Who's to Blame: The Parents, the Children or the Health Professionals? - Comments

  • @ discoveringclouds
    you too. :)
    August 6th, 2013 at 03:28pm
  • @ Lyndon Lockwood
    Awesome. Good luck writing. And my university is strict too but if we want to be scholars/doctors we have to use legit sources. :) and I totally understand, I'm glad you just read it instead of addressing it. That was what I wanted more, lol. :P

    Take care.
    August 4th, 2013 at 06:26pm
  • @ discoveringclouds
    Heym I dont dispute your right. sourcing's a *** though, no excuse I know.. My Universty are too strict on sorucing and so when I get a chance to write on subject related topics outside of uni I tend to not source as much (or at all) I have provied sources in later articles and I think I mentoned some on here... :? I dont recall and havent got anyone here to read for me.. Shucks. As far as addressing all in your comments as I may like to, thats gonna be hard, theyre long and I got the basics you meant by them. I'm not ignoring your points in not addressing hem :P
    August 4th, 2013 at 08:27am
  • I read in a comment below that you didn't want I make this piece formal. I totally understand. But see, you're dealing with an extremely sensitive, heart wrenching topic. Delegitimizing your entire article by saying you didn't want to source because its expensive makes it sound like you don't know what you are talking about! And I know you don't that. :P

    As for sources there are public libraries in every country and most small and large communities. Also Google scholar had free books and articles. Also you can usually visit and read at open libraries for free without checking anything out of their system.

    Avoid reducing the quality if your work by cutting out legitimate sources or saying you don't know stuff. If we don't know, we can find out! :D

    Humans have a natural curiosity to know why, so why should we believe you? (Mostly we look for sources as proof) so that's why I'm mentioning this :)
    August 4th, 2013 at 12:51am
  • Interesting article. You should consider further articles or publishing in academic journals when you do university or a doctorate. That would be a great next step!

    One thing I will say that may be improved on is the relativity. It may be true that we know more about illnesses because of advancements and we should be thankful for that, and I am glad we have these as well, however we can't discredit the fact that environment had an effect on people. Communities and families have huge effects on individuals. In certain Asian countries if a neighbour steals they are not sent to jail but have to apologize to the neighbour and pay them back or ask forgiveness. The act of shaming a person is the pubishment. And the persons honour is very important in this society. Also crime is very low compared to the U.S. that just focuses on creating more jails rather than solving issues that make more criminals. ( a bigger topic that many journals write about that we can read about further online).

    There are sociological effects that make these diseases more prominent and perhaps make them even worse.

    Something to chew on:

    My professor said that there is high individualism in America and high community based living in Japan. With Canada in the middle with some individualism but an ultimate community based structure. Interestingly the mental illness rate in America is the highest in the world, Canada is in the middle and Japan is on the lowest end with fewer mental illnesses. My professor correlated the high individualism with mental stress/ diseases.

    There is more to learn there but definetly only thinking of ourselves or living 'The Dream' might make people lose sight of caring for themselves and others( which is a main decision factor of these diseases).

    I find this interesting and even personally I see the differences between people who live a more humble life where they care about their community and surroundings more than just themselves and the people who want for themselves and obsess over their desires of new stuff and video watching and just pleasures over work or productivity.

    There's even scholars discussing the sociology of science such as Zaheer barber- who had lived all around the world and teaches around the world as well.

    For this article, I feel that more perspectives need to be legitimized; take on a more dynamic view. It feels like you said that social influences don't matter as much and that we only see more illness because we have more medicine and doctors.

    Overall a very thought provoking article. I can tell you will be writing many more articles. Try to source more, you probably want to get published one day. I know that would be awesome. So start off strong. Our opinions are great, but the truth ( gained from our knowledge and finding out more) is indisputable. And sourcing your work makes work stronger.

