Another Physics Theory Thrown in the Trash; Is This a Farewell to Dark Matter? - Comments

  • HeartsinMotion

    HeartsinMotion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    Where did you hear that Einstein's theory was disproved, 'cause I can't find it anywhere on the internet.
    June 13th, 2012 at 01:18am
  • The Master

    The Master (15)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Einstein's theories is only sub-group of several theories of causality. It does not necessarily mean that dark matter is bunk. After all, what about Chaos Theory and Quantum Mechanics? The speed of light isn't really...important in quantum physics. Even so, is it not merely an artefact of the availability of scientific equipment of the age? Newton's theories do not work at all in modern physics yet they are still used and still referred to.

    Dark matter only takes up less than a quarter of the universe. If it's not present in certain conditions then surely that would imply that there are conditions to it's prescence? It's not good science to throw out a theory based on a single experiment, especially one that does not disprove it entirely.
    June 6th, 2012 at 01:00am
  • Julie Black

    Julie Black (650)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I think it is a little too soon to completely pull the plug on the dark matter theory. The article you cited talks about dark matter being absent around the sun, but didn't seek to disprove its existence all together. In fact, half of it was arguments supporting the theory of dark matter, such as how "something" holds the outlying stars of our galaxy (like the ones in the halo) in "place." Without a great amount of gravity (coming from a great amount of matter) the stars in the outer-most places would float off and orbit something more massive (in theory).
    This was a well-written article though, I just think you jumped the gun a bit.
    June 5th, 2012 at 03:49am