
  • That Dizzy Dreamer

    That Dizzy Dreamer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Can we take a moment to discuss how in the DSM-5, the new amount of time considered for "bereavement" is 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS. Because we all know thats how long it takes for someone to get over a death of someone they raised, someone who raised them, someone they loved. Yeah, whatever.
    If you go over that 2 week limit, you are diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. I think this is ridiculous. Who are we to tell someone after, for example, they lose someone they've been married to for forty years. "Oh hey you have two weeks to get over the death of your spouse, and if you take longer than that you have MDD." This is wrong. So wrong.

    Sorry, rant over.

    Beautifully written article. I really enjoyed it.
    December 11th, 2013 at 04:25am