    All the best.
    August 4th, 2013 at 12:44am
  • @ Aly Jones I hadn't noticed so thanks :)
    Yeh, its meant to be debate provoking, I'm a studying psychologist and the amount of people I already see placing blame all over the place for literally everything is outrageous.. It's not just blame they pass either, I could go on and on about the amount of people who think Mental Health is a laughing matter and a massive joke, really it isn't people. -.- I shan't rant about that though. It's late and I have far too much work I need to be doing. lol
    May 18th, 2013 at 11:36pm
  • "... Allow them too much credit, praise or approval, they'll become self-cantered, self-loving..."
    I'm pretty sure you meant self-centered instead of self-cantered. Just thought I'd help you if you missed it. (If you didn't then please don't yell at me. 0.0 I'm sensitive.)

    This article was very well-written and informative. I loved how you changed wording around and seemed to have an inner argument about whether blame was the right word in one of those paragraphs. It made it seem very real and relatable, made you seem like you were talking to us rather than just writing a school essay.
    May 18th, 2013 at 11:27pm
  • This was an interesting article although I'm not sure it came to a point. I was left wondering what I was supposed to think. It was really well-written though.
    May 16th, 2013 at 10:52pm
  • Placing blames won't solve the problem.
    May 2nd, 2013 at 07:55pm
  • This was really good. It really gets me thinking, my entire family on my moms side all have anxiety and some have depression and panic attacks and some have bigger mental disorders like bipolar and stuff (i personally was diagnosed with OCD). Makes me wonder what exactly makes stuff like this run in a family.
    May 1st, 2013 at 06:35pm
  • This is a very very good point, we are understanding the brain more and more and being offered more insights.
    April 28th, 2013 at 09:31am
  • I have always sworn that there's nothing that we as people are doing 'right' or 'wrong' in society that's causing more mental illnesses. It's simply that the human mind has remained a mystery to us for so long, we're finally advancing until we can properly diagnose and treat people. Mental illness has probably always existed, but they were probably just looked at as 'queer.'
    April 27th, 2013 at 11:11pm
  • @ The Master
    True dat. Yet this is an article I wrote for fun. Not one of my university level reports, articles or essays which on a simple topic like this would have been in more depth with five extra pages, 50 references and an appendices.
    Mostly of the references would be available yes, but through advanced libraries (university or maybe some big state libraries) or at great expense. Other sources I pay large and annual amounts of money to hear.Thus using references to back up my point may have bee completely inappropriate,frustrating,time consuming and far too formal.

    I can offer you references should you feel them essential. You might also prefer to read the observational lab report I will publish on here in just a few days.

    Thanks
    L
    April 27th, 2013 at 08:32am
  • @ Deus Ex Machina
    I sort of agree the easy gaining of info is helping increase yes also society and the way kids are raised is indeed a point, but we could also pin that on rapidly changing norms and values
    April 27th, 2013 at 08:22am
  • You have not backed up a single claim.
    April 27th, 2013 at 04:25am
  • I blame the fact that this information is so readily available. It isn't necessarily a bad thing but there is a strong proportion of "diagnosed" people who just read Wikipedia articles. Everyone in the world has a problem. No one is "normal." Psychiatrists the world over have even admitted that most everyone fits criteria for APD and NPD. Why? Because we're being raised in a world where narcissism and autonomy are glorified. Again, not always bad thing but I believe in the influx in diagnoses can be attributed partially to the structure of society and the selfish, arrogant, entitled attitudes children are being raised with.
    April 27th, 2013 at 03:18am
  • The basics of the approach I was looking at, I'm glad someone agrees, i've read far too many text books that point the blame at people, yet no one takes into account that this information is far more readily availible to regular people now when before, not even long ago it was availible only to professionals and those studying to be professionals
    April 26th, 2013 at 10:14pm
  • As a person with Borderline Personality Disorder, I've come to hate the whole idea of blame. I spent years blaming others for the way I am and it did nothing but hurt me and the people around me. When it comes to mental health the best approach is acceptance. Blaming doesn't change anything. As for the professionals, I only have thanks for those that have treated me in the past and continue to do so now. I think personality disorders are definitely 'more common' these days due to more information, knowledge and education on the matters!
    April 26th, 2013 at 10:08pm