DADT Repealed: Landmark Human Rights or Impractical Oversight? - Comments

  • Vicious.

    Vicious. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Lebanon
    DADT was put into place to protect homosexuals from harassment, not to keep them from joining the military. I think many things should be "don't ask, don't tell" in the military, because there are many things that could cause unrest between soldiers.
    October 25th, 2011 at 07:17pm
  • Zazoo

    Zazoo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Yes :] Now I can join the Air Force :]
    January 15th, 2011 at 09:28pm
  • Bad Girl

    Bad Girl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    this is pretty much how people felt about blacks being involved in the military. were they discriminated against? Yes. but did it change over time? absolutely.
    Homosexuals aren't attracted to everyone of their sex, remember that. They're not making military life any harder or in anyway negative. There isn't real sidifference between now and before the repeal except that they're llowed to be gay. whether or not thier open about it has changed, and I would like to think that won't be bothersome.
    Also, because of this change, I see gay marriage being very quickly permitted.
    January 2nd, 2011 at 06:36am
  • folie a dru.

    folie a dru. (1270)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    I'm a military child. My stepdad's in the service and he wants it overturned. He doesn't think it would be a problem. Just sayin'.
    December 25th, 2010 at 08:42pm
  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I meant disturbed, not disrobed!
    December 24th, 2010 at 04:03am
  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    At first I wasn’t happy about the repeal. I myself am looking into future service. I examined the reasons why I didn’t like it. I’m not homophobic, I have gay friends and all and I don’t like PDA of any orientation. I realized that the reason I didn’t like it was because of the showering situation. Women shower with women, men with men. So I now wonder if there will be separate showers and other “precautions?”

    Will this cost more to take “precautions?”
    I could never find any data on how many service members are actually gay. Know any numbers?

    I know cohesion will be disrobed on the fact that today men don’t want women amongst them. It makes me wonder if gay troops will be shunned, isolated, or humiliated.

    I’m a firm believer in allowing the military to make their own decisions. I guess we all have to just wait and see what happens.
    December 24th, 2010 at 01:58am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I'm quite happy that this has been repealed, as well.
    I would challenge your statement, that laws are made for the sterotypes and not the exception: most laws I see are either made to protect or outlaw the exception, depending on what it is. To protect the stereotypes, maybe...I'm not sure if I would say for them.
    And well, women are now integrated into the military. There's always going to be an emergency you can hold up and thus decree that it's 'not the right time' to shake the boat. Today, it's the Iraq war. Tomorrow, there [i]will[/i] be something else. Sometimes you just have to go for it and accept the consequences. Because honestly, in the long run, I can't think of a consequence that is ultimately worse than discriminating against and denying people the right to serve their country just because of their orientation.
    Sure, members of the Army might end up uncomfortable. But they're fighting at least partially for human rights/to end discrimination after all( at least on paper)...and it'd be quite hypocritical if they didn't implement that themselves.
    December 23rd, 2010 at 04:43am
  • Cronads

    Cronads (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I am more than happy that DADT has been repelled. Honestly, I don't see how the policy could have done any good. The "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy was strictly discriminatory.
    December 23rd, 2010 at 04:02am